IGNORED

The ROM Generator

AtariGeezer

Version #13 is now available for downloading at it's homepage:

http://www.fiftyonef...ator/Dwnld.html

Great stuff. This being the officially endorsed tool for the job (and the one which does the proper signature checks on the latest PBI ROMs), the download page is linked to via my Ultimate 1MB and Incognito PBI pages.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

So is this the same functionality as U1MB Rom Builder? And does it work in Win7?

So build a ROM and then flash it..So I need a flashing tool too I guess.

I need to read some more about this, it is confusing me...I don't have a LPT port, so will this work for flashing eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2804783350151?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280478335015&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

So is this the same functionality as U1MB Rom Builder? And does it work in Win7?

I need to read some more about this, it is confusing me...I don't have a LPT port, so will this work for flashing eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2804783350151?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280478335015&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The ROM Generator has same functionality as U1MB Rom Builder and More...

It can read/create/write ROMs for U1MB, Incognito and Sic! 31-In-1, plus has a built-in flasher for U1MB and Sic! 31-In-1.

An ATR image can be created which includes a flasher tool..

Since it is a Win32 App, it works in Windows 95 through Windows 8, plus it doesn't rely on additional libraries or a run-time interpreter.

This also runs fine under Wine or Parallels for Linux and OSX...

The JTAG programmer would be used to update the Xilinx chip.

An Eprom Burner with a PLCC adapter can be used to flash the 512k ROM images as welll...

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer

Take heart, It's not only you who is confused :). And part of the confusion comes from the fact that official U1MB documentation is far from complete. Had U1MB been a plug-and-play device which required zero end-user involvement in installation and setup, this wouldn't have been a problem, but this is not the case so one would have assumed more in depth documentation of the device would be included with the package. However the way things are right now (even after Lotharek's attempt to provide more info on the device on his website) there are many questions in people's minds and things are not crystal clear.

The device is field upgradable but the information on how-to is scattered all over Atariage threads and difficult to locate and assemble. There was never an official release of "flasher" specifically written for U1MB but we (some of us) found ways around it and used the flasher released for SpartaDOS X to flash U1MB. As far as flashing is concerned let's make one thing clear from the start, and this is how the device is organized:

U1MB uses several IC's on its PCB, one of which is a:

XILINX XC95144XL CPLD (Complex Programmable Logic Device, this is the only IC that is present on the battery side of U1MB). Think of this as the heart of the system, sort of like the 6502 CPU on your Atari. It's used to control the device and make it to function as a U1MB. Normally you (the user) don't have to reprogram this chip at all. The code in this chip acts as the "firmware" of the device and the only time it may need to be re-programmed is if Candle ever releases a new version. This chip can not be programmed in system (i.e. through the Atari) and one would need a "Programmer" device (like the one in your link) and you would need to build a JTAG cable which needs to be connected to the programmer and the JTAG header on U1MB.

The two large chips on the component side of the PCB (located on either side of the ULTIMATE1MB silkscreen, marked as R1LP0408CSP) are the SRAM memory chips.

They give U1MB its 1MB RAM capacity you can use for Ramdisk or as extended memory (328K, 512K or 1024K). Since this is only RAM no programming is necessary.

AMIC A29040BL flash memory chip is the chip we end users are more interested with (this is the square shaped, socketed chip on the component side of the PCB). This chip comes pre-loaded with code for SDX 4.45 ROM, 4 different OS ROMs, Missile Command game ROM, the U1MB BIOS ROM. It also has reserved ROM space for other future software the user may want to load to his U1MB (i..e. PBI - Parallel Bus Interface ROM that gives access to hard disk like devices - SIDE is one example)

This flash memory chip can be loaded in two different ways:

- Using a flasher software on your Atari, or

- Using a Universal Programmer device

Many people don't have "programmers" so the most cost effective way for them is to use a "flasher" software, but given the lack of an officially released flasher as I mentioned above, some people (one being myself) devised a way of flashing U1MB using the flasher released for SDX. We also coded a front-end utility to prepare a 512K ROM image which contains all these individual ROM images (SDX, OS etc) for the flasher to use. This front-end utility can also prepare a ready to run ATR image which includes the flasher and the 512K ROM file, so the user after customizing their U1MB ROM image can run the flasher on their Atari and update their U1MB.

