IGNORED

GameStop to start selling the "classic" games from their warehouse

Red 5

GameStop is smart to do this online only, because I am not sure there would be enough demand to have retro stuff in all of their retail locations -- especially if they want to have a selection that is worth a damn.

Now with it being online only I think it is doomed to failure -- unless the market the hell out of it. For folks getting into the hobby eBay is and will be the default location to get started. I just don't see how GameStop could even compete against the 800# gorilla that is eBay.

I would be concerned about the impact it would have on locally owned game stores (I am lucky to have a few good ones in my area), but even then the really good ones do such a good job working with their customers and building a good business I don't think that GameStop would hurt them either.

You guessed incorrectly.... it's not a lengthy process at all. It takes one phone call, and the charge is reversed. That's it. I have advanced Plastic. :twisted:

From the perspective of the cardholder, yeah, it's as easy as a phone call, but the credit card company definitely doesn't encourage this sort of behaviour. It's a hassle for them and I wouldn't be surprised that a cardholder with a history of initiating chargebacks against retailers might start getting some awfully curt treatment when he or she calls in to customer service. A chargeback also means a fee for the retailer in question. Everyone can appreciate how it sucks to be burned by an uncool return policy, but for the sake of greater happiness in the world, this course of action is probably best saved as a last resort.

You guessed incorrectly.... it's not a lengthy process at all. It takes one phone call, and the charge is reversed. That's it. I have advanced Plastic. :twisted:

From the perspective of the cardholder, yeah, it's as easy as a phone call, but the credit card company definitely doesn't encourage this sort of behaviour. It's a hassle for them and I wouldn't be surprised that a cardholder with a history of initiating chargebacks against retailers might start getting some awfully curt treatment when he or she calls in to customer service. A chargeback also means a fee for the retailer in question. Everyone can appreciate how it sucks to be burned by an uncool return policy, but for the sake of greater happiness in the world, this course of action is probably best saved as a last resort.

When a Seller sends me an item not as described, and then promptly tells me to go to hell when I attempt to return said item... it's chargeback time. No, it's not actually... it's all part of the job. It's best utilized when a Seller decides he's going to dictate whether or not an item sent not as described can be returned or not... and strangely, this has been happening a 'lot' with me this year.

The biggest issue I run into are ex-smokers items. There are fools in this world who believe they can sell an item that reeks of tobacco as if everything is hunky dory, and then they get majorly butt hurt when they're told the item is coming back... not with plastic, bubba... I will have what I paid for or it's going back and so is my mula.

I think putting some in the store would be a good idea. I can't see the online only thing really workinging for them. Those that shop for classic gaming gear online already know where to get the best deals on the stuff they want. If GS hopes to come in and change where people buy their games they need to price them better than the other places I can get games from.

If they have the games in the store they can become an impulse buy for all those hipsters out there that just love to have classic gaming stuff around their house. They could also make a killing off those "classic gamers" that like to make suits or armor and toilets out of carts. I can't stand those ass-hats, but surely they would love to buy those carts from good ol' Game Stop.

EDIT: Stepped off the sales floor and watched the video in that link just a secound ago. I don't like the guy in that video or his company much anymore. The "or the really old stuff your parents used to play" comment erked me pretty good.

This can be good and bad. GameStop isn't stupid, and they won't horrendously overprice their stuff. It may be a little more expensive, but it won't be terrible. In that sense it will be a great reference tool for people that want to sell their stack of 2600 carts at a yard sale for $50/each. Everybody knows who GameStop is, and when you pull up their website on your smartphone and show them a copy of Combat is worth two bucks then perhaps you can talk yourself into a deal.

On the other hand, unless they're willing to price dump all their product at first in order to gain a foothold, their business model will fail. The collectors out there already have their places of doing business. Even if it's just yard sales, garbage cans, flea markets, and pawn shops. Collectors generally HATE GameStop due to them running all the mom and pop stores out of business that would actually sell Colecovision games in the first place. The people that still shop there are the modern console enthusiasts that buy based on familiarity and convenience. If they want to play an NES game, they'll probably just download a ROM for free.

If GameStop is successful with this, it's going to be an entirely uphill battle.

