IGNORED

Atari 8-bit A/V cable -> Genesis Model 1?

Andromeda Stardust

I noticed that the Atari 8-bit computers and Model 1 Genesis both used a 5-pin DIN connection for A/V output. Best Electronics is currently selling a 5-pin DIN cable for the Atari Computers, which has composite output and as a bonus, dual mono.

Composite%20Video%20cable%203.jpg

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power%20guide.htm

(scroll down a little from the top of the page)

The aftermarket Genesis model 1 cables available online are dirt cheap in terms of quality (I currently get better picture quality on my HDTV with the Nintendo/Genesis RF switch-box than I do with the cheap aftermarket Genesis model 1 A/V cable, grrr) and the one Best Electronics is selling for $14.95 seems to be of much higher quality, but it is meant for use with the Atari 8-bit computers. I already know that the Genesis controllers work on Atari 2600, so I am going out on a limb and asking if the Atari computer cable will work with the Genesis before I buy one. An earlier forum post showed that somebody was getting a black and white only picture whilst using the Genesis cable on the Atari computer system, so I'm going out on a limb here by asking if it would work the other way, using an Atari 8-bit composite out cable on a Sega Genesis.

Thanks, and my apologies if this has already been discussed before...

• Like 1

Hi

not completely sure, but the atari xl can use the same cable that is available in the uk for the commodore 64, both 5 and 8 pin versions.

Maybe the best bet is to buy the c64 scart and at least if it does not work, you will not be shelling out as much.The scart gives a very good picture on crt, and works well on lcds too.

Hope this helps in some way!

The aftermarket Genesis model 1 cables available online are dirt cheap in terms of quality (I currently get better picture quality on my HDTV with the Nintendo/Genesis RF switch-box than I do with the cheap aftermarket Genesis model 1 A/V cable, grrr)

You got that right!!! I bought one of these.......

post-16281-0-58190800-1342697194_thumb.jpg

(here's the current listing:)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1808771945871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180877194587&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

......and it's the biggest piece of shit AV cable I've ever seen!

so I am going out on a limb and asking if the Atari computer cable will work with the Genesis before I buy one. An earlier forum post showed that somebody was getting a black and white only picture whilst using the Genesis cable on the Atari computer system, so I'm going out on a limb here by asking if it would work the other way, using an Atari 8-bit composite out cable on a Sega Genesis.

I wondered the same thing, and tried 'em.....no dice. They're different!

post-16281-0-64228000-1342697688_thumb.jpg post-16281-0-00898400-1342697696_thumb.jpg

Genesis cable is "expecting" composite video on pin 1, but Atari's putting out luminance on that pin, hence grayscale!

I wondered where to find a nice OEM SMS cable....no dice. But I've ordered many cables from this fine U.K seller, and the price (and shipping to Yankees) ain't bad!

post-16281-0-86484200-1342697250_thumb.jpg

(here's the current listing:)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2509650289151?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250965028915&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

This place sells GREAT cables for lots of systems. Solved my problem!

Edited by wood_jl

It's weird that it's giving people gray scale if the A8 cable is compatible with C64s. I tried using my Genny a/v cable to connect my C64 to a TV and while the picture itself was fine, the colors were ALL kinds of wrong, not B&W, just psychedelic craziness.

And I also agree on the cheap A/V versus RF. the A/V cable I have gives just about the same picture quality as RF on my 32" CRT and when used on my 60" plasma, the RF is a WAAAY better way to go.

• Like 1

IMHO the Composite Video is always better than RF.

There is no cheap or expensive Cable since we are talking about plain Composite: there could be a degradation of the signal using a non-shielded Cable but it will be not enough to make the signal worst than RF.

Cheers,

Oge

Two people besides myself have stated that the A/V cable is crap. It's brandless, so there's likely only one Chinese supplier. An unknown data cable can check out fine with a DC multimeter, but be absolute garbage for broadband signals.

It also seems that many of these old 8-bit computers could be re-wired for a fine S-video display with a proper adapter.

But if my second cable I ordered for Genny is junk, then I may just get a DIN connector from Radio Shack and wire up my own adapter.

You can buy the 5 pin DIN connectors and solder your own Genesis I A/V cable fairly easily. I did just that. Take notice that model I Genesis console only outputs monaural sound out the DIN port. For stereo, you need to hook an adapter from the front headphone jack. I have a couple of those cables around (male headphone plug on one end and red and white RCA connectors on the other end). You can find them at thrifts from time to time if you look carefully.

You can buy the 5 pin DIN connectors and solder your own Genesis I A/V cable fairly easily. I did just that. Take notice that model I Genesis console only outputs monaural sound out the DIN port. For stereo, you need to hook an adapter from the front headphone jack. I have a couple of those cables around (male headphone plug on one end and red and white RCA connectors on the other end). You can find them at thrifts from time to time if you look carefully.

I tried that with my model 1 and it wont turn on, as soon as I unplug the video and leave the headphone adapter connected to the TV it will turn on, if I unplug the headphone adapter from the TV and leave the video connected it will turn on. I left the video plugged in and unplugged the left audio from the TV the power light came on but was dim, tried the same but with the right unplugged it would not turn on.