Now the question is what are the differences between my Ultimate ROM Builder and ROM Generator?

Well aside from the look and the IDE used to code the utilities there is one major difference... my Ultimate Rom Builder is for U1MB ONLY, does not support Incognito or SIC. It will run on XP, Vista, Windows 7 (32/64 bit) and it's developed using the excellent Qt SDK.

The other major difference is my ROM Builder includes a help file which explain the memory map of U1MB and how the whole procedure works, so it's geared towards the user not the geek (a.k.a technically savvy :) ).

My software is also open source, so one can examine the code or even modify it to their needs, and I am always here to give support in case you need it. It is also multi platform but you'll need to compile the source on Linux or Mac OS as I only provide Windows binaries. Windows binaries can however run on Wine.

So that's basically it. I hope this information will also help other users who may have questions in their mind.

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 4

Thanks AtariGeezer and atari8warez, that cleared up my confusion. Very excellent description a8w btw. Succinct but thorough. I have been putting off learning about this but my side 2 will be here soon so I need to get the pbi rom in there.

I have the understanding now to get this done. Best Regards.

Thanks guys, I know how it is, it took me a while to get all this straight and I am still learning.... My next step is to get my programmer and recover my U1MB, I always wanted to buy a programmer but put it off until Ontario Hydro forced me to :grin:...

By the way if anyone wants to flash their U1MB and if they have a UPS for their PC I strongly suggest connecting the Atari to the UPS before they start flashing, especially if you have frequent brownouts or blackouts in your area, otherwise you may be investing into a programmer before you know it ;)

Edited by atari8warez

Ok, whew I have been looking to all this tonight and I am getting closer :)

If I understand correctly, the Rom Generator creates a rom which will fit all the banks in the U1MB so I have to gather all the various roms together.

SDX: I think the right SDX is at flashjazzcat's site http://www.atari8.co.uk/apt/side/default.html SpartaDOS X 4.46a correct?

GUI: well not out yet so leave blank.

BIOS: Is this the file at Lotharek's site http://lotharek.pl/z...imate1mb-v2.rom ulitmate1mb-v2.rom?

RSVD: I guess leave this blank.

PBI: Also at flashjazzcat's site http://www.atari8.co...mb/default.html Ultimate 1MB APT PBI ROM v.0.3?

Basic: 4 slots...Well I found several in the TOSEC archive...Does the U1MB come with a Basic installed?

8k Games: 4 slots...well this is up to me I guess.

OS: 4 slots...well I found one on my hard drive named Atari OS Rev 3 (1985)(Atari)[800XE-65XE-130XE].rom so I guess that would good for 1 slot..not sure about the others.

Am I on the right track?

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

Not quite that easy, unless you know the tricks. Check this out

OS: 4 slots...well I found one on my hard drive named Atari OS Rev 3 (1985)(Atari)[800XE-65XE-130XE].rom so I guess that would good for 1 slot..not sure about the others.

Am I on the right track?

Yes but as AtariGeezer pointed out it's easier to start with a default U1MB Rom which contains all basic individual ROMS and then customize.

This reminds me about one more difference between the Ultimate Rom Builder and Rom Generator. Rom Builder includes and starts with the BASE ROM so you don't have to hunt the ROM around to start using the program. The base ROM used in ROM Builder is version 2 (the ROM from the second run of U1MB).

This reminds me about one more difference between the Ultimate Rom Builder and Rom Generator. Rom Builder includes and starts with the BASE ROM so you don't have to hunt the ROM around to start using the program. The base ROM used in ROM Builder is version 2 (the ROM from the second run of U1MB).

Yeah, easy enough to rectify. I can put of copy of each ROM on the homepage so the main archive isn't bloated in size...

Speaking of which, "The ROM Generator" ( you forget that the name starts with "The" ;) ) is only 180k uncompressed :)

Yeah, easy enough to rectify. I can put of copy of each ROM on the homepage so the main archive isn't bloated in size...

