IGNORED

Sega Nomad

Yurkie

I was wondering if you guys could explain to me the positives and negatives of the Sega Nomad.

From what little bit I have read, it appears to be a portable Genesis.

Does it play all the Genesis games?

Is buying one in working condition a long shot?

Does it play games as well as the Genesis?

Any other info you care to share would be appreciated.

You can generally get a Nomad in good condition for around $75... that's about what mine ran. I haven't run into any games that don't work - even VR works fine on it, but you need to get a mod made if you wish to play SMS games on it. The cart pin that puts the chipset into SMS mode isn't connected on the Nomad, but it's just a single wire. I had Tiido do a number of mods on my Nomad - the SMS mod, a 50/60 Hz region switch, the START+MODE = RESET mod, and replacing the backlight with LEDs for better battery life. The only thing I haven't had done is replacing the LCD. :-D

A Nomad with the SMS mod and a flash cart (that supports SMS games like the NeoMyth or Everdrive) is MUCH better than a GameGear. 8)

• Like 1

I love my NOMAD...I take it when I go on vacation so I can get my video game fix. Haven't played it for awhile and without digging it out of the closet, I'me fairly sure in addtion to the little D-Pad directional control, it also has a place you can plug in a regular Genesis controller.

Modding the screen really helps with battery life and is a huge visual improvement. I run high quality AA NMIH cells (individually peak charged) and my battery life is not bad at all. A quality charger is also a must (I use this one). I will note that the 6aa pack gets a bit heavy.

Nomad is my favorite way to experience genesis, and I keep a battery-powered nomad at my bedside with an everdrive in it. I haven't done the SMS mod yet, but it's coming really soon. I'd also really like to have true pal support modded in, but while I can find good instructions, I can't find the crystal. The screen I modded it with actually works better in PAL mode.

The nomad is one of only three handhelds that actually travels with me. Granted it's the least portable of the three, but sometimes it's worthwhile to bring 'big games' along rather than handheld games which often tend to feel watered down.

Oddly cracked.com calls it the 'most retarded' console of all time. (link)

I obviously disagree. I think that it's the best Sega hardware ever.

Edited by Reaperman

Oddly cracked.com calls it the 'most retarded' console of all time. (link)

I obviously disagree. I think that it's the best Sega hardware ever.

I wouldn't worry too much about that list on cracked.com, they also trashed the Vectrex. Notice the Sonic screenshot in the Nomad section is actually a Game Gear Sonic screenshot...

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Nomad, but modern options for the same kind of device might be better over all. The Nomad is nice because it is original hardware, but if the function is all you are really interested in there are newer "consoles" that Sega made official that play the original carts.

• 2 weeks later...