IGNORED

Trying to find Genesis controler with USB adapter

SoulBlazer

So, I do most of my older game playing by emulation these days.

A couple of years ago I purchased from the very good Retrozone site a NES USB adapator and a SNES USB adapator so that I could use the original NES and SNES controllers that I had with emulation. I've been using a SNES pad to play Genesis games, but I decided the time came where I wanted to use a actuall controller.

I don't have a Genesis controller, though, and had no luck finding one on Amazon or EBay. Seems most of them are knockoffs, and the few original ones I found are either too beat up (I want one in pristine condition with great buttons!) or way too much money.

Going back to the Retrozone site, I see that they do sell a Genesis USB adaptor for $21:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=69

That still leaves the problem of finding a good controller, though.

I was hoping he might sell one of those upgraded controllers with the USB allready included (like he does for the NES and SNES) but there isn't one here.

Checked some other classic gaming stores like Stone Age Gamer and they don't seem to sell either controllers or USB adapaters.

I noticed also that RetroZone sells a USB kit also, but I have never done any soldering.

Can anyone help me get a great working 3 button controller, or a upgraded controller with USB included, or a place that has both the controller and the USB adapater? I was trying not to spend more then about $30-40 on all this (as that's what I paid for my NES stuff and then again for my SNES stuff).

That says they are for the Saturn, though, can they be used for the Genesis? I'm also concerned about comfort....I always found the Saturn controller a bit bulky compared to the sleek black style of the original 3 button Genny controller. (I really don't need a 6 button one as I don't plan to use it for any fighting games)

They're based on the Saturn model 2 controller design, which includes 6 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. These are the same size as the Genesis 6-button controller. They will work perfectly in any emulator. 6-button controllers aren't only for fighting games. There are a good number of Genesis games which take advantage of the extra buttons.

• Like 1

Okay, it sounds like these controllers can be used for other things also besides a Genny emulator? In any case, $15 for two of them is a great deal.

There's a note here saying the seller is away and won't process any orders until August 12, so I'll keep my eyes open for anything else in the meantime. But thanks for the link! :)

i think thegoldenax makes these, but i could be wrong.

Then maybe I've spent more money than necessary :(

Well but eventually I'll look for a second adaptor for two player games...

Edit:

Oh, now I realize you're probably talking about the genesis usb.

Perhaps thegoldenax likes the idea of making something like the BlissBox...

I have other generic models of this controller, which I love... but I wanted to get a couple of "official" Sega USB controllers.

My purchase was blocked with "Transaction blocked, sorry this item may no longer be available".

Edited by akator

I have other generic models of this controller, which I love... but I wanted to get a couple of "official" Sega USB controllers.

My purchase was blocked with "Transaction blocked, sorry this item may no longer be available".

I'm not sure why you can't place an order, but I do want to warn people about the generic models of this controller.

Some of the generic pads use extremely cheap hardware and break easy. One thing to check for is if the controller is stated to work on the PS3. Pads with cheaper hardware use a chipset which will not function at all on the PS3. PS3 compatibility doesn't guarantee quality, but it's a good indication that corners weren't cut.

As I said eariler, I'm seeing a note that the seller is away till the 12th, so that may be why you can't buy one.

I just got the same message. Bummer.

*edit: Actually, there are other sellers that have the exact same models for less ($7.50 shipped). Just snapped one up from a different seller as a result. Personally, I am avoiding the Retro-Bit ones (they have snazzier packaging, but the controllers on their clone systems have been ass). Will give some opinions on it when I try it out--the second revision Saturn pad is one of my favorite controllers out there, period.

Edited by Austin

I received my Saturn USB controller in the mail yesterday (it's the one that says "Play Sega")! For the price I paid--$7.50 after shipping--I am really impressed by this thing. For the most part, it feels just like a second revision Saturn pad, right down to the feel of the buttons. The d-pad is comfortable and is very responsive, unlike similarly priced controllers you would get with, say, a clone console. My only gripe is the feel of the shoulder buttons. They don't have that soft clicky feel and are very stiff now. Not a huge deal though, as I plan on using this for MAME where most of the games are three-button anyway (I can use the shoulder buttons for "insert credit" and "start"). All in all, if you don't have one of these controllers, I HIGHLY recommend buying one. The price is absurdly low, and it's one of the best you will ever use on a PC, no doubt. I've used far more expensive USB controllers that fail to be nearly as comfortable or accurate as this. :thumbsup:

Just a heads up that the Saturn-USB controller I bought--It's busted already. The down and right d-pad functions won't work properly. Pressing in either direction makes a character move diagonally down and right. What a shame--the controller feels so nice. It went bad in the middle of playing a game, heh. I've been playing a lot of shooters in MAME, so I've surely been putting it to the test. I still have the second one, but I'm not holding my breath on it lasting long either.. Just a fair warning to think twice before buying one of these.

Austin, did you get the same controllers that goldenegg linked to in the EBay auction?

Mine just came in the mail today. They look and feel nice, with a good button click. I'll try it out later.

Not from the same seller, but yes, the same controllers basically.

Well, hopefully I have better luck on mine then yours. :) They defentily were brand new, I can tell that.

Yeah, same with mine. They were so nice, I bought a second for myself, and one for my brother. Maybe I just got unlucky (defective products DO happen), but I will keep people posted as I pound away at my second one.