IGNORED

Sticky Gamecube 'Open' button

Metal Ghost

My apologies....after I posted this to the Modern Gaming section it occurred to me that it would probably make more sense to get posted to Hardware :) . Below is my original thread over there. Thanks in advance everyone for your help and insight!

Hey there gang, wanted to get some input on a problem I'm having. I just picked up a used Gamecube as a backup unit. Got it home to test it out....works fine (though I still need to get a disc in it....only powered it up and saw the splash screen). However, the door open button sticks very badly. I can get it to pop some of the way back up, enough at least to allow the disc door to shut again and remain shut, but only after playing with the button for a minute or so.

Since I like the unit itself, I'd rather not return it. I like the color, and it has the digital A/V out (I have the component cable).

Question: Once you have the case opened, is it a simple operation to get to the button to see what's the matter? Or is it so buried/hard to get to that it's not recommended that a novice do it?

If it is a simple operation, any recommendations on the best place to purchase the Gamecube nut driver/gamebit tool would be appreciated (don't want to do the pen trick).

It's simple enough to remove the button & clean it and the surrounding area. Get a gamebit anyplace, ebay, wherever. Only thing to be wary of is the position you've got the lid in when screwing it back together. I think it needs to be closed, but can't remember. If the lid won't move once you've closed the cube back up, then move it before screwing the thing back together.

• 7 months later...

Bit of an old 'bump' here, but wanted to give an update: got my gamebit and opened up the case to try and adjust the screws holding the Eject button in place, etc. to get this working better. Long story short, it works at least now, but not entirely to my satisfaction. The button is still kind of tight to push down and sometimes still wants to stay stuck as well (though not as bad as before). This is in comparison to my original Gamecube that I more routinely use.

Anyway, is there a recomendation on some kind of light lubricant (maybe a graphite type of substance or something) that I could dab on the inside of the mechanism? I was thinking some white silicon grease for a split second, and then thought better of that. Some kind of graphite came across my mind as well, but then I'd be worried about graphite dust inside my system.

A link to a preferred lubricant (if this is even a good idea) would be greatly appreciated.