IGNORED

NES Barrel Connector

thegamezmaster

Thanks for the reply. I think one is 2.1mm and the other is 2.5. Does that make a difference? Not sure if it's the cord or plug. Someone posted it's usually the plug because the ground wires break so I am starting there as I have several cords that measure that as reading open. If it's somewhere in the cord I'm not sure what to do.

Edited by thegamezmaster

The 2.5mm ID one won't work properly.

If the cord has an open you can crack open the transformer housing and just replace the whole cord and plug with a known working set, doesn't even have to be from a wall-wart of same voltage/amperage, just has to be the right size barrel and of course long enough.

You still have to pay attention to which wire is soldered to which spot, so a continuity meter comes in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's a bit late, but do NOT use the NES adaptor on anything else! It's 9 volts *** AC ***, which will quite nicely fry anything that wants DC. (The only thing I like about the chaos that is barrel plug sizes is how it keeps you from doing this.)

FYI, the Atari 5200 uses the same size plug, but the polarity is opposite.