IGNORED

Cloak & Dagger

doomwaves

When Rusty Dawe was consulted by the film makers on the film - much of the script was already written and several scenes shot, and tape was used in them, it was too late for them to reshoot the scenes with the proper use of cartridge...

I remember when I was a kid and first saw a 2600 cartridge and everything inside was behind that magically door that was closed when the cart wasn't plugged in and I always imagined it having a loop of cassette tape inside of it, I didn't know that there were computer chips inside of that little rectangular black box...

Any particular reason why the cartridges were referred to as tapes in the movie?

Yes...

That is the disk image I posted years ago when I found the actually game on a floppy disk practically folded in half in a box marked "Leonard Tramiel" that I had in storage that came out of Atari's dumpsters behind 1196 when it closed... another item I rescued from oblivion... enjoy!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/139203-time-to-release-cloak-dagger/#entry1691388

Curt

Sorry about that it is: atarimania400/800cloakanddagger.zip

Edited by Curt Vendel

I remember the 2XL was basically a 8 track tape player that looked like a robot. It played different games that were on tape. The 2600 came out a little later and we called the cartridges tapes too.

2-XL came out the year after the 2600. As far as tapes vs. cartridges, they were routinely advertised and referred to as tapes at the time as well:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/200550-cloak-dagger/page__st__25#entry2605022

• 2 weeks later...

from the auction description:

The Holy Grail of Atari games!!! Own a part of video game history! I've been searching for a copy/copies of Cloak & Dagger for most of my life. Only a few copies were ever known to exist. I've now come across two, and therefore I'm letting this one go. From everything I've read, only 10-15 copies were ever made. As you know, there was never an actual Cloak & Dagger game made for the Atari 5200 system, it was only available as an Arcade game. A few copies were made for the movie back in 1984. They took a regular Atari 5200 game and slapped the Cloak & Dagger label, that they created for the movie, onto the Atari 5200 game. This does not come with the box. It is in good overall condition for it's age.

So he printed out a label and stuck it on a Space Invaders cartridge. No proof that it was a movie prop. I think we should send a fraud report to ebay.

Sounds like Dave hasn't worked on it in a long time. But he did make changes to make it look more like the arcade and to make the code more efficient I believe. And there are files floating around for making a box just like the movie. Somebody should make a Tempest box like the box, now that it has just came out. That is awesome!!!!!

I emailed the guy and asked him if it was movie prop. He said he never said it was movie prop. I asked to see the inside chips to see if it is a prototype. He never responded.

Wow, that's quite a reach if you read his auction description. He's making it very much sound like it's one of the movie props they made. Otherwise why would he have set such a ridiculous BIN?

I just made an offer:

Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 9.14.01 PM.png

..Al

• Like 2

I emailed the guy and asked him if it was movie prop. He said he never said it was movie prop. I asked to see the inside chips to see if it is a prototype. He never responded.

It's not a movie prop... the label is very different. Compare the eBay one to this screenshot from the movie...

post-30924-0-31140900-1362545137_thumb.png

The auction is obviously a scam and should probably be reported.

Sounds like Dave hasn't worked on it in a long time. But he did make changes to make it look more like the arcade and to make the code more efficient I believe. And there are files floating around for making a box just like the movie. Somebody should make a Tempest box like the box, now that it has just came out. That is awesome!!!!!

Yes, he did work on the code a bit. He tweaked some of the graphics (like the box compressors) and added the robots although I believe they didn't move yet. Unfortunately he just didn't have the time to really put into it and stopped working on it. I know he said he was working on a slightly later version of the code than the prototype that is out there, but he never sent me anything other than pictures. I can contact him and see if he is willing to give up the code, but honestly I think it would be better to start from scratch.

It's not a movie prop... the label is very different. Compare the eBay one to this screenshot from the movie...

post-30924-0-31140900-1362545137_thumb.png

The auction is obviously a scam and should probably be reported.

You right. His doesn't have the blue lines around the letters. Its the label that was done here by Atariboy2600 in 2006.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/82788-cloak-dagger-dcomstock-on-retrogaming-radio/page__st__25

You right. His doesn't have the blue lines around the letters. Its the label that was done here by Atariboy2600 in 2006.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/82788-cloak-dagger-dcomstock-on-retrogaming-radio/page__st__25

Good find!

Here's the specific post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/82788-cloak-dagger-dcomstock-on-retrogaming-radio/page__st__25#entry1012178

You can link directly to a post by clicking on the post number in the upper right corner of a post (in this case, #30).

..AL

from the auction description:

The Holy Grail of Atari games!!! Own a part of video game history! I've been searching for a copy/copies of Cloak & Dagger for most of my life. Only a few copies were ever known to exist. I've now come across two, and therefore I'm letting this one go. From everything I've read, only 10-15 copies were ever made. As you know, there was never an actual Cloak & Dagger game made for the Atari 5200 system, it was only available as an Arcade game. A few copies were made for the movie back in 1984. They took a regular Atari 5200 game and slapped the Cloak & Dagger label, that they created for the movie, onto the Atari 5200 game. This does not come with the box. It is in good overall condition for it's age.

So he printed out a label and stuck it on a Space Invaders cartridge. No proof that it was a movie prop. I think we should send a fraud report to ebay.

It seem like every now and then a user puts this kind of stuff out on ebay...Really, who has that kind of money.

Somebody should make a Tempest box like the box, now that it has just came out. That is awesome!!!!!

Yeah, I'm surprised the real artwork isn't based on the mockup from the movie. I mean, they might get in trouble if they just took it from a screenshot and plastered it on the cartridge, but basing the artwork on the mockup probably would've been okay.

• 2 weeks later...