IGNORED

5200 * serial number question

peedenmark7

I recently picked up a parts 5200 which carries the * in the serial number. As we all know this is the rare 4 port that accepts the 2600VCS adapter, released at the end of the 4 port run.

What I find odd is that my asterisk 4 ports lower housing has the cut out for the power supply plug like a 2 port, where as your typical 4 port does not.

That said, did Atari manufacture a 4 port lower housing with the intentions of keeping the 4 port format but elimnating the original power/ RF switcher ?

I never noticed this until today as I popped a new motherboard purchased from best, into the * unit.

Thoughts ?

Atari did manufacture some Four port systems that didn't require the funky switchbox. Or, should I say they remanufactured them...

Check out this thread of mine with photos. Although the one I had didn't have an * in the serial number... I believe it worked with the adapter.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/176462-4-port-system-that-uses-regular-switchbox/

Is the new motherboard compatible with the VCS Adapter?

The mother board I purchased from best is identical to what was in the unit originally , and yes it works with the vcs . same numbers and markings, just a new 4 port board dated 2 months prior to mine.

Edited by peedenmark7

Atari did manufacture some Four port systems that didn't require the funky switchbox. Or, should I say they remanufactured them...

Check out this thread of mine with photos. Although the one I had didn't have an * in the serial number... I believe it worked with the adapter.

http://www.atariage....ular-switchbox/

Wow that is weird.. Yet another production quirk. I have the hole in the lower casing but no switch on the board.

No * and yours work with the vcs adapter ?

Mine is; AT*363 0451657

Edited by peedenmark7

Is the new motherboard compatible with the VCS Adapter?

The mother board I purchased from best is identical to what was in the unit originally , and yes it works with the vcs . same numbers and markings, just a new 4 port board dated 2 months prior to mine.

That is good to know. The mod for VCS compatibility is not hard, but it is not quick either. It is has many steps.

I purchased an official mod kit from someone here a long time ago when I modded one of my 4 ports.

Luckily the kit came with a network of resistors pre-soldered together. So, that made it a little easier.

One thing I did not like is it requires you to break one of the posts next to the cart slot to run wires under the board.

I want to do this mod to another 4 port I have but I have to remember who I purchased the kit from!

Anyway, it is good to know one can get a version of the 4 port board already compatible.

Update to say that I just received my donor 5200 off of ebay.. I purchased this fully functional unit to complete my * numbered project.. I bought it for the top only .

However, I think I am going to have to find another donor upper housing as this is hands down the cleanest used 5200 I have ever seen !!!. EP123 date coded 4 port, there is nary a blem to be found on it. absolutely no scratches or wear around the cart port. the storage door is in awesome condition.

It would be sad to put a beater top on this unit and pop it on the bay.

I thought my 1st l 4 port was clean, this one looks to have just been removed from the box in '82 !!

$50 shipped was a steal !

Black is such a b!tch to photograph...it really is 99.9% flawless

post-28653-0-59106000-1346517410_thumb.jpg