IGNORED

It Begins, Starting with the 7800

Jaynz

Well, it's happened. My 7800 finally arrived today in very good shape. Got it hooked up, thanks to AtariAge's RF convertor and was off and running. I never actually had this console before, having missed out on the test market and having gotten a NES for my high school years instead. So I'm coming at this from someone who looks at it as an 'advanced 2600', which is effectively what the machine is.

The set that I got from Amazon was in remarkably good shape. It didn't include an RF cable (used a spare I already have) and it only had the one controller. The controller that came with the machine had the fire buttons mistakenly placed upside down, which was easy enough to correct. Sadly, the 'left' position is flakey, and probably not pressing down well. I haven't figured out a good fix for that.

I also picked up a number of games and a second controller from a local vintage store. Unfortunately this second controller was beyond salvaging. One spring was missing, the other fire-button had broken contacts, and rust had seeped onto the contact board. No way to save that one, so it sadly went into the bin.

Overall, not a bad little machine. Graphics are actually better than what else was out there at the time, with Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior (the two 7800 games that I picked up) being fairly visually accurate. But the SOUND - dear Lord - my ears ache. Imagine a 2600 trying to sound like an NES and failing miserably... and this is what you get.

The 2600 mode got more of a workout, with the Pac Family in full attendence, along with Phoenix and Space Invaders. My youngest (9) tried her hand at some of the old games, and wondered 'why do you have to turn the power off to change games', 'why do you have to hit the reset button THERE', and grimaced at the sound effects. She liked the games themselves, though.

Probably not a lot left I can do with the machine until I replace the stick with a couple of good refurbs. I'll also likely try out one of AtariAge's homebrew next week as well.. Super PacMan calls to me.

Edited by Jaynz

I highly recomend that you get a hold of "Ikari Warriors", "Tower Toppler", "Commando" and "Alien Brigade"........Some of the best games for the 7800.

Also get a hold of some of the veteran members here and have someone make you a cart of "Plutos" and "Sirius".....

Contact ShawnSr.......I recently got a cart of Sirius and Plutos from him....Those are awsome games...

Also, Check out all games made by PacManPlus...He makes the best aftermarket games for the 7800......And his new game "Bentley Bear" will be coming out soon...It has the potential of being the best game ever made for the 7800 system.

Also, don't forget to appreciate the good people of AtariAge.com that keep Atari alive and well...

Enjoy your 7800...

P.S, you should try and get a hold of the European Atari 7800 Joypad controllers....You can probably find them on Ebay or BestElectronics.com

They are very similar to Sega master system or NES controllers.

Well, I got two more 7800 regulars ordered. I have to, at this point, get the system up and running on the cheap, so this was the best way to go for the moment. I'll probably look for the joypads closer to Christmas.

As for games, I'm eyeing the PacMan Collection, Jr. Pac, and Super Pac, to get the family back together. Again, since I'm doing this on the cheap, they'll have to be spread out. Still, AtariAge is going to get more cash from me in the next few weeks. :)

Well, I got two more 7800 regulars ordered. I have to, at this point, get the system up and running on the cheap, so this was the best way to go for the moment. I'll probably look for the joypads closer to Christmas.

As for games, I'm eyeing the PacMan Collection, Jr. Pac, and Super Pac, to get the family back together. Again, since I'm doing this on the cheap, they'll have to be spread out. Still, AtariAge is going to get more cash from me in the next few weeks. :)

as for controllers i would go with a golden axe nes pad converted for 7800. I have two and like them. I have four 7800 original pads in bubble wrap. they kinda suck. too thin d pad is 80% as good as nes and 1 and 2(ab)buttons too far apart for quick gameplay esp. when you need to do both or roll your thumb from one to the other.

Congratulations. The 7800 is my fav system (as if you couldn't tell by my handle). I bought mine off Ebay over 12 years ago and it still works like a charm.

The arcade ports are fun, but try a few more of the more original games for the system like Scrapyard Dog and Midnight Mutants. They're unique but fun.

I have a 7800 Atari Joypad, one of the NES converted pads, a joystick from the Goat Store, and two 7800 joysticks. I prefer the joysticks for most games. However, I find Ax's NES pad really good for Commando and Ikari Warriors.

As for games, you need Robotron, which is cheap and common and incredible. Anything from PacMan Plus is also a great idea.

Now, I personally think every 7800 game is worth picking up. There's a way to enjoy all of them. But then, I also played Super Huey to completion, without any indication that completion was something that actually could occur. So many hours testing to see if it was even possible. All to see two words and an exclamation point. Good times. :)

Well, a bit of good news, though a day late, the controllers DID finally arrive today. Both work, though one is a smidgeon more loose than it should be. This also means that I have a spare 'bum' controller that could use a loving home (send PM to me if you want it and you're in the States). Played 7800 DK, DK Jr, and 2600 Jr. Pac to test them out, and it was a fun nostalgiac experience, though the 7800 games really -really- suffer in the sound department.

