IGNORED

Want to get component out of gamecube, cheaper alternative?

Uzumaki

The component cable was only available through Nintendo and not through retail channel so it didn't sell many cables. And it was discontinued some years ago when component were becoming standard on TVs so lousy timing.

My Wii does not have GC support (no controller or memory port, no game support) and so I thought I'd dust off my ancient Gamecube that has digital AV port. I wanted to see if I could rip out the propriety port and install plain RCA ports so I could use regular component cables, not the $100+ cable off eBay. One problem? The video hardware is INSIDE THE PLUG!! Not inside GC so there won't be a straight RCA port hack.

Has anyone found a substitution for getting component out of GC that won't cost $100? Failing that I may have to trade in my Wii for an older model with GC support. For that matter, will the progressive capable game work through Wii's component cable?

For that matter, will the progressive capable game work through Wii's component cable?

Yes; most of them will ask you if you want to enable progressive scan mode when you start them up.

Though I haven't seen any yet that support widescreen (Metroid Primes might, Resident Evil 4 probably does), so you'll have to adjust your TV accordingly.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I'm actually about to ask a question re: Gamecube modding and came across this. Anyway, I'd be interested in finding out Uzumaki how you ended up making out with this.

As far as getting a progressive scan output from your GC without the proprietary Ninty cable, my understanding is that there is no way to do this. I believe that not only is their the digital A/V port to contend with, but also the cable itself has some kind of chip or other hardware inside of it (at the base of the cable) that allows the whole thing to work. So without that cable, it ain't working.

I'd be interested in either finding out more about this though or if I'm wrong.

I was just thinking about this the other day...if I end up getting a Wii U, I'd like to move the old Wii into the bedroom (analogue TV) for Netflix, homebrew emus, etc., but then how would I play GameCube games on the big TV without having to resort to composite video?

I was just thinking about this the other day...if I end up getting a Wii U, I'd like to move the old Wii into the bedroom (analogue TV) for Netflix, homebrew emus, etc., but then how would I play GameCube games on the big TV without having to resort to composite video?

Wait, I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you asking how you'd play GameCube games on your big TV on I'm presuming the Wii U?

I believe that not only is their the digital A/V port to contend with, but also the cable itself has some kind of chip or other hardware inside of it (at the base of the cable) that allows the whole thing to work. So without that cable, it ain't working.

The chip inside the component cable converts the digital signals from the GC into analog video signals, so without that you have no way at all to get component video out of the system. Hopefully someone out there will reverse engineer that chip one of these days as I think there's a sizable demand for component cables.

What I'm especially curious about though is getting RGB out of the NTSC GameCube, I haven't seen anyone talk about that.

It's ridiculous, that you could buy 5-10 Gamecubes for what that blasted cable sells for. I know they didn't make that many of them, and the high price can only be due to 2 things: (1) Low supply and high demand, or (2) Collectible nature of the cable. When I think about these reasons:

Reason (1): Are there really that many people, still playing their Gamecubes, anymore? Think about this. Although the current (new) Wii doesn't play the GC games, there's been six years of Wiis that do. The fact that you can get a nice Gamecube for $15 would seem to indicate not many people are playing Gamecubes, anymore. Now, out of the SET of people who are still playing their Gamecubes, there is a smaller SUBSET of those who wish to use the component cable. When you consider those facts, it is hard to imagine there being much demand for this cable, even if the supply was (is) limited. Yet prices remain ridiculous.

Reason (2): Considering reason one, this must be the real reason, by default. But collecting a blasted cable? What, you gonna bring your friends over and show them your cable collection???!!!?!?

Reason (3) : [insert reason I overlooked here, please]

Why is the port on the back of the Gamecube digital, anyway? Other than HDMI (which that port clearly is not), what were they thinking, when they created that port? What kind of monitor would have digital connections? You know they weren't thinking of old TTL monitors! What sense does it make to put a digital out (that's good for nothing, evidently) on the back of the Gamecube, to then make an expensive/complicated cable convert it back to analog?

When you consider that you don't even get any HD out of this cable - only a marginal improvement over S-video - I decided I'd use the $100+ for anything else. Mostly what I use the GC for is to play Advance Wars on the big screen, and that looks pretty good over S-video on a quality CRT.

