IGNORED

I ordered a replacement light gun

sqoon

From Best Electronics because I couldn't stomach the price of XEGS guns. The guy from Best mentioned that they have had a small percentage of 7800 consoles that their guns do not work on. Has anyone seen this before? What if my gun arrives and doesn't work with my console? Is this an issue with different board revisions in the manufacture of the 7800?

Gun should arrive next week and then I will know more.

It is the Best Electronics light gun, different looking than the Atari XEGS gun.

Just for the record, the XEGS Light Gun was also marketed at Commodore dealerships at the same time as the release of the XEGS. The Atari name was removed and they came in plain cardboard boxes. Since I doubt Atari was behind it, I guess some enterprising person contacted the same Chinese manufacturer and had them imported to the States separately. I just can't remember if they were for the C64 or the Amiga...

I have never heard of that before. It won't work with a non CRT TV but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work with any 7800.

Mitch

Mitch, if you were responding to me, on the Wikipedia page for the XEGS shows a pic of the XG-1 gun without any Atari logos on it. That's how it looked when it was sold at some Commodore dealerships. I thought perhaps the company went to the Chinese contractor Atari used but perhaps they bought them directly from Atari through their OEM sales department...

Two theories here. Heck if I can explain why exactly. Certain 7800s (and from what I've seen it can be any age, 1984 or 1986, EXP or not) act as if they don't like generic cords. One reason I figure is that the cable itself has resistance. I've built 2 button converts hundreds of times now. They are all built the same way. From time to time someone will send it back saying it doesn't work, and it still does on my end. One fellow tried three different brand cords, Super Cable, Genesis, and Interact Performance. Nothing would work but his original proline Atari brand. I took the cord off that controller and put it on his NES pad and now it works fine. The other theory was that his solder joints were loose on the DB9 port. The stock cord held them in such a way that it worked. As I never had access to the system I don't know if either of those theories were correct.

I have never heard of that before. It won't work with a non CRT TV but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work with any 7800.

Mitch

Mitch, if you were responding to me, on the Wikipedia page for the XEGS shows a pic of the XG-1 gun without any Atari logos on it. That's how it looked when it was sold at some Commodore dealerships. I thought perhaps the company went to the Chinese contractor Atari used but perhaps they bought them directly from Atari through their OEM sales department...

Actually I was responding to the original posters quote from Best Electronics about the lightgun not working on some 7800s.

Sorry I was not more clear about that.

Mitch

Yeah.... Ax you were awesome to fix up my pad. I was the guy with the problem 7800. I actually have two with the same issue with off brand cords. I'm just that lucky. ;)

I'm thinking about getting a third just for kicks, but with my luck.... I'm really nervous about getting an off brand light gun.

On both of my systems... one had the exp port and one had the port but not the exp inside... the d pad worked fine, but after the first key press button 2 would be stuck on and could not be pressed again. In Xevious it was like having auto fire turned on, but you couldn't change difficulty cause the game would just start. Pole Position 2 would skip level select as well and the gas was always on. Choplifter was like Xevious. The light Ax put it would also stay on after the first button press. Once he switched me to a stock proline cord it worked fine. I think he added something else as well for the resistance issue?

Mitch

Not to nitpick (well, OK - exactly to nitpick) - the Atari Lightgun was made in Japan.

However the XEGS was made in Taiwan (which has higher quality standards than China - even back then - but especially now).

Mitch

Not to nitpick (well, OK - exactly to nitpick) - the Atari Lightgun was made in Japan.

However the XEGS was made in Taiwan (which has higher quality standards than China - even back then - but especially now).

Thanks for the clarification [i was just mentioning "China" as a possible place of origin of the contract manufacturer and the perpensity (sic) of such such companies to sell "propriety" designed products to multiple unauthorized sources]. Of course, Lynx cartridges were made in China around that time...