Somethings screwed up on my system. The only way I can play my system by using the AV out is if I use the mono out or use a pair of headphone on the headphone Jack.

Edited by madmax2069

There is +5VDC coming out from a Pin which is very close to GND.

You have to be careful, especially if you recicle existing Cables: if you don't carefully isolate that Pin, you end up frying something on either your Genesis or TV.

I tried that with my model 1 and it wont turn on, as soon as I unplug the video and leave the headphone adapter connected to the TV it will turn on, if I unplug the headphone adapter from the TV and leave the video connected it will turn on. I left the video plugged in and unplugged the left audio from the TV the power light came on but was dim, tried the same but with the right unplugged it would not turn on.

Somethings screwed up on my system. The only way I can play my system by using the AV out is if I use the mono out or use a pair of headphone on the headphone Jack.

I'd say that the fault is on the Cable. If not, you would have a permanent short on your Genesis which affected it regardless if a Cable was connected or not. ICs seems to be pretty sturdy, so there are good chances that your Genesis is still okay.

Cheers,

Oge

Edited by Oge

There is +5VDC coming out from a Pin which is very close to GND.

You have to be careful, especially if you recicle existing Cables: if you don't carefully isolate that Pin, you end up frying something on either your Genesis or TV.

I'd say that the fault is on the Cable. If not, you would have a permanent short on your Genesis which affected it regardless if a Cable was connected or not. ICs seems to be pretty sturdy, so there are good chances that your Genesis is still okay.

Cheers,

Oge

Indeed it was the AV cable that was at fault, its fixed now and happily running with stereo going into the TV.

Edited by madmax2069

Well, I went ahead and bought a 6 ft MIDI cable (cut at the end), 6 ft RCA cable (cut in the middle), and a 6 foot Stereo splitter at Radio Shack, all are shielded. They didn't have DIN plugs so I had to splice wires, which is easy to do. MIDI cable shielding shares the pin 3 ground with Genny, so I'm in luck. I used trial and error to identify the four colored wires. Black was composite video and Red was audio on my MIDI cable. White and Yellow were unused so I cut and sealed them with electric tape. Soldered the wires, wrapped them tightly in electric tape, and I have a pristine picture now and an extra long video cable. I painted a yellow ring on the video lead so I can tell them apart. For distortion-free stereo, I recommend setting the headphone volume at 5 or halfway.

It was actually much faster to touch the wires together than to go across the house and boot the computer and look up the schematics online. The ground wire was already known, and I only had four colored wires to test, one for video and one for audio. Also, I tend to get confused with port schematics that are completely symmetrical, because I always get confused between right and left (example, am I facing the plug or the port?) And yes, I used my multimeter to identify the uninsulated ground wire + shielding as pin 3, or Genesis ground. Ironically, the other Genny 1 cable arrived in the mail today, but mine is much higher quality.

Edited by stardust4ever

It was actually much faster to touch the wires together than to go across the house and boot the computer and look up the schematics online. The ground wire was already known, and I only had four colored wires to test, one for video and one for audio. Also, I tend to get confused with port schematics that are completely symmetrical, because I always get confused between right and left (example, am I facing the plug or the port?) And yes, I used my multimeter to identify the uninsulated ground wire + shielding as pin 3, or Genesis ground. Ironically, the other Genny 1 cable arrived in the mail today, but mine is much higher quality.

Got to love it when that happens, what are you going to do with the extra cable.

I dunno. I'll probably just keep it as it's not even worth the shipping charge to mail it. If people keep purchasing the item, it will continue to be available for future Genny I owners. A/V cables will become more critical in the future as analog tuners slowly get phased out of new HDTVs. Ataris and other 8-bit consoles will either have to be modded or use clunky busted VCRs to demodulate the signal. This new Genesis cable has slightly thicker wires than the last one, so it may be a little better, though I doubt it's shielded. Both were brandless and came shipped in a generic plastic bag. I haven't attempted to use it yet as I'm currently going through an Atari phase right now. The cable I spliced up is actually pretty long, longer than I really needed, because it's nearly 6 feet of shielded MIDI cable spliced into 3 feet x2 of shielded RCA. I'll also have to be careful not to stress the spliced area too much as solder tends to break more easily than copper. That's why it's better to splice cables in the middle rather than on the ends, if possible. The RCA ends now have little yellow and red rings around them just like the original NES A/V cables did. Since the nail polish doesn't bond well to the black rubber wiring, I first had to paint the rings on with liquid paper correction fluid (white-out) then paint over the white out with red and yellow nail polish that I had left over from another hobby project (I'm a dude, so I don't actually use it on my fingernails because that's just too "fruity" whenever a guy does that, and it's bad enough I get funny looks from the cashier whenever I go to the cosmetics department to buy a half dozen or so vials of the stuff, but nail polish makes a great cheap and durable hobby paint that adds bling to just about anything).

Edited by stardust4ever