Speaking of which, "The ROM Generator" ( you forget that the name starts with "The" ;) ) is only 180k uncompressed :)

So you see that as a shortcoming?? (re; rectify) I was only implying "difference", as I noted before, my objective when writing that program was to make it as easy to use as possible for the novice or people who value software which is more than just a techie tool, it is not a tool for the "know it all types" , neither for people who evaluate software by weight or size :)....

Yeah, Adobe Reader may be a bloatware for some (usually the same type who always complains about Microsoft and Windows), but it is also the standard by which all other pdf readers are measured, so take your pick ;)

Edited by atari8warez

Ok, whew I have been looking to all this tonight and I am getting closer :)

If I understand correctly, the Rom Generator creates a rom which will fit all the banks in the U1MB so I have to gather all the various roms together.

SDX: I think the right SDX is at flashjazzcat's site http://www.atari8.co...de/default.html SpartaDOS X 4.46a correct?

GUI: well not out yet so leave blank.

BIOS: Is this the file at Lotharek's site http://lotharek.pl/z...imate1mb-v2.rom ulitmate1mb-v2.rom?

RSVD: I guess leave this blank.

PBI: Also at flashjazzcat's site http://www.atari8.co...mb/default.html Ultimate 1MB APT PBI ROM v.0.3?

Basic: 4 slots...Well I found several in the TOSEC archive...Does the U1MB come with a Basic installed?

Am I on the right track?

Yes you are on the right track. Except that : BIOS: Is this the file at Lotharek's site http://lotharek.pl/z...imate1mb-v2.rom ulitmate1mb-v2.rom?

is not the BIOS rom. This is the whole rom with all the segments included. So no that is not the file at Lotharek's site.

What's easier is to download an existing ROM first, then add any updates.

Version 1 can be found here: http://www.atariage....ost&pid=2636692

Version 2 is the link you posted from Lotharek's site, it's the full 512k image...

Ah thanks guys...didn't know that...duuuh :)

So I D/Led the full v2 image from Lotharek, And then from within The Rom Generator I chose the "File-->Load Ultimate1MB Rom" and pointed it to the Lotharek rom and I can see it picked up all the parts inside it.

trgq.jpg

Small problem is the SDX, GUI, BIOS, RSVD, and PBI sections just say ultimate1mb-v2.rom so I am not sure what versions are there if I need to update them or not...

I know I need put the latest PBI Rom in there. Maybe the rest are ok to leave as they are?

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

rom files should never be included

instead, they should be downloaded on user demand from within generator

this way you can start fresh anew having a certanity that what he has is the newest version, or continue from what one left

When you say "ROM files should never be included" do you mean that the program should start with a completely empty U1MB ROM and the user must load each individual ROM separately? If that's the case what is wrong starting the program with a default U1MB ROM already loaded, as long as we know which version it is?

Also I have another question regarding flashing. When one flashes a U1MB on a XEGS machine, does it matter whether the XEGS jumper is ON or OFF on the U1MB?

Thanks

Edited by atari8warez

it should be not included, if not found, downloaded if user agrees to, if not, file open dialog opend

xegs jumper has no impact on flashing

Well if there was a definitive download link that's guaranteed to remain current, that would have been great, but there isn't (Lotharek's site has a link for v2 only), so the best option for the ROM Builder is to include one to start with, and allow the user to load one by opening a dialog (which it already does) if he's not satisfied with the default ROM. I see no problems with including the ROM for user convenience as long as they know which version it is.

Thanks for the answer...

Edited by atari8warez

Ah thanks guys...didn't know that...duuuh :)

So I D/Led the full v2 image from Lotharek, And then from within The Rom Generator I chose the "File-->Load Ultimate1MB Rom" and pointed it to the Lotharek rom and I can see it picked up all the parts inside it.

trgq.jpg

Small problem is the SDX, GUI, BIOS, RSVD, and PBI sections just say ultimate1mb-v2.rom so I am not sure what versions are there if I need to update them or not...

I know I need put the latest PBI Rom in there. Maybe the rest are ok to leave as they are?

Yep, you can leave the GUI and Reserved Slots alone for now...

Then update the SDX, BIOS and PBI Slots when needed.

So as of now, you can update SDX to 4.46 and update the PBI Rom to the latest.

I can add the SDX version info to the description, as long as it's location in the ROM doesn't change...