IGNORED

RedRaider's Atari 5200 - My First Atari Console

RedRaider

I picked this console up from fellow AtariAge member akator, for what I feel was a great price. I must say this particular Atari 5200 is in unbelievably good condition. The aluminum cosmetic panel is free of scratches, which truly amazes me. There are a few very minor scuffs on the lower panel, but they are not noticeable, unless closely inspected. As always, this console received a good RedRaider Detailing, though it hardly needed it.

The box is also a true gem IMHO. Very good condition, considering the age of this console.

Supplied with this Atari 5200 were two Gold-PCB Refurbished controllers. They even have the plastic covering still on the aluminum cosmetic plates. They both operate perfectly and are in pristine condition.

This is my first Atari console to own and sadly I'm not that impressed with it. To me something just doesn't feel right about it, which could be the controllers, the absolute worst I have ever used. I only have a few games for it so far, after I pick up a AtariMax cartridge, hopefully I can find some games that I'll enjoy playing. I do like the design and size of this console, it is sleek and massive.

I have also decided to have the S-Video Mod installed, I will update this thread when it is completed.

As always, enjoy...

7290035682_d1cf8f4ed8_b.jpg

7290030216_7114758965_b.jpg

7290025154_242e048bb4_b.jpg

7290020074_677e1471a2_b.jpg

7290016372_531235ec87_b.jpg

7290011308_67eee9a004_b.jpg

7290005446_4d0d18218a_b.jpg

7290000780_744695e50b_b.jpg

7290154696_3519c05b11_b.jpg

7290146858_289c926fe8_b.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent pictures, as always! Mine is a four-port, but in similar condition and also with a set of Best's gold controllers.

I think the 5200 was the most stylish of all of the Atari consoles. The 7800 is a nice-looking system, too, but it has a "cut-rate" feel to it, with its much smaller and lighter console and its black-and-white cartridges and manuals. With the 5200, you get more of a sense that Atari spared no expense: the workmanship that went into the console, the games, and even the manuals was superb.

As for the controllers ... tastes differ, of course, but I find that they're not as bad as their reputation would suggest. They just take some getting used to.

• Like 1

This is my first Atari console to own and sadly I'm not that impressed with it. To me something just doesn't feel right about it, which could be the controllers, the absolute worst I have ever used.

I also wasn't especially happy with the 5200 until getting some non-standard controllers, namely the Coin Controls Competition Pro, and later the Wico Command Control joystick. Full details on these can be found both in phonedork's recent video reveiw and in boxpressed's recent "Guide to Buying and Selling the Atari 5200" writeup. Hope you stick with the 5200 and find some games you really like!

• Like 1

This is my first Atari console to own and sadly I'm not that impressed with it. To me something just doesn't feel right about it, which could be the controllers, the absolute worst I have ever used.

It's the controllers. They suck. But the Atari 5200 is impressive in its size and design. Just look at the metal panel and the compartment for the controllers. And the games, like Pac-Man and Jungle Hunt, smoke the 2600 versions. Like sdamon suggests, get one of those third-party controllers and give it a chance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...