IGNORED

The five most impressive achievements on the Lynx

bergbros

I think the Lynx in some ways is still technologically superior than the GBA. These games. although some of them not the best in terms of gameplay, provided the most jaw dropping effects that still impress even after 10 years:

1. The graphics, scaling and smoothness in S.T.U.N Runner. After all of this time, I still cannot believe they pulled this off on a portable. To create a near spot on translation of this game on the Lynx is amazing. ANd to have it all run smoothly...

2. The stereo sound of Klax. I don't believe GBA can duplicate the sound effects of this game, with the music, the voice with headphones. It is a shame not enough games took advantage of the stereo capabilites of the Lynx 2.

3. The ability to play eight at the same time in Checkered Flag. GBA still cannot pull off more than four. Multiplayer at its best.

4. The scaling effects of Blue Lightning. Amazing to see the ground under you streak past so smoothly, and the rocket trails streaming into the distance.

5. The detail and transparency effect of the walls in Electrocop. This game showed off the graphical capability of the Lynx. It was too bad the gameplay itself was so disappointing.

There is more, but these games, showed what was uniquely superior about the Lynx. The limitations of the Lynx that detract from true greatness are as follows:

1. Lack of true save feature. Basically kills any rpg and adventure game. This feature makes the GBA truly shine with games like Zelda, Golden Sun and Metroid.

2. Battery Hog. Really limits the portability of the system. Have to use the cumbersome battery pack and six D sized batteries if you want to spend quality time w/o an adapter.

3. Inability to turn off the backlight and still play the game. Limits the portability of the game.

4. Lack of third party support. Not a technological deficiency but the real killer of the system. The GBA's huge library and backwards compatibility is the real reason for its dominance.

5. Lack of a second joypad/joystick. A pet peeve for me. It would have made playing Robotron and APB a much less frustrating experience.

1.  Lack of true save feature.  Basically kills any rpg and adventure game. This feature makes the GBA truly shine with games like Zelda, Golden Sun and Metroid.

Spoken from someone who has never played Eye of the Beholder

or T-Tris and would know that the save feature is in the cartridge,

not the main unit. The GBA library is still filled with games that

require you to write down passwords as you go.

2.  Battery Hog.  Really limits the portability of the system.  Have to use the cumbersome battery pack and six D sized batteries if you want to spend quality time w/o an adapter.

I don't usually spend "quality time" with a portable system. I use it

when I am somewhere that I can't take a console and monitor. I

play 5-30 minutes at a time while waiting in line someplace and the

Lynx works well for that.

3.  Inability to turn off the backlight and still play the game. Limits the portability of the game.

I put an afterburner on my GBA. I left the switch out of it as

there is no place that I go with it where I would want to turn it

off. I don't play GBA games on the beach on a bright sunny day.

4.  Lack of third party support. Not a technological deficiency but the real killer of the system.  The GBA's huge library and backwards compatibility is the real reason for its dominance.

That is an unfair comparison. To be fair, compare it to the huge

library of poor quality B&W GB games that were out at the time.

The GBA did not kill the Lynx, Atari killed it long before then.

5.  Lack of a second joypad/joystick.  A pet peeve for me.  It would have made playing Robotron and APB a much less frustrating experience.

The Lynx has the equivalent of 7 buttons + a joypad. Even more

functions were added in Battlezone 2000 by double-clicking them.

The GBA has 6 buttons + a joypad which cannot all be used by

and adult without discomfort. There is just no way I can press

the A, B buttons at the same time as the L,R ones. While the

controls are not optimal for all arcade games on the Lynx, they

are better placed than the GBA buttons - especially the new,

not-so improved GBA which looks to be a real pain in the wrists.

If you want two joypads, buy a Wonderswan. That's the only

portable I know of that comes with two built into the unit.

I don't usually spend "quality time" with a portable system. I use it when I am somewhere that I can't take a console and monitor. I  

play 5-30 minutes at a time while waiting in line someplace and the  

Lynx works well for that.  

Hey, I think I use my Lynx as a dedicated "console" unit at least twice as often as any other system BECAUSE of its portability! I just love plugging in that old AC unit and playing away in the kitchen...the bedroom...sneaking a few games in at work... ;)

Anyone who flies for a living will know the hours of downtime and flighttime just sitting around. I use the Lynx with the battery pack, but it is cumbersome and heavy. For all its faults, GBA is exceptional in its nergy efficiency- two AA batteries for 16 hours. You don't have to lug extra D sized batteries. As for the save feature, I do not believe the Lynx cards can support a save feature beyond the rudimentary. I'm not a technician so I am not a 100% on it. Needless to say, the password system is very inadequate.

Yes, a ton of GBA, GC, GB games are crap, but not all and there is good games of all genres that can be had from the Marios to the Zeldas to Donkey Kong to Metal Gear, etc. Yes, it was Atari's fault for the lack of third party support, but the effect is the same. 85 games as opposed to 100s for the GBA.

Still, I love the GBA for the games that made it to the portable and I am amazed what the programmers could do with it. It is a shame that the system wasn't allowed to develop because it is apparent that a lot of things would have been done.

Yes, a ton of GBA, GC, GB games are crap, but not all and there is good games of all genres that can be had from the Marios to the Zeldas to Donkey Kong to Metal Gear, etc. Yes, it was Atari's fault for the lack of third party support, but the effect is the same. 85 games as opposed to 100s for the GBA.  

I think that, whatever you think about the Lynx as a system, Atari's "failures" make it a nearly perfect "collector's" system. A very average collector can amass a fairly complete Lynx collection in a relatively short period of time and, aside from proto carts, nearly every cart can be bought. :)