IGNORED

Port 1 is no longer working

chuckster24

I got my 7800 about 3 years ago and at that time everything worked fine but now controller port 1 seems to have some issues are the any schematics of what it is supposed to look like on the interior so i can check it and or any simple fixes to remedy this. I have tried 2600 games in it and also seems to be not working now. Would love to get my 7800 up and running again.

Much Thanks,

C.

Edited by chuckster24

Joystick directions go to the 6532 RIOT chip (Paddle buttons are same as stick left/right)

Paddle pots go to TIA, trying a game that lets you move something with paddle could verify the controller port is at least partially connected.

Joystick trigger go to TIA, trying a game that lets you start with button can verify that works.

A static discharge through the joystick might cause port bits to get "stuck" - it happened to me years ago on one of my Amigas, I zapped it through the metal shaft of the joystick and now it thinks it's always pushed forward.

You could check the RIOT chip itself by running the machine opened up and connecting a pin corresponding to a joystick direction direct to ground. Normally joystick direction/buttons are pulled to +5V, pushing the button connects them to ground.

Edited by Rybags

What kind of issues are you having? If you haven't tried a different controller then that's the first place to start.

If it has issues with multiple controllers then you may have a cracked solder joint on the controller port.

Mitch

• Like 1

Sounds like a cracked solder joint.

Mitch

OK Paddles worked fine.. when I tried another controller in 2600 mode (used Bowling 2600) He goes straight up 2nd player works fine so I was able to use player 2 in 2600 and 7800 worked fine. sorry sort of new to inner workings am I just looking for a loose wire?

C.

Sounds like a cracked solder joint.

Mitch

OK Paddles worked fine.. when I tried another controller in 2600 mode (used Bowling 2600) He goes straight up 2nd player works fine so I was able to use player 2 in 2600 and 7800 worked fine. sorry sort of new to inner workings am I just looking for a loose wire?

C.

No, the joystick port is soldered directly to the PCB, the pins go from the top, through the board and are soldered to the pads on the bottom. They may look fine, but it is probably a hair-line crack in one of the joints. Just need to re-solder the joints.

Hi guys, I don't mean to hijack in anyway here. But I grew up playing all these old retro consoles. Couldn't resist when I saw a Atari 7800 yesterday at the Flea Market. $30.

So I think i have the same issue as Chuckster. It starts up, I put in Baseball.. I have the original 7800 controller. When plugged into the first port it literally just does nothing. I've tried taking it out and

putting in again in case it wasn't seated properly.. I tried plugging in an original Sega Genesis controller, and that also does not work.either. However controller port 2 does work.

Interesting bit, when I plug into the 2nd controller port, it functions as if there are 2 players. Rather than defaulting to 1 Player with no controller plugged into the first port.

So I by no means have the means to do any mods or anything, however I do have a soldering gun, I fixed my port 1 on the Sega genesis by Soldering which I was pretty proud of lol.

Do you guys think I should also try re soldering in controller port on the Atari? I've never opened up an Atari 7800, is there anything i need to know first? or is it self explanatory.

ok thanks in advance.

Sometimes the pins in the joystick port break between the outside and the solder inside. My 2600 had this. I couldn't see the damaged pin until the whole connector was removed from the board. When I got my three nephews to play 4-player Medieval Mayhem one of the players wouldn't move!

I have refurbished the switches in a 7800, but this needed a replacement controller connector.