IGNORED

Fortune Builders CV Prototype up for auction -) BH collection piece.

Shantai

Just wanted to let everyone know, I've decided it's time to auction another prized Proto from the Barry Hausman collection.

Fortune Builders Prototype/wip cart with different game play!

It's one of the three items in the collection I believe are the holy grails of that collection.

Ill be moving this year and unfortunately I have to widdle my hobbies down to a few boxes -)

Good Luck all bidders -)

(The other 2 items are the 1984 CES CV Binder, and the Adam Diagnostic cart PROTO. I looked over the Adam cart and it is NOT a commercial release!)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3307011494621?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=330701149462&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Edited by Shantai

ADAM Diagnostic is not actually a prototype cartridge, it is a finished test cartridge that Coleco used In-House as well as provided to service centers like Honeywell and ADAM Users Groups/Mail-Orders. The label is very similar to the proto Fortune Builder label, but has the words "ADAM Diagnostic" printed in blue and, of course, there aren't any detailed copyright info in smaller print at the bottom of the label.

Are you considering auctioning off the Press Kit and ADAM Diagnostic cart as well?

ADAM Diagnostic is not actually a prototype cartridge, it is a finished test cartridge that Coleco used In-House as well as provided to service centers like Honeywell and ADAM Users Groups/Mail-Orders. The label is very similar to the proto Fortune Builder label, but has the words "ADAM Diagnostic" printed in blue and, of course, there aren't any detailed copyright info in smaller print at the bottom of the label.

Are you considering auctioning off the Press Kit and ADAM Diagnostic cart as well?

ahh! ty! That explains the light blue non solid colors -)

Yes I should be auctioning them as well as these in house label protos too: 2010, B.C.'s Quest for tires II. Both have copyright info, but are "airbrushed" sections of the label prior to printing. Nifty carts.

I'm curious tho on the Adam Diagnostic cart. How many are known? I've seen only the copy I have and according to DP, it's a R10.

There are THOUSANDS, if not HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, floating around in people's collections! :evil:

Seriously though, I have not seen one of these since 1998, when I unfortunately sold off my CV & ADAM collection. I also had the ADAM Demonstration cart which came with a similar label but with the words "ADAM Demonstration" in light blue. I would venture a guess that upwards of 1,000 were produced by Coleco to satisfy their needs as well as all the service centers that they contracted with in the U.S., Canada and Foreign markets to provide service/repairs for the ADAM Computer. I would also think that maybe 25 made it into the hands of ADAM Users Groups / ADAM Mail-Order companies... this is how I came into possessing one back in the day.

Coleco did have plans to release it under a series of utility programs named the "SmartPACK Software Series" and funny thing is, even though the cartridge label reads ADAM Diagnostic Cartridge, the initial title screen displays "ADAM Checkout Cartridge". There are also two versions of ADAM Diagnostic, one is copyrighted 1983 and the other 1984. As well all know, Coleco's Jan' '85 announcement of their dropping the ADAM (this decision was made in the summer of '84 in my opinion) put an end to any hopes of a finished commercial release.

As far as Digital Press' rating of an R10, I would have to say that is right on the money... lord knows how many have survived the past 29 years.

ed: BTW, it will only work on an ADAM Computer.

Edited by NIAD

I'm curious tho on the Adam Diagnostic cart. How many are known? I've seen only the copy I have and according to DP, it's a R10.

There are THOUSANDS, if not HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, floating around in people's collections! :evil:

Seriously though, I have not seen one of these since 1998, when I unfortunately sold off my CV & ADAM collection. I also had the ADAM Demonstration cart which came with a similar label but with the words "ADAM Demonstration" in light blue. I would venture a guess that upwards of 1,000 were produced by Coleco to satisfy their needs as well as all the service centers that they contracted with in the U.S., Canada and Foreign markets to provide service/repairs for the ADAM Computer. I would also think that maybe 25 made it into the hands of ADAM Users Groups / ADAM Mail-Order companies... this is how I came into possessing one back in the day.

