IGNORED

My first Atari Console...

Ifixyawata

I was at a yard sale a couple weeks ago and spotted the silver box and rainbow logo and knew it had to be the kind of thing I'm always hoping for at yard sales. It was an almost CIB Atari 5200 2-port (thank goodness for that at least because it was missing the RF switch). Appeared to be in pretty decent shape for being a year older than me. The box was pretty badly hammered, but it included the console, 2 remotes, AC adapter and 5 carts (Pac Man, Centipede, Dig Dug, Missile Command and Q-bert) all for $15. I had to sit on it for an entire 48 hours until I had time to get to RS to get an F-to-coax adapter. I rushed home with it, excited to maybe play some 80's video game goodness. I'd even accepted that maybe some refurbishing of the remotes might be necessary, but I could at least power it on. Well, powering it on was all I could do. I tried 3 different TV's, including an old CRT style, cleaned the cartridge contacts and slot, made sure all the IC's on the board appeared to be seated but all I've gotten from it is a solid-color screen. Nothing more.

I'm wondering now if it's worth it to delve into this any further. I have a novice knowledge of electronics and some older video game systems. I have an NES console that I've replaced the 72 pin connector in as well as thoroughly cleaned the inside of the console as well as the controllers and game carts. I'm guessing that if this 5200 is even repairable, it's quite a bit more in-depth than said NES repair. I've got a multi-tester and I'm pretty comfortable with soldering, at least assuming the board in this 5200 is a simple double sided piece, which I'm almost positive it is. Speaking of the board, another thing I noticed when I tore the 5200 console apart was some pretty bad corrosion on the bottom side of the board. I never really thought that solder corroded/rusted that way but it looks as if maybe it spent some time in a damp basement.

So...opinions. Is it worth it for me to go any further on this project? I'd like to be able to use this system and add it to my collection, but if it's going to end up being a very involved (read expensive and frustrating) process then maybe I should just keep my eyes peeled for a good, working 2600 console, or even just stick to Nintendo stuff?

These old boards can take a fair bit of punishment and still work.

I bought a 7800 which had rust all through the shielding and the board looked like it had a short trip through the sewer... and it still works.

If you've got an 8-bit computer, then it can be helpful in that you can test the CPU, Antic and Pokey if they're socketed.

There's plenty of knowledge around here, so long as the board's not full of broken traces it should be fixable.

At 15 bucks at the least you should recover the cost if you decide to strip and sell off as parts.

Forgive me, but I need to ask a basic question: You did have a game cartridge in the system when you powered it on, right?

So many people are used to turning on game systems now without a game in, and getting some welcome screen or something, they forget that older systems didn't show anything unless a game cart was plugged in. I've seen it happen - someone says a game system isn't working, turns out they just turned it on without a cartridge inserted.

If your system is dead, I know Best Electronics used to have new motherboards. Don't know if they still do, but if so, you could get one and drop it in there. Or maybe get the parts you need to fix what you have. You'd have to see what they have available now.