Edited by wood_jl

My opinion: while in relation to the original sold through numbers of Gamecubes there may not be that many people continuing to play their Gamecubes, there are probably still a healthy amount of folks that still game on and collect for their Gamecubes (similar to <fill in the console name here>). Those that are still playing on the Gamecube are probably much, much more apt to be gaming 'aficionados', if you will, that love their Gamecubes and want to get the absolute most out of it that they can. I at least fall into this category. Coupled with the fact that I can't connect my GBA Player to a Wii and also that I'm a bit of a purist (as I believe many people are who are big video game players that still like to game on previous generation consoles) and I can see where a larger % of the current GCN playing population would want these component cables than the orginal GCN playing population. And the fact is that I don't think the demand for these cables was ever properly satiated, even back in the day. To my knowledge they were only ever available in the US via direct order from Nintendo, and it's likely that many people didn't find out about them until after they were no longer available.

Now, you couple this with ebay gouging, which is the other half of the equation, and you get $100+ GCN component cables.

But yea, I can see why people would want these cables in order to get the absolute best out of their Gamecube, even if the visual fidelity was only 'marginal' (which I'm not sure I agree with if you're displaying on a large LCD or something). I mean, why else would people (including myself) get excited over expansion modules such as the XM and SGM that try to wring out extra playing power out of 30 year old consoles??

I know they didn't make that many of them, and the high price can only be due to 2 things:...

They didn't make that many, and I believe they were mail-order only. So only hardcore gamecubists and collectors bought them, in limited numbers. Same people own/sell them now. That's why you don't see them 5 for ten bucks online now.

The chip inside the component cable converts the digital signals from the GC into analog video signals, so without that you have no way at all to get component video out of the system. Hopefully someone out there will reverse engineer that chip one of these days as I think there's a sizable demand for component cables.

If the signal comes out digital, would it be possible to hack up a cable with an HDMI connection at the end? You know, for more modern televisions. Now keep in mind I have no idea how the HDMI signal actually works (other than it being digital), so I don't know if it is even a possibility or not.

Wait, I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you asking how you'd play GameCube games on your big TV on I'm presuming the Wii U?

Hypothetical scenario:

Step 1. Wii U is purchased, and hooked up to HDTV (via component or HDMI or whatever).

Step 2. Original Wii is hooked up to analogue TV via composite.

Step 3. With the Wii in place, it is no longer necessary to have the GameCube hooked up to the same TV.

Here is the dilemma:

1. Now I cannot play GameCube games on the HDTV, as the Wii U does not support them.

2. The GameCube does not have a component video cable, so I could not hook that up to the HDTV and enjoy the games in progressive scan.

3. The Wii does support GC games, and has a component video cable, but if it's hooked up to the HDTV, that means no Netflix or emulators on the analogue TV.

Understand?

Reason (3) : [insert reason I overlooked here, please]

It was only available for purchase from Nintendo's website.

So... best solution here is to forget about progressive scan, because it's not all that noticeable. Play your SD games on your SD set, and your HD games on your HD set.

I have a Wii hooked up to a 1080p set, and I've been considering moving it to the old SD CRT because those low-res games look so janky on a big sharp display.

Unfortunately, I think that if anybody knew how, they'd have done it already. Sorta like that S-Video mod for the Turbografx that turned up only this year.

I was thinking that too. Or if it is possible, perhaps simply no one has bothered considering the demand might be relatively low on it.

I just found these though for the Wii. It would probably make a decent alternative. I might try it out just to see how well it works: http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B005QB868Q

*edit: Actually, maybe I will skip on that Wii to HDMI adaptor. It seems the reviews are pretty mixed on it overall.

Edited by Austin

Come to think of it, a used Wii would probably be cheaper than a component cable for GC @_@

*edit: Actually, maybe I will skip on that Wii to HDMI adaptor. It seems the reviews are pretty mixed on it overall.

I can't imagine it would do much good...just soften the picture a little and add input lag.

Come to think of it, a used Wii would probably be cheaper than a component cable for GC @_@

I can't imagine it would do much good...just soften the picture a little and add input lag.

Actually, the reviews typically state that the image looks great. It's that the hardware itself seems to be wildly unreliable. There are more expensive conversion kits though for $50, they may be a little bit better.