IGNORED

USPS, a new low

Andre81

I got 5 big boxes full of games and consoles today, which a buddy shipped to me. One of the boxes had a tape on it from USPS "received in damaged condition".

When I opened the box I found a formely brand new and now damaged Odyssey console, 6 squashed Astrocade games (these were in a seperate box and in protectors and are still squashed), 4 squeezed PC games and a damaged sealed Intellivision Pinball.

And if that isn't enough, that wasn't even the box my buddy shipped to me. He shipped another of the large boxes to me and it has been repacked into the smaller HP box. They probably didn't have a larger box, so they just kept the brand new Atari 2600 console which was also in the box.

Thanks USPS for damaging and stealing my stuff!

I hope these packages were insured! The USPS service really sucks lately. I've had several packages addressed to me over the past couple of weeks that have been delivered to the wrong address! Luckily one neighbor brought it over but one other package got returned to the sender.

That's one reason why people put extra super-duper padding around everything. The delivery guys can kick the boxes around and the contents will still stay in good shape.

Everything was in smaller boxes in the large box and then padding around everything. And all the games were in protectors in the boxes. Looks like it has been fallen of the truck on the highway.

The USPS is a wretched mob - yes I mean MOB!!! Government owned and ran so you can expect to be screwed coming and gowing, forwards and backwards. I guess you must make a home video of everything you ship and insure it just to make sure someone doesn't friggin STEAL something!!! Holy shit - I may believe it but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. Bastards ...

Sorry it happened to you.

I hope these packages were insured!

The USPS insurance is only for LOST packages, not damaged. In order to cover damage claims, they'd have to open the can of worms of what constitutes "proper packing" and there's no way in hell they're going to adjudicate all of those cases, as the numb-nuts there can barely tie their shoes.

The USPS insurance is only for LOST packages, not damaged. In order to cover damage claims, they'd have to open the can of worms of what constitutes "proper packing" and there's no way in hell they're going to adjudicate all of those cases, as the numb-nuts there can barely tie their shoes.

I beg to differ. USPS insurance is for LOST or DAMAGED items. Right from the USPS page: Insure your item for up to $5,000 against loss or damage. The price is based on the declared value. Don't believe me? Read it from their web site: https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm I also have filed claims for damaged items in the past.

You're correct that you can purchase insurance from the USPS for most international destinations that will cover both loss and damage, as long as you are honest about declaring values and are willing to spend the money. It also likely opens you up to tariffs and fees on the destination side. The bigger problem is that these packages were shipped internationally and handled by at least three carriers (USPS, DHL and German Postal) they were put into fairly large boxes with what appears to not be a ton of padding. Even the label looks pretty flimsy and handwritten. The fact that they have that tape on one of the boxes indicates that it was damaged most likely while still in the United States, but there's no telling where the theft and box change took place, nor which postal service did all the damage to the contents inside. Moving high value or rarity items by USPS internationally is insane as is trying to ship large or heavy boxes. The postal service treats it differently than a small parcel and often moves it with forklifts, pallets and other automated equipment that results in damage. If you're sending high value or high rarity stuff internationally, the only safe way to do it is FedEx and even then it needs to be extremely well padded and insured.

I beg to differ. USPS insurance is for LOST or DAMAGED items. Right from the USPS page: Insure your item for up to $5,000 against loss or damage. The price is based on the declared value. Don't believe me? Read it from their web site: https://www.usps.com...ra-services.htm I also have filed claims for damaged items in the past.

Edited by bojay1997

I beg to differ. USPS insurance is for LOST or DAMAGED items. Right from the USPS page: Insure your item for up to $5,000 against loss or damage. The price is based on the declared value. Don't believe me? Read it from their web site: https://www.usps.com...ra-services.htm I also have filed claims for damaged items in the past.

Well, I stand corrected, TrekMD. Thanks. I got my information verbally from the postal-jockey manning the window, some time ago. If I place a glass orb in a box with one layer of newspaper for packing and it is broken, I wonder if they would accept the claim? If I centered it with 1 ft of foam peanuts around it on all sides, I'm assuming they would. What I'd like to know is where is the line, and how is it established, then? But thanks again for the correction.

I take photos of everything that I ship (1) tested and working, and (2) properly packed in the box. The one time I've had to make a postal insurance claim (this year), I included the photos. I received a check in the mail 5 days later.

Taking those photos has also proven useful against eBay scammers who claim things weren't packed correctly. Dozens of times this has happened. It's amazing how every one of them has magically and quietly disappeared once I provided the photos of the packing.

One thing to keep in mind: the USPS doesn't refund the cost of shipping, only the declared and verifiable sale price of the item before shipping...

• Like 2

I got 5 big boxes full of games and consoles today, which a buddy shipped to me. One of the boxes had a tape on it from USPS "received in damaged condition".

When I opened the box I found a formely brand new and now damaged Odyssey console, 6 squashed Astrocade games (these were in a seperate box and in protectors and are still squashed), 4 squeezed PC games and a damaged sealed Intellivision Pinball.

And if that isn't enough, that wasn't even the box my buddy shipped to me. He shipped another of the large boxes to me and it has been repacked into the smaller HP box. They probably didn't have a larger box, so they just kept the brand new Atari 2600 console which was also in the box.

Thanks USPS for damaging and stealing my stuff!

That is too bad your items were damaged. Please post pictures of the items and packing before the shipping. I have received a package that was in a postal vehicle that was hit by another truck, but my items were packed well by the sender and only the outside box was torn. It was tapped up and double boxed by the USPS. I get more than two packages a week through the USPS and the only ones that I have ever received where my items were damaged was because of poor packing.

I hope these packages were insured! The USPS service really sucks lately. I've had several packages addressed to me over the past couple of weeks that have been delivered to the wrong address! Luckily one neighbor brought it over but one other package got returned to the sender.

You need to go and speak to your local Post Master and file a complaint. The carrier can lose their job if they get enough complaints. I had problems with receiving sa neighbors mail for awhile and it turned out my regular carrier was on vacation. The substitute was screwing up, no more problems after the regular guy came back. I told the Post Master it still is no excuse for delivering the mail to the wrong address when it is clearly printed on the item.

If you look at how much mail is prossessed throughout the world through so many people, vehicles and machines, it is pretty amaizing most things arrive where they are supposed to and in the same shape they were sent in. Pack well and buy insurance.

Edited by Defender II