IGNORED

Playing a 5200 with a NES controller wirelessly.

I made a video showing it is possible and how I did so. Using my masterplay clone from low budget. And some adapters from camerica. Using a standard nes controller to play Pacman and Jungle Hunt. And wireless is the best part because 5200 never had any wireless controllers to my knowledge. So not bound by the cords or placement of tv.

Some random thoughts:

In your video, it didn't look like the directionals on Pac Man were very accurate as you were getting caught by ghosts where you could have made a quick turn if the controllers cooperated.

Would this setup work with a NES satellite wireless adapter instead of the Camerica one you used?

This setup is pretty much limited to games that don't need keypad input since the 5200 controller with keypad would need to be hooked by cord to the Masterplay device, down on the floor.

Overall, nice though. I may try something similar soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Tripod-camera-Holder-Cellphone/product-reviews/B0042J6VUS/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Lot of thing like that exists but are week or too flimsy some reviews say. Even say one without the tripod but too flimsy and spring broke. So no good.

But without device it is one hand for cellphone and one for controller. Plus I suck at packman. So if I had a tripod adapter it would work. But it was shaky because I didn't and don't have 2 free hands to play.

Plus the adapter has v - x adjustments just like the atari 5200 wico. So that was half of it. The adapter is very sturdy. The glue where the 15 pin connector is snapped off by accident when I was putting it away but the wires inside are soldered so well together it still works. I'll just reglue it but it still works.

As for the satellite no. The freedoom stick I got off ebay for 6 dollars with box had 2600 adapters. And the camerica freedom connection came with nes adapter in the box. But since both were made by camerica it luckily matched. So the satellite probably won't work.

Nes does not work on 5200. But the 2600 adapters and a masterplay or clone will. Satellite straight with out any mods probably not.

Here is what you need.

ebay item numbers.

I see some freedom sticks on ebay, and they have a black cable and a light gray cable coming out of the infrared receiver. Is one cable configured for NES and the other for 2600?

I already have a masterplay clone, so this is the main thing I would need to make this work.

The 2600 adapters are rare and hard to find I guess. The black and grey thing is NES not 2600. I have that also. Grey is player 1 and black is player 2. The 2600 adapter is seperate. You need the freedom stick cuz the adapter has detachable connection. One cable for NES and one for 2600. The other gadget has builtin wires so you can't switch between 2600 and NES. BUt get a freedoom connection while its cheap cuz soon it will be hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Freedom Stick NIB with all the connectors today from a guy online, for about 1/5th of epay prices. Yes! Bought the Freedom Connection NIB last week, and this should arrive within the week and I will be wirelessly gaming on my 5200. Nice.

I got my Freedom Stick CIB in the mail yesterday. Only $10 via Craigslist, versus close to $50 on ebay. Bad thing is the previous owner left batteries in the stick for a long time and they corroded. I cleaned it all out with vinegar and some sandpaper on the battery contacts. I tried it out on my NES this morning and it works great. The only thing I noticed is that I tried an experiment where I paired the Freedom Stick's NES wireless receiver with the wireless sending unit from my new Freedom Connection, and it did not register any button pushes on my NES at all. I will try my 5200 with the masterplay setup later.

OK, I tried 5200 wireless for the first time and the results are definitely mixed. For starters, I put in Galaxian with the stock NES controller. Couldn't even get the game to start.

Then, I tried Pac Man with the stock NES, stock 5200 controller plugged into the other side of the Wico y cable for use of the start button. Sure enough, the game started fine with the 5200 controller's start button, but the responsiveness of Pac Man to the directional input of the NES controller was delayed, causing me to get eaten by ghosts often. Last, I tried Pac man with the wireless Freedom Stick. Same results, delayed and nonexistent directional input caused Pac Man to get eaten often.

I don't think this is really a setup that is going to be useful, unless it works better with other games.