IGNORED

Is there a Skunkboard project list?

98PaceCar

I picked up a Skunkboard at MGC this year and am not entirely sure what to do with it. I understand that it doesn't act as a replacement for retail carts, but I've seen reference to betas and homebrews that have been released to run on it. Is there a central location for these or even just sites I can check for downloads?

Admittedly, I was hoping that it would act as a way to let me play some of my rarer, sealed games, but that was an incorrect assumption on my part so I'd just like to have something to do with it.

There's a good number of homebrews you can try out on it. Try checking around here in the Jag forum, you should find no shortage of stuff to try out.

Regarding commercial ROMs, it's against the rules to discuss those here. However....Google it.

• Like 3

As I have a Jag CD I asked the same question on the french Yaronet forum and the answer is: the Skunk allows mainly to play the same homebrews we can burn on CD-R but not all of them.

On the other hand, the Skunk allows to play some homebrews which can not be burned on CD like Project One or Doom II.

Note that Doom II is not the real Doom II but Doom 1 with modified graphics to look like Doom II.

So far I did not found any list or comparison between Skunk, BJL and Jag CD to help making a choice.

There were no list either for Jag CD homebrews and this is why I decided to create a topic to list them.

It is here and despite it is not Skunk specific related, it should help you to find where to download about 50 homebrews and to try them on your Skunk: http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?s=146080.

It is all in french but it is fully illustrated so no need to learn to eat frogs :D

Project One is from Reboot and I don't know where to get Doom II.

Maybe a good occasion for you to create a topic list for the Skunk to fill the gap?

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 1

Note that Doom II is not the real Doom II but Doom 1 with modified graphics to look like Doom II.

It's actually the same graphics as Doom, but with different level data (edited Doom II levels from the PC version). This was a project Neo was working on in order to learn more about what the Jaguar version of Doom could handle - he managed to get some pretty large levels in there, much bigger than the original Doom ones. There were a number of versions of this shown at different Atari/Jaguar meetings over the last couple of years, I think the latest one I saw had maybe 15 levels. I think he gave copies to people who wanted to have a go themselves if they could prove they owned the original games. There's a Youtube channel with videos if not & I'm sure there are versions out there that google knows of if you search for "Atari Jaguar" + "Doom 2".

Maybe a good occasion for you to create a topic list for the Skunk to fill the gap?

The pinned Jaguar Projects thread at the top of this section is a good place to start, although it could do with some updates and removal of all the chatter imo (just purely information, links, videos and screen shots to keep it clean). It'd also be nice to have every entry standardised with uniform sizing and format and it looks untidy. Something like that would be more useful to anyone new to the Jaguar and flash carts/emulators.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 5

You probably right Sh3rg as I assume mainly all homebrews can be played via the Skunk except the ones made for the Jag CD.

So basically the list of homebrews for Skunk should be very close tothe homebrews topic you mentionned.

I was thinking of a topic related to Skunkboard to provide hints, tutorials and specific infos for each game.

I found already infos and doc on several sites (from Tursi site of course but not only) and that would be cool to summarize all those info in a single topic dedicated to that card.

For exampl: it remains unclear to me if it is possible or not to use the Skunk with a Mac and if yes if there are limitations.

Does the transfer requires some kind of info like for example load and/or run adresses required with ULS for the Jag CD...

It is certainly noob questions but I think a topic dedicated to that card would be useful for people who don't have it yet to see clearly what they can do with it and how.

• Like 2

I believe Belboz cross-compiled JCP for the Mac... it should run anywhere libUSB works. I only support Windows myself because that's the only platform I chose to explicitly test. But JCP itself also compiles and runs fine under Linux (the difference between "support" and "works" is my response when you ask for official help. This same differentiation applies to the software it's capable of running. ;) )

I started a database at JSII of known demos and the exact JCP command needed to make it run years ago, but it didn't get a lot of support so it was never updated beyond the first. JCP will /try/ to analyze the file you provide and will make its best guess at the parameters, so for the vast majority of software out there all you need to know is whether it needs to be flashed (like a ROM file) or goes to RAM (like BJL), and provide '-f' for flash. For software that it can't guess or that it guesses at incorrectly, then you need to know the correct details for load address to start it.

Ultimately the author of a piece is the person best suited to say the correct command line. Sometimes you can work it out, or if instructions for other platforms are provided, they likely have the needed information.

'JCP -h' should give you the help commands, and every command is documented in the manual. That gives the 'what'. 'How' is a trickier one and probably needs some actual examples, I guess.