Tommorow I order -something- ... just not sure exactly what just yet. :)

Nearly cleaned out one of the local vintage gaming stores (there are three in town, so I'm hitting them in succession!) of their 7800 games. Today I picked up Choplifter and Pole Position II for the 7800 - haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Also got Joust, Missile Command, Defender, and GORF for the 2600, all of which need cleaning (and relabelling, naturally).

Lastly, AtariAge got some money from me today as I ordered the PacMan Collection. I admit that I got this included with a 7800 emulator I downloaded, so this won't be quite as new to me as it probably should be, but it's a very nice package and a good way to start up my 7800 Pac Family. Now to convince PacManPlus that he wants to make KC Munchkin...

I know that BennyBingo had a lot of 'dupes, you may wish to send him a PM. I was also an NES kid growning up- my best friend's dad bought a 7800 but I do not remember playing it then. I do agree with you that it feels like the "big kid" VCS and the arcade golden age is in its bloodline. BTW check out Desert Falcon if you are into weird games, that's a weird/fun one.

Ill make this simple for you.

BUY ALL THE ATARI 7800 GAMES THAT EXIST.

ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO PURCHASE ALL OF THE GAMES FROM ATARIAGE.COM STORE.

I JUST FINISHED COLLECTING ALL THE GAMES AVAILABLE IN THIS SITES STORE.

THE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS EXCELLENT.

THE ORDER PROCESS WAS EASY AND CONFIRMATION RECEIVED RIGHT AWAY.

THE GAMES WERE SHIPPED VERY QUICKLY AND EACH INDIVIDUAL CART WAS SAFELY PACKAGED.

EVERY SINGLE GAME IN THE ATARIAGE.COM STORE IS GOOD.

THE " WORM" GAME by ShawnSr IS VERY ADDICTIVE and fun.

ALSO I HIGHLY RECCOMEND YOU GET "FAIL SAFE" BY PACMANPLUS.

ITS LIKE COMBAT ON STEROIDS AND VERY FUN.

Seconded for Food Fight and Pac Man Collection. For good sound, try out Beef Drop. I have the original with the sound chip installed, and I have the VE version without. Both of them are top notch in the sound department.

Some other games you might look into are Joust, Galaga, Asteroids, and Centipede. If you can get your hands on a trak-ball controller, Centipede is even better.

Edited by shadow460

BUY ALL THE ATARI 7800 GAMES THAT EXIST.

Well, having read this, my wife would like a word with you. Well, not so much a "word" as a physical action involving her knee and a couple of body parts best not mentioned on public forum. :)

ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO PURCHASE ALL OF THE GAMES FROM ATARIAGE.COM STORE.

Well, I'll be building up my collection a little slowly but surely. Fortunately most of the regular 7800 games are under $10, so they're not too hard to get. I'll be getting the homebrews eventually as well (PacMan Collection is on its way)... and I'll also be looking at homebrewing, as soon as I get a couple of hours to learn the setup.

THE " WORM" GAME by ShawnSr IS VERY ADDICTIVE and fun.

ShawnSr only made the original carts and label but I wrote the game. Thanks for the compliment.

Your welcome.LoL, then I shift my compliments to you sir.An honest mistake on my part....I was misinformed because the cart has his name on the cartridge label, so I figured he must of made the game.You should make a sequel to "Worm".....................Maybe add powerups, bad guys like maybe birds that want to eat, weapons and duel player options..........if you make new games in the future id be interested in buying more carts.

Thanks.

Edited by Stun Runner 87

You should make a sequel to "Worm".....................Maybe add powerups, bad guys like maybe birds that want to eat, weapons and duel player options..........

Some good ideas but I'm not really into sequels. In my opinion its much more fun writing new games rather than revisiting old ideas.

if you make new games in the future id be interested in buying more carts.

Have a look at my AA profile for links to my WIP 7800, Intellivision and Jaguar games.

Groovy, I definately admire new efforts. But my homebrew purchases are going to be limited to a couple a month for the time being, so it may be a little bit before I get to "Worm". (The Pac Family, which is a household favorite, has to come first). I also discovered that the second of the three vintage stores in rough promixity here are out of 7800 games... so I'll probably wind up hitting Amazon next time for a couple more.

I ALSO need to suck it up and start undoing the rust from the gears as to ASM programming. It's been WAY too long...

Yeah, pole position 2 kind of sucks.

FoodFight would of been an awsome game to come with the 7800 system.

Even Asteroids would of been a better game to include with the console than pole position 2.......Asteroids actually did come with the console in Europe already built in th consoles memory banks.