• Like 1

If GS is smart about the pricing, they could reset the value celing, as has been mentioned. This could be a great benefit to the community, if it's done right. GS stands to make a lot of money - and they don;t even have to gouge.

You can bet they will, though.

I don't see how. The community cares about condition, and in many cases completeness. I cannot see how GS can offer both satisfactorily. Another issue, how do they restock? Are we now going to be bidding against GS buyers on ebay? Will GS start taking trade-ins at local stores? That I feel will be very painful to the few retro game stores out there, who will have their inventory sources taken away. Especially since GS is just going to put them in their mail packs back to the warehouse. I see very very little positive about this.

Now, what they could do, and may, is model the Barnes & Noble (parent company) stores which sell used books. Have you seen them? They are few and far between. You can trade in old books, although they don't take them if they have too many of that genre at the time. You don't get a ton for them. I find it very fun to browse that section though, even though the prices are usually way above Amazon. They could do this with games, but that means floor space which most GS stores don't have, they are too small.

What GS should have done years ago was to establish an ebay alternative, like the lightly used game gavel, for video games. By now, that may have had the market share over ebay. They didn't, because they're short sighted. Now they're coming running it at the last minute? Like the used BN book example, GS could make a portal for people to sell their used games and take a commission, like Amazon does, but they'd be 3rd fiddle in the game. They're only hope would be to leverage their points system somehow.

Edited by Greg2600

If GS is smart about the pricing, they could reset the value celing, as has been mentioned. This could be a great benefit to the community, if it's done right. GS stands to make a lot of money - and they don;t even have to gouge.

You can bet they will, though.

I don't see how.

I see your point, but, here's mine: If GameStop is selling games at fixed prices, which they always have (even when the were selling NES game in shop), there's a good chance that they are going to lower the ceiling on a lot of games because they want to sell them. That example will be a beacon to all the crap sellers that take a nod from the odd auction they've seen.

The whole "offical appraisal" schlock will go out the window. Let's not forget that there are MANY small retro gaming stores that have inflated prices, too. I don't want to see any small business owner put on the street, no matter their pricing structure. Here's a fact, though: If GS remains online only for retro sales, there will always be a market for walk-in businesses.

It'll be an upheaval, and one that could be of great benefit in regulating prices, even if only a little bit. Look at it this way, if the endeavor fails for GS, they'll sell off the stock they have cheap.

Bottom lin - they are going to do this. It's up to us as a community to adjust to it so it hurts us as little as possible.

So you are saying, as an example, Chrono Trigger sells avg. for $50 loose on ebay, GS prices it at $30. Even though I doubt they have more than a couple copies. This will somehow lower the going rate on ebay? I disagree, because ebay pricing is all demand based on games like that. On the contrary, works the same with common carts. If GS overprices, again ebay prices will not be greatly affected because it's demand and there are always 0.99 cent start auctions.

So you are saying, as an example, Chrono Trigger sells avg. for $50 loose on ebay, GS prices it at $30. Even though I doubt they have more than a couple copies. This will somehow lower the going rate on ebay? I disagree, because ebay pricing is all demand based on games like that. On the contrary, works the same with common carts. If GS overprices, again ebay prices will not be greatly affected because it's demand and there are always 0.99 cent start auctions.

This is why I used phrases like "good chance", "hopefully", and "possible". :)

Also, you're using logic, and the sellers I'm hoping will be affected... don't. All it takes is one Google search, and, every so often, someone might get a better deal. It's just a possible benefit from what is an otherise laughable prospect.

GameStop never should have stopped selling old games in the first place. Actually, I think that was more or less EB and FuncoLand's fault for changing that policy before the merger, but still. Once they stopped carrying old stuff, it was difficult for a lot of people to find older games at a decent price in a local setting. My only concern is this being online-only. Who knows what the condition of your ordered items will be.

• Like 2

Any even partially seasoned collector would be wise to stay away. Austin, they just don't have the floor space to carry all those systems. I would have made the same decision for them, because they moved most of their stores to smaller spaces. I think it was more taking the EB approach, who usually operated in small mall stores. Funcolands were usually much larger. Selling old games is not worth the added rent I suppose, plus GS has never grasped that market. Even their employees are clueless. When in the past I've refused to buy a game that has no case or manual, they don't get it. When I returned a game that had that idiotic silver sticker around the top of the inner disc, because they resurfaced it, they thought I was nuts.

