IGNORED

I know you miss me...

MausGames

Well, maybe not, but I miss being here! I'm bummed that I never finished one single game for the VCS - Yeah, I'm that kind of programmer. Most of what I did here were more meant to be learning exercises; I learned after the first few attempts that promising that a game would be finished was a bad idea.

Looking back over the things that I posted over the years, I do think I had some nice ideas. I was just trying to squeeze way too much out of the available resources. I think if I could retool my thinking - stop thinking of the awesome classics as "construction paper pushed around on a black table", I could actually finish something worth playing.

I might give it a shot again, I'm back to having more free time than I know what to do with. It looks like the homebrew scene has cooled considerably in the meantime, which I find really sad. I hope that Batari BASIC is still being actively developed, I'd really like to see what could be accomplished with a completed DPC+ kernel.

It looks like the homebrew scene has cooled considerably in the meantime, which I find really sad.

Seems like there have been a boatload of homebrews since you have been absent. I'd list them, but I'm trying to turn this turd into a game, so I don't have the time. :D

One of us has to complete a side-scrolling platformer MausGames. I demonstrated fake smooth horizontal scrolling here:

http://www.atariage....ntucci-sisters/

Although THIS was a good side scroller:

http://www.atariage....talk-of-celery/

And, actually, yes! You are missed. BASIC hobbyist are a special bunch and it's been lonely at this end of the short bus. Glad to see you've got some freetime to produce spaghetti code :P

Edited by theloon

You made some great Demos, Maus. I'm sure you'll make a complete game eventually, what you've posted in the past was well done and very creative. I'm looking forward to the final release of the DPC+ Kernel too, I might then take on another "epic" project that takes me a few years to finish. :) I got a new job in early 2010 that leaves no time for projects and I never have time at home. I do miss having time to work on Atari projects. I wasted a lot of my previous employer's time working on Cave In while at work. Sadly, I can't do that any more.

Why would pinball need DPC+? Use pixelheight to thin out the bottom rows of the playfield. The flippers could be made out of those bottom playfield pixels. Next, the ball could be the ball (or maybe height adjust the ball every other frame to look rounder). The two sprites and missiles are now free for effects, bumpers and such.

Why would pinball need DPC+?

Because pinball with 10 multicolored single-height sprites on an asymmetric (non-mirrored) multicolored playfield with simultaneous single line background and foreground colors would be like making love to an exploding rainbow.

Well, maybe not, but I miss being here! I'm bummed that I never finished one single game for the VCS - Yeah, I'm that kind of programmer. Most of what I did here were more meant to be learning exercises; I learned after the first few attempts that promising that a game would be finished was a bad idea.

Looking back over the things that I posted over the years, I do think I had some nice ideas. I was just trying to squeeze way too much out of the available resources. I think if I could retool my thinking - stop thinking of the awesome classics as "construction paper pushed around on a black table", I could actually finish something worth playing.

I might give it a shot again, I'm back to having more free time than I know what to do with. It looks like the homebrew scene has cooled considerably in the meantime, which I find really sad. I hope that Batari BASIC is still being actively developed, I'd really like to see what could be accomplished with a completed DPC+ kernel.

Great to have you back! This board was a lot more fun when you, jrok, and Atarius Maximus were cranking out awesome demo's and games.

DPC+ is usable now. The only things not working are playfield pixel commands & one of the missiles is messed up and eventually loses its color.

One of us has to complete a side-scrolling platformer MausGames. I demonstrated fake smooth horizontal scrolling here:

http://www.atariage....ntucci-sisters/

Although THIS was a good side scroller:

http://www.atariage....talk-of-celery/

And, actually, yes! You are missed. BASIC hobbyist are a special bunch and it's been lonely at this end of the short bus. Glad to see you've got some freetime to produce spaghetti code :P

Spaghetti is right! I've kind of given up on scrolling for now, would be great to finish a good screen-at-a-time game first. I hope it gets a little less lonely in here with me around babbling and telling people how to do things the wrong way, or why their wrong way is inferior to mine.

You made some great Demos, Maus. I'm sure you'll make a complete game eventually, what you've posted in the past was well done and very creative. I'm looking forward to the final release of the DPC+ Kernel too, I might then take on another "epic" project that takes me a few years to finish. :) I got a new job in early 2010 that leaves no time for projects and I never have time at home. I do miss having time to work on Atari projects. I wasted a lot of my previous employer's time working on Cave In while at work. Sadly, I can't do that any more.

Will never stop being jealous of Cave In! You and me started using bB around the same time, and you programmed circles around with with extreme concentration and ability to stick with one good thing. I'll take a lesson!

Great to have you back! This board was a lot more fun when you, jrok, and Atarius Maximus were cranking out awesome demo's and games.

DPC+ is usable now. The only things not working are playfield pixel commands & one of the missiles is messed up and eventually loses its color.

Thanks, I never really left, just only checked in so often and never had anything much to say. There are still too many rough edges on dpc+ for me to be able to finish a project with it. I think i'll stick with the SK for now.