Coleco did have plans to release it under a series of utility programs named the "SmartPACK Software Series" and funny thing is, even though the cartridge label reads ADAM Diagnostic Cartridge, the initial title screen displays "ADAM Checkout Cartridge". There are also two versions of ADAM Diagnostic, one is copyrighted 1983 and the other 1984. As well all know, Coleco's Jan' '85 announcement of their dropping the ADAM (this decision was made in the summer of '84 in my opinion) put an end to any hopes of a finished commercial release.

As far as Digital Press' rating of an R10, I would have to say that is right on the money... lord knows how many have survived the past 29 years.

ed: BTW, it will only work on an ADAM Computer.

Yeah, It only worked on my Adam. I recently gave the Adam and all the tapes to my friend. But I did test the Diagnostic cart and it worked good. Only stops at the printer test. If I skip it, it goes to the rest and listed the Adam's working/non working list.

Yeah, It only worked on my Adam. I recently gave the Adam and all the tapes to my friend. But I did test the Diagnostic cart and it worked good. Only stops at the printer test. If I skip it, it goes to the rest and listed the Adam's working/non working list.

There are two reasons for it stopping at the ADAM Printer test. The obvious one is that there is something wrong with the communications between the Printer and Memory Console which most likely means a bad printer circuit board and the other would be that you are powering the ADAM with a custom power supply or the power supply that has been removed from the printer, so therefore no Printer is attached.

As you have found, ADAM Diagnostic is a very simplistic test program that does not give any detailed test results that could narrow down any potential problems... it just reports if communication with the different devices PASSes or FAILs. You could do the same tests sans the cartridge and figure out as much and for this reason, it surprises me that Coleco never bothered to officially release this cartridge. :ponder:

Consider also the possibility that those labels are aftermarket or reproductions from official sources like Telegames, who has made eproms and their own labels before. I've never seen a 'prototype' label like that. I'd like to see some pix of the Adam cart.

The Fortune Builder, well if it has different game play then a proto seems likely.

Edited by ianoid

Consider also the possibility that those labels are aftermarket or reproductions from official sources like Telegames, who has made eproms and their own labels before. I've never seen a 'prototype' label like that. I'd like to see some pix of the Adam cart.

While you are correct that the label could have very easily been reproduced/copied by the likes of TeleGames and eColeco (known back in the day as ADAM's House), it is very unlikely in my opinion that they would have wasted their time on such an endeavor... especially since the program was available through all the Users Groups and Mail-Orders on Disk or Data Pack as Public Domain.

TeleGames did indeed show some interest in the ADAM Computer as they released a large number of the ColecoVision cartridge games converted to ADAM disk and data pack format. These included Boulder Dash, Rock 'N Bolt, Alcazar, other Activision titles, Interphase titles and a couple Imagic titles. The disk versions were supplied in zip lock bags with scaled down artwork from their cartridge counterparts and the data pack versions were supplied in the green clamshell boxes exactly like the cartridges. From about 1986-1988, these ADAM versions actually sold quite well through our mail-order and computer store in Lisle, IL.

The Fortune Builder, well if it has different game play then a proto seems likely.

I doubt any of the carts from Barry's collection are Telegames/eColeco, as he was a high ranking employee paid very well by Coleco, and would not risk getting fired or sued. They can be in house "toss togethers" for shows and demos however -) All the carts I opened had coleco branded and or eeprom chips.

I've seen his other Coleco stuff (Cpk, Rambo standees, Star com stuff sealed, etc..) All were in storage from the day he left Coleco after they changed hands.

Edited by Shantai

So when is it going up for auction!!!! :twisted:

If the FB cart does well, Ill be listing the Adam cart as well as the binder soon after that!

:P You're no better than my wife with all this waiting!!! :P

But seriously, good luck with the Fortune Builder auction. I'm still on the fence (due to the differences) if I want to join the bidding as it was officially finished and released commercially. I tend not to get overly excited about protos of finished/released games.