IGNORED

Possible 5200 n00b here - looking for advice

GodzillaIsMyCopilot

After seeing this thread, I decided that maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with a 2600. I'm giving serious thought to swapping out for a 5200.

I've seen and heard a lot of horror stories about the controllers, among other things. Obviously, there are a lot of strong supporters for this system out there.

What I am looking for is your collective wisdom - I've compiled a list:

1) What's a good rate for a refurbed or A/V modded 5200, and what is the most trusted source?

2) Contollers - which are the most reliable?

3) Games - who's got dupes, and who wants to dump them for cheap?

4) Any advice not covered here?

I have nothing against the 5200 I own a couple, but have you considered one of the Atari home computers, such as an 800xl, 65xe, xegs?, its far easier and cheaper to build a good reliable system imo

The only controllers worth a damn are the best electronics gold rebuilds

Edited by mimo

I have nothing against the 5200 I own a couple, but have you considered one of the Atari home computers, such as an 800xl, 65xe, xegs?, its far easier and cheaper to build a good reliable system imo

The only controllers worth a damn are the best electronics gold rebuilds

Yes, but not seriously, as I don;t know enough about them to make an educated decision. I realize that the guts are quite similar, but, I worry that they aren't as readily available is something should fail.

Same components as the computers and spares are readily available, larger software catalog , composite video out of the box, s-video on some models, 1 wire and a resistor to add it to others. Cheap flash software solutions available.

Same components as the computers and spares are readily available, larger software catalog , composite video out of the box, s-video on some models, 1 wire and a resistor to add it to others. Cheap flash software solutions available.

Okay, editing the OP, and posing aquestion here: which is the best combination of readily available and reliable, in the Atari computer world? You have my attention.

Okay, editing the OP, and posing aquestion here: which is the best combination of readily available and reliable, in the Atari computer world? You have my attention.

An 800XL combined with something like the SIO2PC or SIO2SD is your best bet. The only real hangup with the 800XL is that it has to be modded in order to get S-video, as Atari omitted the chroma signal for some reason. The 65XE and 130XE have S-video and most of the benefits of the 800XL, but they're cheaply made in comparison.

An 800XL combined with something like the SIO2PC or SIO2SD is your best bet. The only real hangup with the 800XL is that it has to be modded in order to get S-video, as Atari omitted the chroma signal for some reason. The 65XE and 130XE have S-video and most of the benefits of the 800XL, but they're cheaply made in comparison.

That's not an issue for me, as I don't use S-Video. I'll start researching the 800XL.

I like my Atari 8-bit computers...

However I would take a 5200 with a rebuilt controller and an Atarimax SD cart over a computer any day.

While not cheap, there are other controller options. masterplay, wico...

The computer is cool to have on a desk, tethered to a computer for sio2pc, then a disk drive and dedicated monitor....

The 5200 is better if your just going to pull it out from under the TV to play.

It is easily moved from room to room too.

I don't find much on the computer that isn't on the 5200 to make it worth it for me.

I actually find it disappointing as a computer of that era and have much more fun with other platforms.

In fact I would say that the A8 hardware was best used in the 5200.

This is my opinion. I understand it is not a popular opinion. :)

I do not believe that you are wasting your time with the 2600, I believe that every serious Atari fan/gamer should have the 2600 in some form, the 5200 as well as the 7800.

Some games from the 2600 carry over to the 5200 which is pretty neat really.

Where as I seldom pull out a 2600 system, I do from time to time play 2600 games through the 52 /7800 consoles.

No matter you decide on , this will not be a cheap hobby or path to travel down.

My suggestion is spend a huge wad of money all at once and buy up as many boxed or loose carts as you can. When the economy swings 'round i believe much of this stuff will begin hitting astronomical numbers again.

I think emulation & ROMS are much like pirating music from the net, you actually own nothing.

First: I truly appreciate all the advice I'm getting here, and I'm taking it all in. Keep it coming - it's helping!