As I said, their dumbest oversight was never starting an online game marketplace, like Amazon does, Ebay, and gamegavel.com. Just utterly foolish, especially since the parent (B&N) already has the technology. To have a place where you can sell for systems they no longer carry.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

My only concern is this being online-only. Who knows what the condition of your ordered items will be.

Exactly the point I was about to make. When I buy a used game from GS, I investigate the game box and manual, and play swapsies until I get something in good condition. Sometimes I have them bring me out 2-3 discs before I find one that's not all scratched up. I've even been told it's against their policy to allow me to look at the disc before purchase. To that I tell them if they want a sale, I want to see what I'm buying.

I will never order a disc based game online from them, and I'd be very wary of even cart based games.

• Like 1

I have literally purchased 1 item from Gamestop my entire life lol. I was browsing for no reason and found a ps2 artonelico medlody of elemia complete w/artbook and slip case and all for like $35. Grabbed me a 10 percent off coupon or something and got it for something like $30-$33 This was just after seeing it sell for $60-$70 on ebay.

My only concern is this being online-only. Who knows what the condition of your ordered items will be.

Exactly the point I was about to make. When I buy a used game from GS, I investigate the game box and manual, and play swapsies until I get something in good condition. Sometimes I have them bring me out 2-3 discs before I find one that's not all scratched up. I've even been told it's against their policy to allow me to look at the disc before purchase. To that I tell them if they want a sale, I want to see what I'm buying.

I will never order a disc based game online from them, and I'd be very wary of even cart based games.

I've never heard such a thing... wow, I'd give anything for someone to have the audacity to tell me that to my face. I would clown that individual.... hard

I bought used discs for a few months when I first got into this... that was before I learned that buying new/sealed was 10x better value 9/10. You simply have to do your homework and buy in bulk to get solid deals on sealed items.

Gamestop is fine for the few times I go out and plunk down $60 for a brand new console game cause I HAVE to have it right then and there. I pre-ordered Skyrim from them last year, and picked Madden 13 up last week from them also.

Also, every now and then they have good sales, for both new and used stuff. I've picked up quite a bit of console and GBA/DS stuff there for much cheaper then I could have gotten online.

As with anything else in this market, you have to price shop and do your homework first.

Also, not all employees there are stupid. Some are, but I've also talked to some who knew what they were talking about, loved older games, and didn't try to sales pitch me on stuff I didn't want. In fact when I got Skyrim last year I talked to them about the older Elder Scroll games and that got into a talk about Final Fanatsy 4 and 6 and how they are some of the best JRPG's made. :)

Let's face it, this "move" by GS is not geared towards the likes of us on these kinds of forums. We already have a bad impression of GS, and that likely won't change. Honestly I don't know who it's geared towards, because I like you cannot imagine who buys from them online and expects to get something in good shape? It would make more sense in store, but as I've said, they have neither the floor space or inventory for that.

By the way, I too have done plenty of swapping at GS, and usually they are very helpful with that. Here's a funny thing though, recently when they put all their remaining Gamecube games on buy 2, get 1 free sale, I got a bunch at a store an hour away, when I was out there for something else. The girl working there went into the back room to get the discs, and came back with generic cases they must have been in. I asked what happened to the others, and she said they usually give people these and put the original ones back out for display. She was new, and I guess that must be the policy officially, but she gave me the proper ones anyway. So you can imagine the crapshoot you get online.

i ordered a few GC games online from game stop - it is a crapshoot. I liked their site and the search engine is nice. I managed to get 8 games for less than 10 dollars with free shipping after a coupon code. Most of the games came loose in generic cases, a couple actually did come in the original case. The conditions varied from not-too-bad to unworkable, but they did take the unworkables back for store credit. Overall it was a fast way to get some commons and not a bad experience. I'm cautiously optimistic.

per the article

Raines noted his company already has many old school classics, the result of trade-ins over the company's meandering 25-plus year history.

they may just be trying to unload old stock, they may not be acquiring 'new' classic games.