IGNORED

Neo Geo X Gold System to release in December for $199

goldenegg

Looks like the pictures of the Neo-Geo handheld from a while back weren't fake after all.

http://www.retrogami...2/newneogeo.htm

The list of included games is better than I expected. The price is pretty high though, even though you get both a portable and TV console. Since they're calling it a 'gold' system, I'm guessing they will eventually offer the systems separately.

As much as I love the Neo-Geo and collect game systems in general, I'll probably pass on this one due to price alone.

EDIT:

Looks like the TV console is just a base to charge the handheld and offer TV output.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'll get this or not. I really like the looks, and the TV station idea is cool. That said it looks like all DLC and that is pretty terrible. I can see that releasing physical games for a system like this would be too costly maybe, but if I'm going to go all DLC on old games I'll go emulation on my Experia Play and be done with it. It looks great, I like to support new stuff like this, but at the same time I'm concerned...

• Like 1

Looks like the pictures of the Neo-Geo handheld from a while back weren't fake after all.

http://www.retrogami...2/newneogeo.htm

The list of included games is better than I expected. The price is pretty high though, even though you get both a portable and TV console. Since they're calling it a 'gold' system, I'm guessing they will eventually offer the systems separately.

As much as I love the Neo-Geo and collect game systems in general, I'll probably pass on this one due to price alone.

That looks fantastic! When this was first announced there was no mention of a base or a replica Neo Geo controller. For $199 that thing is a steal! And it looks like the base has a plug for a second joystick. Now, if those joysticks use the same connector as the original controller, that would even better.

You can buy a PSP and set it up with a neo geo emulator (or just play the ng compilation) for a lot less than $200.

No kidding.

• NIB PSP $120
  • NIB SNK Classics $20
  • NIB Metal Slug Anthology $19

Even if you buy all of that new, it's around $160. Used it could probably all be had for under $100.

Of course, the MSRP is $200... give it a few months after release, and it will probably be cheaper...

• Like 1

Seems pretty neat...whats the point of an expandable game card slot if it doesn't support current neo geo carts?

From my understanding, the expandable slot is on the handheld. The handheld is the actual system in play here. The base is a dock which charges the handheld, acts as an input for the controller and outputs to a TV.

For $199 that thing is a steal!

How is it a steal? It's not like the base plays actual AES carts and it's almost certainly using emulation. You can buy any number of handheld devices that do the same thing.

So its too much then? I thought the whole package made it worth the cost. I know when the handheld alone was first announced, people were tossing around all kinds of price points on this thing, some up there with the original Gold system prices. That, in my opinion, was not worth the price. But with the base that allows for charging and HDMI out plus a controller that might be "regulation" size, I don't really think $199 is all that bad.

And hey, this is a "Neo Geo", so of course its going to be expensive. ;)

• Like 1

My understanding what the expansion slot was on the handheld, and is more than likely a SD card slot. If this thing is made with a slot for a cart they will release like normal hand helds I get it. That would make it something closer to a new system and I could handle that, as it stands this looks like a handheld emulator branded as a Neo Geo. If that is the case a modded PSP does more for less. The docking station and controller are cool, but not too much else.

If the original controllers will work with it that would help push me to buy it. If they give these games the full HD treatment that would also help. Alteast then I could hook up it to my LED and play Metal Slug in HD without extra complication with my CMVS.

Like I said before, waiting for more information, but probably leaning to passing on this. We will see come December if this is even released on time, and in enough numbers to allow people to get it. It seems there are never enough of the new stuff come the holiday season.

Now that you mention it why hasn't someone made a flash cart for the AES?

The more I think about I bet it will use the old controllers, but there is simlpy no way it will take an AES cart.

People claim difficulty because of the many PCBs and mappers, but look at NES... that has flash carts. There are even 1XX-in-one for the MVS... they just think it's allot of work, or costly... so what. Neo Geo folks will pay it. Would you rather play your collection or real hardware without taking them out of the box, or emulation?

I did some more reading around and it turns out the expansion slot is an SD slot. The image that is out shows controller ports on the base but the way things are worded in some places leaves me to believe that the controller is cordless and is some how linked to the handheld itself, porbably bluetooth.

I'm starting to wonder if they are going to sell more games, or if they just expect that people will load an SD card with ROM images and go to town. The price on this could just be Neo Geo being pricey, or it could be them making all the money they mean to up front and not worrying about game sales.

I'd give them $40 for it. That's just because it's officially licensed.

On the up side, it's got a nice form factor, docking station(?), and the controller at least looks like it might be decent.

On the down side this is in no way a Neo Geo, and probably plays exactly as poorly as all of the $40-80 mp4 NES/GBC/PS1/NeoGeo players out there, which is why they pack it with games from the crappiest end of that system's library.

Rather than this, a $200 AES re-release with hdmi out would be a reflex purchase for a lot of gamers. Give it a killer-app pack-in (Metal Slug 3, for example) and sell reprints of other titles for $50 a pop.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

There is no question a re-release of AES stuff would sell like crazy, but the people that collect Neo Geo would lose their freaking minds. Can you imagine what the folks on the Neo Geo forums would think and say about that? I'm sure it would be much less than pretty.

If this was selling for $100 I would buy it for sure. If nothing else it does at least look cool. I have spent more on things I knew I would never actually play much. I might use this from time to time. If not for the docking station and controller this would be an automatic pass for me. The fact that they are including that has had me thinking about what this "system" could be all day.

• Like 1

There is no question a re-release of AES stuff would sell like crazy, but the people that collect Neo Geo would lose their freaking minds. Can you imagine what the folks on the Neo Geo forums would think and say about that? I'm sure it would be much less than pretty.

If this was selling for $100 I would buy it for sure. If nothing else it does at least look cool. I have spent more on things I knew I would never actually play much. I might use this from time to time. If not for the docking station and controller this would be an automatic pass for me. The fact that they are including that has had me thinking about what this "system" could be all day.

I will admit as much as my sons are incredibly enamored of Neo Geo, depending on how well they work (controllers and roms) this may be a good system for their room. They aren't touching the real carts in this decade. The arcades are in the basement and only allowed to be used when I'm down there with them. I put the NeoDS emulator on their DS systems but only around 1/3 of the games work really well.

I will admit as much as my sons are incredibly enamored of Neo Geo, depending on how well they work (controllers and roms) this may be a good system for their room. They aren't touching the real carts in this decade. The arcades are in the basement and only allowed to be used when I'm down there with them. I put the NeoDS emulator on their DS systems but only around 1/3 of the games work really well.

Thats actually a really good point, my kids always enjoy playing games on the Neo Geo, but I'm always in "what if" mode when I let them play it. And with the prices for the carts, console and controllers nowadays, its always a concern.

But that means the collector in my is going to have to buy two of these, one for my kids, and one for me. ;)

It never ends, does it?

• Like 1

Thats actually a really good point, my kids always enjoy playing games on the Neo Geo, but I'm always in "what if" mode when I let them play it. And with the prices for the carts, console and controllers nowadays, its always a concern.

But that means the collector in my is going to have to buy two of these, one for my kids, and one for me. ;)

It never ends, does it?

Nope... I have way to many repeats just to keep one nice.