IGNORED

1050 floppy disk drive power supply question AC / DC?

Chandler

so how does a 9V AC PSU power a 12v device anyway?

rectifier to DC, doubler then regulator to 12vdc .

That one for $9 is ok, however most all have an extra power supply if you have someone near. also B&C and best.

Edited by bandit

@Chandler

That PS probably won't do as the current output is only 500ma. Original 1050 PS is rated at 31VA

VA (Volt Amperes) = Volts x Amperes so,

31 = 9 x Amperes and,

Amperes = 31 /9 = 3.44A

Perhaps the drive won't use all rated power but do not skimp on the adaptor's power output..

Here's one original PS for sale at eBay. It's a good deal at $10..

so how does a 9V AC PSU power a 12v device anyway?

rectifier to DC, doubler then regulator to 12vdc .

That one for $9 is ok, however most all have an extra power supply if you have someone near. also B&C and best.

Not to mention, fully rectified AC will give you about 1.4 times the input voltage, although 12.6v isn't quite enough to power a 12v regulator, so there probably is a doubler involved (but I would suspect an AC doubler before rectification rather than a DC doubler, or else they would have used a DC power brick).

EDIT: Well, I mean a doubling rectifier, really, as a conventional AC voltage doubler will still put out DC. Like this one:

http://www.coolcircuit.com/circuit/voltage/vd.GIF

I did something similar on a device I built recently, but I needed positive and negative voltage, so I referenced the point between the capacitors as ground.

Edited by jmetal88

You guys are all right..

The 1050 uses a very common PSU design (for its time).. 9vac > rectifier > 7805 regulator = 5v... 9vac> AC voltage doubler > rectifier > 7812 regulator = 12v..

You can use a DC brick with it, but it needs to be at least 15v, and about 2amp to be safe.. All of the caps inside are rated to at least 25v, so there is no problem there.. Might wanna keep an eye on the recifier diodes (I dont know how closely they are rated to capacity) as 2 of them will be operating at full duty cycle versus all 4 operating at half duty cycle when an AC brick is used...

• 11 years later...

For those still looking, I found this power adapter: https://www.acdcpowershack.com/products/ac-ac-power-supply-9v-ac-3330ma-2-1-x-5-5mm?variant=44704878982

The connector is too small for the socket so I soldered a compatible connector on it and I can report the drive is powered up and working. This one is rated at 3.33A vs. the original brick of 3.44A. I can continue testing to see what the drive actually pulls.

• Like 1