IGNORED

Driving Paddle w/Atari logo instead of "driving"

Domino8282

I heard at one point that just as there was an original model of the ordinary paddle which had the Atari logo instead of the word "paddle," there was also an original model of the driving paddle which similarly had the Atari logo rather than the word "driving."

The closest I've seen to one is on eBay there was an auction for driving paddles "CIB" and the box had a picture of driving paddles as I described above. However, the actual paddles inside the box in this auction said "driving" rather than having the logo.

Does anyone know for sure whether these mythical driving paddles exist? Better yet, does anyone own one that can post a picture? I'm trying to collect an entire set of "first run" Atari hardware including the heavy sixer with original accessories and controllers.

Thanks!

This is the original box with original box for driving controllers. Notice this box is different (has peg hang area). I need to update my site with this, which I'll probably do tomorrow. The originals always have Canada on the back of the box.

Phil

http://www.atarimani...y-500_7981.html

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

From what I've read, this variant may have been a pack-in with the original copy of Indy 500 back in 1978... Can anyone confirm this?

The driving controllers that have the Atari logo came with the original release of Indy 500. I would consider them somewhat rare. The same exists for Sears versions as well.

(Image blatently stolen from antoher thread on AA)

post-11172-0-12782800-1344777985_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is the original box with original box for driving controllers. Notice this box is different (has peg hang area). I need to update my site with this, which I'll probably do tomorrow. The originals always have Canada on the back of the box.

Phil

http://www.atarimani...y-500_7981.html

Nice! So I assume there was a larger box which contained two smaller boxes, one of which was the game you have pictured, and the other of which was the driving controllers? Does anyone have a pic of the larger box containing everything or a pic of the box which contained the controllers?

Is there a place where I can find all games that use the driving paddles? It isn't only Indy 500, isn't it?

BTW, it would be nice if I could find all games sorted by its controllers (paddles, joysticks, keypads...)

Do you mean other than the list of games when you select a controller here at AA?

http://www.atariage.com/controller_list.html?SystemID=2600

Indy 500 was pretty much it back in the day but there are some new games that use it: http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=2600&ControllerID=3

• Like 1

My complete boxed copy of Indy 500 is the original 1977 "Indy 500 11" Gatefold release, but my controllers say "driving" on them. My cartridge end label doesnt have the orange border like the older runs, I wonder if those were the kits that included the "Logo" Driving Controller.

Love how the "Includes one set..." text on the front of the large outer box uses the Sears slanted S.

Was Indy 500 ever sold without the Driving Controller? That would seem kind of pointless. But I do see quite a few in just the game box for sale.

• 3 years later...

The driving controllers that have the Atari logo came with the original release of Indy 500. I would consider them somewhat rare. The same exists for Sears versions as well.

(Image blatently stolen from antoher thread on AA

Just picked up a pair of the Sears paddle and driving controllers to go with my Sears Tele-Games Heavy. Now I need an original gray power adapter.

Edited by sramirez2008

Just picked up a pair of the Sears paddle and driving controllers to go with my Sears Tele-Games Heavy. Now I need an original gray power adapter.

Don't forget you have a set of the Atari labeled paddles to!

I also have a set of Sears labled Driving Controllers and two sets of Sears paddles to go with my Tele-Games Heavy. I just need some Sears CX-10's and I've got the whole set!

Don't forget you have a set of the Atari labeled paddles to!

I also have a set of Sears labled Driving Controllers and two sets of Sears paddles to go with my Tele-Games Heavy. I just need some Sears CX-10's and I've got the whole set!

Oh yeah! Almost forgot.