IGNORED

2600 display problem

Cy83r

I recently bought two atari 2600, one is a ligt sixer and the other is a 2600 jr on a flea market.

When I powered the light sixer,it only show black screen with a bit of white dots, but if turn the power on and of, there's a glimps of game on the screen but it went black screen afterwards

The other one (the 2600 junior) only have a green screen with 3 vertical line.

What's wrong with these two atari? How can I fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are a few beginning techniques to try before going into more advanced troubleshooting:

The 2600 junior might be easiest to fix. Try cleaning the contacts on the cartridge slot with isoproyl alcohol. A thin cardboard piece works in a pinch. Cleaning the metal contacts on the game cartridge can also work if you know how to get at them. The quick and dirty method of repeatedly inserting and removing a cartridge sometimes will result in a normal system boot up as it clears the contacts of corrosion for a short time. Keep the console powered off and unplugged when doing any contact cleaning! Try the same techniques on your light sixer. There are other things to check if all else fails on either system, including the power regulator, but checking for dirty contacts is always a good starting point.

I've already tried cleaning the contact on both the console and the cartridge. But the problem persist...

My 4 switch woody 2600 behaved like your sixer when the power switch started going bad. You might try cleaning the contacts on that switch as the next step. Next on the list of things to check would be the power adaptor, the power jack where it plugs in, and finally the voltage regulator.

I will refer you to this thread by Trinity which helped me repair my light sixer:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/145631-help-me-fix-my-1st-2600/

• 2 weeks later...