IGNORED

It Begins, Starting with the 7800

Jaynz

Mario Brothers

No "Super", No "Mushrooms", dammit. This is the old-school Mario Brothers! I played the hell out of this when there was a machine at the local 'convenience store' (forget the name of it, it wasn't a chain like Village Pantry, etc.) . The gameplay of the Atari 7800 port is all right, though a little sluggish. Music isn't as awful as I would expect, but games like this really make you wonder why they didn't just put the damn Pokey chip on the MB... Anyway, a good port that seems fairly complete. Not perfect, and not as good as the NES version, but that's probably to be expected.

You probably have your trakball set in joystick emulation mode. Not quite the same think as true trakball mode.

That's how I always used my 2600 Trackball, in joystick mode. I always had better results with it on Missile Command, Centipede, and Millipede. And that's exactly how I used to play the 7800 Centipede with great results.

Xevious

The other half of my previous order (I'm running out of the 'cheap' games now).. Xevious has a rattle in the cart, but it works and I'm loathe to open the cart, ruin the sticker, and see what's shakin' inside. The game is surprisingly true to the arcade, albeit not as pretty and certainly not as good-sounding. I'm amazed at the graphics shown, though, and the smooth vertical scrolling is pretty nice. Easily shows that games like 1941, Dragon Spirit, etc., could have found a home on this console if it had been better supported.

Xevious is a definite must-have on the 7800. And like with Galaga, Dig Dug, Joust, and other "7800 titles" that made it to the NES, I'd have to say the 7800 version is better.

Mario Brothers

No "Super", No "Mushrooms", dammit. This is the old-school Mario Brothers! I played the hell out of this when there was a machine at the local 'convenience store' (forget the name of it, it wasn't a chain like Village Pantry, etc.) . The gameplay of the Atari 7800 port is all right, though a little sluggish. Music isn't as awful as I would expect, but games like this really make you wonder why they didn't just put the damn Pokey chip on the MB... Anyway, a good port that seems fairly complete. Not perfect, and not as good as the NES version, but that's probably to be expected.

If you really like the Pokey audio chip, definitely buy Ballblazer [and Commando]. Commando actually uses the Pokey and the 2600 audio chip so it has 6-channel sound. Ballblazer's audio I'd rate higher on the 7800 than on the C64.

Going straight from the arcade version, the NES is a bit better - even ignoring the sound issue. Of course, it was one of Nintendo's own titles and they did a pretty damn good job on their 'inside' library, which is why I wasn't surprised that it's so strong on the NES. This is not, in the least, to say the 7800 version is bad, it's actually very good. But it is a little sluggish and the sound has the usual 7800 issues. (And, I don't know if you get the icicles going from level 20 on just yet in the 7800 version. It's in the NES version, but not in a lot of other versions.)

B*nq

Okay, let's just get this out of the way and declare "this is Q*Bert" and have done with it. As such it's a very nice port of the arcade version onto the 7800, and includes all the characters. Everything is excellent except for the sound (and bless 'im, the game tries). Definately a must-have in anyone's 7800 collection, and more the pity that Atari didn't do work like this more in the first place...

• 2 weeks later...

Beef Drop

"Burgertime, only not". Another very nice port of an arcade game to the 7800, with only the niggling and ever-present issue of sound hitting the game's overall quality. (Though in fairness, Beef Drop keeps the music simple so it keeps it from sounding too bad.) Burgertime is a bit more of a 'niche' arcade title from 'back in my day', but it would have been a nice addition to the 7800's anemic lineup. I can't say that it's as much of as 'must get' like B*nq or the amazing Pac Man Collection, but it's a good game to kick back with at the top of the second tier. Excellent work for a homebrew, and definately professional-level quality!

• 2 weeks later...

Space Invaders

Really hard to say enough good things about this 7800 homebrew. It's an amazing port of Space Invaders, looking and sounding like the arcade game while adding in all those features from the 2600 version of the game. If you're an arcade completist, this is simply a 'must get'.

Space Invaders

Really hard to say enough good things about this 7800 homebrew. It's an amazing port of Space Invaders, looking and sounding like the arcade game while adding in all those features from the 2600 version of the game. If you're an arcade completist, this is simply a 'must get'.

I agree...see my blog on Space Invaders here: http://retrogameguy.com/2012/10/20/space-invaders-2/

Beef Drop

"Burgertime, only not". Another very nice port of an arcade game to the 7800, with only the niggling and ever-present issue of sound hitting the game's overall quality. (Though in fairness, Beef Drop keeps the music simple so it keeps it from sounding too bad.) Burgertime is a bit more of a 'niche' arcade title from 'back in my day', but it would have been a nice addition to the 7800's anemic lineup. I can't say that it's as much of as 'must get' like B*nq or the amazing Pac Man Collection, but it's a good game to kick back with at the top of the second tier. Excellent work for a homebrew, and definately professional-level quality!

I guess you are playing the non pokey version?

• 2 weeks later...

Id really like to score a copy of missing in action as well. why wont the atariage store make this one? cart size?

I think it had rather unique cart requirements. So until Atari Age starts doing a new 'melody' system for 7800 carts, I'm afraid this one's temporarily out of bounds.

I think it had rather unique cart requirements. So until Atari Age starts doing a new 'melody' system for 7800 carts, I'm afraid this one's temporarily out of bounds.

Not really, it's a fairly standard bankswitched cart but I don't think Al is making any 7800 carts that use bankswitching. So basically only 48K carts and smaller.

Mitch