IGNORED

Noob Q&A: How do I connect my old system to a TV without a Coaxial Port?

Berzerker

>About to click Submit on 4chan's technology board

>Realizes how much better AtariAge would be

So /g/ I'm really in to old school TV (Mainly to play old games on Atari and Colecovision and such) and one from 1985 appeared next to my dumpsters in the back of my apartment building, trouble is inspecting the back of the TV revealed no see-able means of connecting my systems to the thing.

With any of these systems they usually have an RF port in the back (That single video port/cable) and most modern TVs have a coaxial port in the back, so you either get an RF cable to connect to the back of the system and a converter for RF-Coaxial, or a plug a converter from RF to Coaxial in the back of the system and get a Coaxial cable to connect to the TV. Really, really simple.

Only problem, this beauty from 1985 doesn't have that coaxial port in the back. It's still sitting in the wild right now, so I'll try to bring it up tomorrow, although I live with family so that's not quite the most convenient thing. But let's try to go in to what I see right now.

There's what looks like the top, flat part of screws on the left hand side with labels under them with stuff like UHF, VHF, that kind of thing. Then on the bottom portion there's these colored ports that go G, B, R which didn't look compatible with any normal looking plug and trying to poke them with a stick to see if there were flaps proved ineffective, solid as a rock.

It's weird because I have a TV from 1987 right behind me right now that I also got left for dead with that coaxial port on the back. I would be fine with that except the power cable is chewed off, and old TV repairmen don't seem that easy to come by. (Maybe you could reccomend a few in the Westchester area?) Or hell maybe I could cut off the cable from the 1985 one and solder it to the broken cable of the 1987 one, but a dumbass like myself doesn't like playing with fire least of all with parents to answer to.

I know I'm a new*** to this **** and there's probably a workaround but that's what I'm asking, how I do connect Atari to TV without Coaxial port. Maybe that would have sufficed.

The given picture is the same model I found.

1985_RETRO_13_RCA_XL_100_TV_WITH_CONVERTER_BOX_82572c8bb4c2f898b8e4_1.jpg

Epilogue: Really annoying because playing Atari on a TV from the 90's or god forbid my HDTV really isn't the same. Had a hard day today, excuse the non-editing, can't thank you guys enough for helping me out! Sorry if this might be more appropriate in the Atari 2600 board, but I thought about it and this seemed more right.

• Like 1

You connect to the VHF screws with the prongs on one of these...

post-23476-0-17013000-1340511663_thumb.jpg

Or if you're already using one of these...

post-23476-0-05247100-1340511733_thumb.jpg

...you'll need one of these matching transformers to attach to the VHF screws and provide the coax connection...

post-23476-0-55932800-1340511717_thumb.jpg

I added the second one to my Amazon cart, I can't thank you enough! Although I might have to make a new post when I have all this crap when I get confused on how to screw it in. :sleep:

Too bad I can't edit, but another quick question: I believe I need a screwdriver of some sort to connect the prongs to my TV, but I have no idea what. I might as well ask how this is all done while I'm at it, too.

Hope this gets noticed, I don't want to have to make a new thread. Thanks!

What shape are the screw heads labelled VHF? Usually they're just regular slotted screws and you can use a regular slotted screwdriver.

If it wasn't clear before, you just need to loosen the VHF screws a little bit, slide the prongs underneath, and then tighten the screws again to keep the prongs in place.

• Like 1

Wow, I found a little screwdriver that's flat and thin at the end and I was able to unscrew the VHF screws perfectly! Sorry, I'm usually pretty slow to catch on to this sort of thing, thanks a ton for your help! I can't wait for that converter to come and get to business!