IGNORED

My first Atari 5200

thucom

Alright well, long story short, I now own an atari 5200 4-port. no asterisk, that apparently works with the VCS adapter as one came with the system along with 2 5200 controllers, a trackball, 22 5200 games, a number of 2600 commons and controllers and manuals/overlays for most of the games and for some games not included.

So far Ive had to:

1. replace the fuse in the power supply with a fuse holder.

2. Resolder the console plug in the special switchbox, since it was barely hanging on there.

3. realign the pins on the first controller port.

4. clean alot of contacts including inside the controllers.

5. figure out how to recenter the joystick so it functions in all 4 directions again.

Some observations:

1. it looks like someone tried to replace the flex curcuit in one of the controller and failed/folded it on the left buttons wrecking most of the functions of the controller buttons some of the traces go all over the place, I suspect this is why Im having a hard time getting buttons to work on either one.

2. I managed to get one start button working, but just barely. I suspect the pins got bent when someone was trying to swap the trackball with a controller to get it to work.

Questions:

1. The power supply seems to be powering 14 volts according to my meter despite the box still only reading 9.3 v. Is that normal? I don't think replacing a fuse would do that and I double checked the connections to ensure not crossing any wires.

2. The power mod would not interfere with vcs operating properly on the 5200 correct?

3. The plasic protecting the metal plate was still on but getting to be yellow. So I tried taking it off. some of it seems to be stuck. Any advice on getting the rest of it off without scratching it to pieces?

Edited by thucom

Blah, Im having a strange problem with one of the games. I have tested the trakball on galaxian, missle command, super breakout and pole position. pole position the steering appears to be drifting to the left, even without touching the trakball at all. the other games seem to have no problem with the trakball.

Edited by thucom

ok i was able to almost duplicate your problem. I tried the game with the trackball, steering was fine, but there was no way to change gears from low to high. I then after the race was over and the game STILL ON, unplugged the trackball and plugged in the regular controller. I started a new race and the car would steer to the left the entire time. So did you have maybe the standard controller plugged in and swapped for the trackball when the game is on? Pole position dosn't seem to like controller swapping, game has to be turned off then back on for proper steering.

right now the trakball is the only fully functional controller thing I have. I haven't been swapping, but I tested it today and was having the same problem. But then I reset it and started it again with a different track and it stopped steering left. I then turned it off and back on and tried it again, still no problem. I have no idea what is going on with this.

You have to hit 7 to go into hi gear and 1 to lo gear with the trakball btw.

• Like 1

Well, I have been able to reproduce the issue and can't help but wonder if there was a slight defect in the pole position game(or mine in particular) that was causing this.

How I reproduce the issue:

1. Turn on 5200.

2. press start when game comes up.

How I 'fix' the issue:

1. Turn on 5200.

2. press start when game comes up.

3. press pause and reset when left leaning happens.

4. switch tracks

5. start again.

Sort of makes me wonder when does pole position calibrate the trakball?

just as a slight sidenote. I don't touch the trakball until the game starts in both cases.

Edited by thucom

i started out with a 4 port * unit to use with the 2600 adapter that unit died then got a 2 port unit but it too died now using a 4 port that doesnt work with the adapter

as to centering the joystick pots it helps to have a game like missile command or starwars you have to know how the sticks internal slider plates go but basically off hand i think the top pot wants to be at 12 oclock and the bottom one at 9 oclock when everything is still

i also use an ohm meter and get both centers at around 235kohm

Did you ever figure out how to fully recenter the joystick? I've been having huge problems with mine, and it's driven me absolutely bonkers.

Easiest way is to use Missile Command. Take the stick apart, load up Missile Command, and twist the 2 pot knobs until the cursor is centered. This is also a good way to test that the stick can hit all points on the screen. Then put the stick back together carefully.

• Like 1