IGNORED

Playing Gyruss again

Chris-in-NJ

Last night at around 1AM, turned on my 5200 and started playing Gyruss. Made it to 3 warps to Earth, almost the farthest I've ever did. At this point, the ships start behaving like Kamikazes, and I managed to lose 4 ships on the one screen. Now, I have Gyruss for the Game Boy Advanced that I play on my daughter's Nintendo DS Lite, and here are a few observations:

-- 5200 seems to be quite a bit easier in the early boards, but the graphics at times had me mistaking a shot from one of the enemy ships for a star.

-- Once past Saturn, the ships seem to follow more regular patterns, and I found myself able to shoot down entire squadrons at this point, something I've never been able to do in either the 5200 or the GBA versions.

-- The chance stages are a lot, lot easier on the 5200. I've never been able to get a perfect on the GBA, but get it 9 times out of 10 on the 5200, at least before Jupiter that is.

-- When they're yellow, the ships look rather like corn pops, in fact my youngest asked me if they were popcorn the other day!

My score last night made it over 249,000, my best ever. Must practice a bit more.

BTW I've been playing it with my 7800 Redemption, and have no problems whatsoever in controlling my ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never played this for the 5200, have thought about getting it and will eventually, but how does it play with the standard 5200 controller?

Not too bad. The stick actually works well for this particular game. But those side mounted fire buttons will probably cause hand fatigue after a long session of constant firing.

This is one of my favorites, particularly with the Competition Pro joystick. I remember scoring this at Kay Bee around 1985 or 86 as they were clearing out their inventory of all things Atari. I think it was $2.99. Remarkably close to the arcade version and probably the best of the Parker Bros games, IMO.