IGNORED

[5200] 30th Anniversary Request.... New Joysticks?

Draugr

Hi all.

This may have been asked before, but I was curious to know if there were plans to make new joysticks that have all the buttons and features of the originals, minus the crappy stick controll. I'd love to see the 30th anniversary release a new set of controllers with keypads and multi fire buttons that have a better controll stick. Some of the old 3rd party controllers from back in the day fetch a heavy price on eBay.

Thanks

John

• Like 1

An adaptor to use an Xbox 360 or similar modern controller would be nice. Hasn't it been done before on a limited basis?

The 5200 Redemption adaptors were a great idea (pretty much the same thing as a Masterplay, except you could use Genesis controllers AND use 2 buttons on it for lower/upper firebuttons). I never bought one because my Masterplay and stock sticks worked great; now, the things are no longer made and I wish I'd have purchased one or two. Maybe they broke easily, is that why discontinued?

Someone else posted on here a couple years ago that he was working on a PS2 adpater for 5200, but the topic went to the dust bin, and the project was never heard from again. :?

It was more like ten years ago. Yea, it's long gone.

Allan

It was more like ten years ago. Yea, it's long gone.

Hex65000 said he was working on one in http://www.atariage....adapter-thread/

That thread started in 2010, but he seems to have forgotten about the project.

Oh, sorry about that. I forgot about that one. I thought you were talking about Clay's Playstation controller adapter.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/30923-playstation-to-5200-controller-adapter-demo-units-for-cge/

Allan

somebody has to be able to figure out how to add a self-centering mechanism to the 5200 controller...

I mean... even designing a new, more stiff boot with tighter tolerance and no gap around the stick would help.

But even some ingenious little mechanism... or maybe a 7800 controller with added keypad and auxiliary buttons.

Edited by themilford

somebody has to be able to figure out how to add a self-centering mechanism to the 5200 controller...

I mean... even designing a new, more stiff boot with tighter tolerance and no gap around the stick would help.

But even some ingenious little mechanism... or maybe a 7800 controller with added keypad and auxiliary buttons.

ive been hoping for the same thing for many years!

I will see if one my manufacturers can do anything. I need to figure out who can work with rubber. I think a better boot might be a good place to start... but maybe little spring mechanism might be better...

Shit I just had an idea...

would a 5200 controller, same body as the original but with a digital joystick be cool? I feel like the button thing has been fixed already by Best... they only thing they should have done was to have the fire buttons have the rounded corners like the last rev of the factory ones.

Edited by themilford

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't there a link on the net a while ago showing the prototype self centering joystick that Best Electronics owns ? I inquired and was told that they have turned down $5k+ offers for it.

One would think B.E. would smelll the money to be made on mass producing that part to retrofit a CX52 ?

I would have to believe that there is a self centering actuator somewhere. I could be wrong , but wouldnt Atari have used something readily available rather than design a proprietary part ?

Edited by peedenmark7

low_budget created a masterplay clone that is awesome. I use a battlestation II with it. http://www.atariage....sterplay-clone/

Brian the wico keypad works great with the wico at least mine does. I just don't care for the wico stick.

Oh, I have no doubt the Wico keypad works great. The problem is getting one for less than my car payment. ;)

I have used the Wico stick for a while and like it. I wouldn't be able to use my 5200 without it.

Someone here at once said he could reconfigure the 2600 video touch pad to work as a keypad for the 5200. I foolishly was pinching pennies at the time and didn't take him up on his offer to get one.

Edited by Brian R.

low_budget created a masterplay clone that is awesome. I use a battlestation II with it. http://www.atariage....sterplay-clone/

Brian the wico keypad works great with the wico at least mine does. I just don't care for the wico stick.

Oh, I have no doubt the Wico keypad works great. The problem is getting one for less than my car payment. ;)

I have used the Wico stick for a while and like it. I wouldn't be able to use my 5200 without it.

Someone here at once said he could reconfigure the 2600 video touch pad to work as a keypad for the 5200. I foolishly was pinching pennies at the time and didn't take him up on his offer to get one.

Yes. I just completed this project last night and it works well. You cut one resistor. Other than that you build a box with 3 additional buttons and wire it with a 9 pin male for the keypad and a 15 pin female DB connector for the Y cable. It took me about 2 hours start to finish.

If you don't want to do that you could buy a key pad, project enclosure, DB 15 female and some wire to just build a replica of the Wico Keypad. Do a little Dremel magic then simply wire the 8 pin header to the DB connector and voila! It should cost less than 30 or 40 dollars.

keypad

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/96BB2-056-F/GH5010-ND/213504

Case (this is a lot larger than what you need - it's for a related project mentioned below). Iirc, the number pad is less than 3 inches on each side but check the data sheet and base your case size on what you want to cram in there.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1553DBK/HM916-ND/1090728

DB 15 F

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8R15-N001/3M10609-ND/2744544

Btw I figured out the matrix already for the number pad.

Assuming I have everything correct, DB15 F pins 7, 6, 5, and 8 go to header pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. DB 15F pins 3, 2, 1 and 4 go to Header pins 5, 6, 7, and 8 respectively. That will make the buttons in the far right column start, pause and reset with a blank one at the bottom.

I plan on doing a joypad controller like the BigO has in his gallery.

Such a project would be beyond me.

As I recall it, the person who had told me about the touch pad solution before did it with just the touch pad, no other box or buttons were needed. The touch pad would do it all.

?

With so many talented people here, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a small batch of "keypad boxes" to replace the 5200 controller, and fill the role of the Wico keypad. Or is the market for such a thing just too small to make it worthwhile? But if something like the 7800XM can be done, why not a simple box with buttons -- that are absolutely essential for the basic operation of the console?

Edited by Brian R.