IGNORED

Red blood streaks thou runneth on my monitor :(

Keatah

Red blood streaks thou runneth on my monitor, and I hope it can be repaired.

The BIOS part of boot-up has red fringing. And splotches of red in some areas.

There's an overall very slight red tint to anything white.

Windows applications' title bars have red/violet 16-bit looking lines.

Contrast between black and white lines has a red fringe.

There are random violet (red on blue) dots sometimes following the mouse pointer or things with sharp edges, like if you drag a window around the corners leave red vapour trail streaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. after some dick'n around with it I found that flexing the lappy case near the ESC F1 F2 keys made the problem go away. So I took off the back altar plate and reseated some cables. The ribbon cable going to the monitor, prior to entering the hinge, seemed to be the culprit. I reseated it several times and that appears to have fixed the issue. If it comes back I'll remove the connector and buff up the contacts and perhaps retension them and put a bit of a rubber pad to help keep it mounted securely. Maybe even reflow the solder joints to the connectors in the immediate area too.

But at least it appears to be a simple mechanical problem and not a heat-sensitive IC or an internal trace. That'd be a bitch to fix.

I was glad to have "fixed" this because this lappy is 9 years old and when it comes to the basics it blows through everything smartly and smoothly.

Edited by Keatah