IGNORED

Composite to S-Video question

Uzumaki

My TV has one composite input and one S-Video input. Due to idiotic design, composite is disabled if I plug in S-Video cable. It did not matter if there's power or not so I am forced to choose one of them for older game consoles.

All of the older consoles do have composite but I like S-Video better. So on the composite video selector box, I'd like to slap composite to S-Video on out and use it to the available S-Video switch port but when I tried to search on Google, all of them are for S-video to composite and not the other way around. I don't think it's really simple as putting composite signal into both S-Video pins as some TV may throw a fit with mixed Y/C signals.

Is there a DIY version of making composite (source) to S-Video (TV plug) or do I need to get a converter box?

I don't think there's an easy shortcut to do this. If I were in your position, I'd start adding s-video support to my systems one by one (and I have been).

And where would I find an 8 bit NES with S-Video? :/ Finding RGB PPU is very hard and fairly expensive so that's not an option. :( I think it's the only old console I have that doesn't have S-video support at all. TG-16, Genesis (all expansions), and Atari 2600 can have S-Video mod. But not my NES *cry*

PS someone want to make NES clone that has S-Video? hint hint,,,

PSS to coin an old word from Sega: Atari Does what Nintendon't. :D 2600 natively outputs S-Video and was ahead of time.

Edited by Uzumaki

I'd get another TV with more inputs. I've been stocking up on near-free CRTs from every size from 13" to 32". There are so many and they're so cheap, that I can afford to be choosy and select ONLY those that have multiple inputs. While not a Sony fanboy, I like their old CRTs and some models (particularly the V-series) have lots of inputs that don't "interfere" with each other. Scored a mint 32" Trinitron WEGA for the price of FREE a week ago. Only trouble is, it's still in the back of my pickup because it hurts so much to move. Right now, price of CRTs is too low (in my opinion) to struggle with a TV that treats each input as mutually exclusive. Who'd want one of those, save for non-gamers? (I'm assuming, of course, you're talking about CRTs here)

• Like 1

You can find such converters, but if they are passive (i.e. a single cable with an RCA jack on one end and an S-video socket on the other end) then they are probably not what you want (see here for an example of a passive converter: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-CSVC-1-Composite-Converter-Integrator/dp/B00004Y2ZK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top). Passive converters just use basic passive components to combine chroma and luma, and although that works in the sense that you will get a color picture, your television will assume it is getting a full-range S-video signal and won't apply any comb filtering to help separate the colorburst frequency from the lumanence signal. The resulting crosshatch noise will make you wish you hadn't plugged it in at all; it usually looks like a really really bad VHS recording. What you want is an active converter with a comb filter built-in. Those are surprisingly hard to find, but they do exist. Here's an example (not endorsing this product, I've never used it, just pointing it out for reference): http://www.burstelectronics.com/c2yc.htm

Be prepared to pull out your wallet though; a comb filter isn't exactly a trivial circuit, so these types of converters are typically going to cost you several hundred dollars at least. Unless you are terribly fond of your TV set, you might just be better off buying a newer TV with more inputs. :P

Here's a used Kramer active converter for $105: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1109274790871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110927479087&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] Oddly enough, if you have a spare HDMI input on your TV, you can find composite/s-video to HDMI upscalers all over the place for around $50: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/463010722-Composite-AV-S-video-to-HDMI-Converter-Full-HD-1080P-wholesalers.html

(snipped)

(I'm assuming, of course, you're talking about CRTs here)

LCD panel. I got small place and room for only 1 regular TV. The second TV is a 9" battery powered LCD TV for emergency such as bad storms.

I do have 2 separate HDMI ports on my TV so I could use upscaler for composite only game systems like NES.

Edited by Uzumaki

The second TV is a 9" battery powered LCD TV for emergency such as bad storms.

I haven't seen one of these (portable/battery) TVs with ATSC tuner. Does yours? It seems I'd have to use an AC-powered converter box to use my old 12V TV; not an easy thing to do in a storm.