IGNORED

Warp+ OS Questions

Tempest

After being pointed to the Warp+ page, I've been reading up on this neat OS but I have a few questions for everyone who's used it:

1. How hard is it to install? I have basic soldering and electronics skills (or is that skillz? :P ).

2. The page lists that Warp+ is reall four OS's in one:

* APE Warp+ OS

* Your standard XL/XE OS

*A public domain Atari 800 Compatible OS

* Your Standard XL/XE OS w/ Reverse BASIC Feature

First of all, what the heck is a "public domain" Atari 800 compatible OS? Why not just use the real one? Second what is the "Reverse BASIC Feature"? Third, do these OS's work normally with ALL 8-bit programs (any compatibility problems?).

3. The OS's are toggled by switches. Are these big nasty switches or little ones (ie. is my Atari going to look like Frankenstein when it's done)?

4. Will it work with a 1200XL (I assume it does)?

5. Is it worth it? Sounds like it, but I want testimonials! :D

Tempest

Steve Tucker has a 1200XL for sale on his site all decked out with the Warp OS+ installed...

It should be a straight forward install, also Matt... there is a very simple install for you to add basic into the 1200XL as well as there is a socket for it, just have to bend up the +5v and GND lines and wire them nearby for power and then you can also add an additional wire to I think the CS line and wire it up so that you'll be able to enable/disable the BASIC just like on the 600/800XL's...

I did it in one of my 1200XL's ages ago, I'll have to pop the cover off and just the exact lines and connections, its a very easy mod and saves the trouble of having to leave a BASIC cart around.

Curt

After being pointed to the Warp+ page, I've been reading up on this neat OS but I have a few questions for everyone who's used it:

1. How hard is it to install?  I have basic soldering and electronics skills (or is that skillz?  :P ).

2. The page lists that Warp+ is reall four OS's in one:

* APE Warp+ OS  

* Your standard XL/XE OS  

*A public domain Atari 800 Compatible OS  

* Your Standard XL/XE OS w/ Reverse BASIC Feature  

First of all, what the heck is a "public domain" Atari 800 compatible OS?  Why not just use the real one?  Second what is the "Reverse BASIC Feature"?  Third, do these OS's work normally with ALL 8-bit programs (any compatibility problems?).

3. The OS's are toggled by switches.  Are these big nasty switches or little ones (ie. is my Atari going to look like Frankenstein when it's done)?

4. Will it work with a 1200XL (I assume it does)?

5. Is it worth it?  Sounds like it, but I want testimonials!  :D  

Tempest

I had Steve install it for me.

PD Atari 800 OS has worked with everything I needed - why PD I dont know.

Reverse Basic allows you to treat your XE like in an 800 such that Basic isnt installed by default. Therefore no more holding OPTION down :D. It also has the benefit of putting a Hot-Reset via SELECT+RESET.

Nice job by STeve - Now if he could only work with Mr Atari and get the MyIDE boot stuff in there we'd be set!

Hear ya go: http://www.atarimax.com/apeos/index.html

Steve Tucker has a 1200XL for sale on his site all decked out with the Warp OS+ installed...

Not anymore he doesn't! :D

Rare 1200XL in good condition

Enhancements Include

APE Warp+ 4-in-1 OS Upgrade Pre-Installed!

APE Warp+ OS

Atari 1200XL OS

Atari 130XE OS w/ Reverse Basic

Atari 800 Compatible OS

- SuperVideo 2.1 Upgrade (very sharp chroma/luma or composite video)

- Internal APE/SIO2PC Interface (DB25 Jack)

- 256k 130XE Compatible Ram Upgrade

Oh yeah! Hack on a PBI port and I'm all set!

Tempest

Rare 1200XL in good condition  

- SuperVideo 2.1 Upgrade (very sharp chroma/luma or composite video)  

http://www.retrobits.net/clearpic.html

I think Bob Woolley's new ClearPic upgrade may be better than the SuperVideo 2.1 upgrade. Has anyone done both to a 1200XL and checked the difference?

I've done the SV2.1 on the 1200XL and it was nice, but haven't done the ClearPic yet. I will do it eventually, but unfortunately I canabalized my SV2.1 1200XL for another project. So I can't compare the two...