IGNORED

My 5200 stopped working

gimpy12211

About 6 months ago my 5200 worked fine then the red power light went off and stopped working. I assumed it was the power supply. I put it away and took out yesterday to check it out. Power supply output was steady at 15 V. That should be fine.

I tried plugging everything in and the red light came on when I hit the power button, but no video. I tried to power off using the power button and it would not turn off. So I unplugged. I replugged it and not it would not turn on (red light on) when I hit power button. Then I decide to unplug everything from power box. I repluged the consul to box first making sure it had good connection then plugged in power to box. I was then able to power on consul with power button but still no Video. This is the only way I can get the red power light to turn on. Any other method it does not turn on.

Could the power box be causing the problem? or is it something in the Atari?

Thanks for any advise.

Sounds like you might have a 4 port with the special switch box?

If so, when you can get the power on (red light), does the screen go blank or are you still looking at RF "snow"?

In other words, does it display on the TV but nothing happens or does the TV show no evidence of the unit turning on?

If it is RF "snow" than it may well be the switch box.

If not something in the system could be wrong.

Try to clean the cart slot and cart contact edges.

I just get snow on the tv.

The box is the normal connection box that connects power and the Atari to the tv.

Any thought on how to fix?

Thanks

When one of my 5200 systems did the same thing it was the switch box.

It was easy to fix. Read about it here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/199871-4-port-switch-box-broken/#entry2552665

I normally turn off the power to swap games. However lots of people here claim the 5200 is designed to swap games with the power on.

I'm sure someone will chime in about it. I looked in the manual and it said nothing about it....

No idea why a button would only work to turn the system on. The button is not a two position switch. I think it is no different than a controller button.

Sometimes when the case isn't together tight you have to press a little harder on the button.