IGNORED

PC Engine / Turbografx 16 s-video mod

Drakon

The other circuit is different. My circuit disconnects composite video and rf but gives the cleanest s-video possible. The other s-video circuit the luma is getting mixed in with all the colour lines so the cap is supposed to "filter out" the colour information. The whole idea behind s-video is that luma (brightness / intensity) and chroma (colour) are separate which is why in my mod I separated the two. Once luma and chroma become separated you no longer need to "filter out" the chroma that's mixed with luma and vice versa.

Yup, I saw this on some PCE forum & was going to give this a shot over the weekend.

Actually, this is slightly different than the one I'd seen; they used a 1pf capacitor on the chroma line. Wish I knew enough about analog & A/V electronics to know why. :(

Other systems don't generate composite video by combining s-video signals in a circuit like this one. There's ways to wire it up to have both I'm sure but I never bothered since I hate composite video. If you wire it up for both most likely you'll lose a certain amount of image quality in s-video.