IGNORED

Where can I find contact cleaner?

BillyHW

Any stores in Canada carry it? How much will it run me?

Canadian Tire and Home Hardware both carry it. Can't remember how much I last paid. Wasn't expensive though.

Do you know what section at Canadian Tire I should go look in? Also, what brand name should I look for? I've never seen this stuff before so I don't know where to look or what to look for.

Canadian Tire and Home Hardware both carry it. Can't remember how much I last paid. Wasn't expensive though.

Do you know what section at Canadian Tire I should go look in? Also, what brand name should I look for? I've never seen this stuff before so I don't know where to look or what to look for.

Just go in and ask for it. I'm sure someone can point you to the right direction.

Doing a quick search on the Home Hardware site comes up with this:

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Hardware/Automotive/Fuses-Wiring/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous/150g-Electronical-Contact-Cleaner/_/N-ntjbtZ2pq2/R-I8618888

Just go in and ask for it. I'm sure someone can point you to the right direction.

Doing a quick search on the Home Hardware site comes up with this:

http://www.homehardw...2pq2/R-I8618888

But I'm a socially awkward classic video game nerd, and the girl who works there is cute! That's a disaster waiting to happen. :)

Thanks for the link. At least I know what to look for now.

• Like 2

Canadian Tire and Home Hardware fail. Neither of them had it in store. The Home Hardware guy said if I brought the print-out from the website link (posted above) he'd order it in for me, so I had to go back. Unbelievably they didn't have a computer with internet access in-store, not even for their own site. Hopefully they'll have it in next week. I have to go back anyway for some sand paper.

Anyone know what grade sand paper to use for electronic contacts like the NES cartridge slot etc.?

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know what grade sand paper to use for electronic contacts like the NES cartridge slot etc.?

Sanding grade = zero. If you're working on old equipment, it's better to find something gentler than sandpaper, which will permanently scratch the contacts, creating a larger surface area for continued oxidizing.

Some of the old computer mags used to recommend a pencil eraser to clean cartridge contacts. Even toothpaste on some paper towel or a q-tip would be safer than sandpaper.

Auto parts stores will have something like AutoSol (Canadian stores Partsource and Lee Valley Tools both stock it), which is a non-abrasive metal cleaner and polish. Good for your bike chrome, too. :)

Sanding grade = zero. If you're working on old equipment, it's better to find something gentler than sandpaper, which will permanently scratch the contacts, creating a larger surface area for continued oxidizing.

Some of the old computer mags used to recommend a pencil eraser to clean cartridge contacts. Even toothpaste on some paper towel or a q-tip would be safer than sandpaper.

Auto parts stores will have something like AutoSol (Canadian stores Partsource and Lee Valley Tools both stock it), which is a non-abrasive metal cleaner and polish. Good for your bike chrome, too. :)

For the alternative, I recommend Magic Eraser. It works wonders, and is as gentle as it can be, while still getting the results.