Second: Check out THIS THREAD (at least the first and third posts - that's all that is releveant to this one). I am not new to gaming or collecting. My first system was an Atari Woody, then a ColecoVision (I think we got our first one in 1982). I have a lot more knowledge than this thread may have led some of you to believe. Then again, sometimes, all we forum people see is the word "n00b", right? :D

Simply put, I have found in the research I have done is that opinions and solutions to the 5200 conundruum vary greatly. This is easily the best community of concentrated, experienced collectors of these particular systems (among others). Looking to pool that information. Example: I had no idea how versatile the Atari computers were, but, I did know that hooking them up to a TV can be a nightmare.

As far as the comments on the 2600 go, the reset button on mine isn't too happy - that's what started this whole thing. Rather than plunk doen more $$$ to get another one, I thought it might be prudent to get another Atari system instead.

Like I said, keep it coming, and thank you!

edited for grammatical fascism.

Edited by GodzillaIsMyCopilot

It's not really an easy call between the 5200 and an Atari 8-bit computer (although for years I thought it was a no-brainer.) As a longtime 8-bit user, and more recent 5200 convert, I can give you a pretty good idea of the pros and cons of each choice:

5200 pros:

Analog control is great for a number of games - Centipede, Millipede (proto), Missile Command, Star Raiders, Pole Position, River Raid, come to mind.

The extra fire button is nice for a few games, too.

It's huge, black, and shiny... very stylish!

The carts are also large, and look and feel great (8-bit carts are smaller and usually much uglier)

Some nice 3rd-party solutions exist for controllers. (The Wico is my personal favorite, but tastes differ greatly)

Games are generally cheaper than their 8-bit counterparts (with some exceptions, notably Bounty Bob)

It's quite possible to get a full collection of all 69 games made for the system back in the day... much easier than most other classic systems, and far, far easier than for the 8-bit computers.)

The trackball and 2600 adapter are both nice add-on's (note that the 2600 adapter usually doesn't work with a 4-port 5200)

5200 cons:

The standard controllers rarely work at all without some kind of refurb, and even after refurbing, the fact that the firebuttons are side-mounted and the joystick doesn't self center still leaves many users unsatisfied.

The 3rd party controller solutions all tend to be a little pricy.

The game library is fairly small compared to the much larger library for the 8-bit computers (although, as noted, this can be a pro from a collectors standpoint.)

8-bit computer pro:

A keyboard!

A vast library of software, that can be easily sampled by dowloading games and loading them with a SIO2PC (or similar) solution.

Uses standard 2600 controllers

Many models can be connected to a newer TV with standard RCA cables without any kind of mod

More RAM in most models, allowing to play more complex games (RPG's, text adventures, simulations, etc.)

8-bit computer con:

Can be a bit of a learning curve to set up SIO2PC and/or set up a floppy drive, learn AtariDOS, etc. (none of this applies if simply using carts, of course.)

Carts and system perhaps a bit less aesthetically pleasing than the 5200.

No analog control (except for paddle games), and just the single fire button (but you do have the keyboard)

Carts are generally (but not always) a bit more expensive than the 5200 versions.

Hope this helps! Really, you can't go wrong either way... it's largely a matter of taste. I've thoroughly enjoyed the 8-bit computer line for decades, but after finding a 5200 at a yard sale a few years ago, it's become my personal favorite classic-era console.

• Like 1

Hope this helps! Really, you can't go wrong either way... it's largely a matter of taste. I've thoroughly enjoyed the 8-bit computer line for decades, but after finding a 5200 at a yard sale a few years ago, it's become my personal favorite classic-era console.

^ Best post yet. Definitely keeps me on the 5200 track, but I am sure I will eventually end up with an 8-bit at some point.

I probably play more 5200 than any other Atari system, though my 600xl is a close second. For the most part, many games are the same on each, though the computers have more of them. The 5200 is a truly different gaming experience versus the other similar platforms, but it is an acquired taste. While the 5200 controls hamper some games, they truly bring out some other titles.