IGNORED

Options for A/V mods for A7800 (S-video, etc)

stephena

I'm looking to add S-video output to my A7800, but I don't know what options are available. I installed the Longhorn Engineer S-video mod in my 2600 a few years ago, and thought a similar product was available for the 7800. However, it looks like he's sold out of those. What other options exist? Opinions on which is best??

I'm looking to add S-video output to my A7800, but I don't know what options are available. I installed the Longhorn Engineer S-video mod in my 2600 a few years ago, and thought a similar product was available for the 7800. However, it looks like he's sold out of those. What other options exist? Opinions on which is best??

I have a s-video / composite mod and on 2 sony flat crt tv's the s-video looks horrible.

This one works fine. It's just a few resistors and a transistor, plus whatever jacks you decide to use. Some people like to build it on a seperate board & install that, but it's really not necessary.

Do you know if the EBay auction above is for the same circuit? I'm not opposed to Composite, as it's going to a professional grade Composite/S-video monitor. I just don't have anything to connect with RF.

Here is one option for a composite output:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3005921263241?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300592126324&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Also, you can contact Yurkie...he does video mods for Coleco and Atari systems...

Having done both, because RF signal was so terrible, I'm happy with both. The expensive "Longhorn" should still be available from LittleJoe and has S-Video and composite (but I haven't hooked up the composite to a connector),

Free plug: http://www.electronicsentimentalities.com/Assembled%20Mods.html

and the Transistor mod I did for free (with scrap electronics I have around). That composite picture is so much better than RF, but not as clean as S-Video. Then there is the issue of many bad reports of "Lomghorn" mods. I had mine in a last run Serial X... model, then when I bought some Homebrews that didn't run, I got an older Serial A1... model. Works the same in both.

The same transistor was used in the S-Video mod of a Sega Genesis model 1, and also an S-Video mod to its 32X add on.

There are at least four of these transistors in an Atari XM301 modem. Resistors of 100 ohms and smaller are used for these mods.

PS It's the 7800 sound that is confusing, because you have to get what comes out of the TIA and what comes out of POKEY (if one is fed thru the cartridge port).

Unless you have an existing TV with S-Video you'd like to use, there's really little reason to go for the infinitely more complicated to install and problematic Longhorn mod. Most TV manufacturers have dropped the S-Video format as their legacy connection in favor of composite. The "easier 7800 video mod" listed above is simple, elegant, and does a great job on composite. It looks better on a real CRT TV than it does on an all digital HDTV set, but then so do almost all old console systems that are pre-HD. And it's really cheap on parts and quick to assemble.

Unless you have an existing TV with S-Video you'd like to use, there's really little reason to go for the infinitely more complicated to install and problematic Longhorn mod. Most TV manufacturers have dropped the S-Video format as their legacy connection in favor of composite. The "easier 7800 video mod" listed above is simple, elegant, and does a great job on composite. It looks better on a real CRT TV than it does on an all digital HDTV set, but then so do almost all old console systems that are pre-HD. And it's really cheap on parts and quick to assemble.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I do have a specific reason for S-video; my test monitor is a professional grade S-video security CRT, and I have an S-video switchbox where I can switch between my C-128D, Atari 2600 (NTSC), Commodore CD-32 and now Atari 7800. Now, the monitor also has BNC composite input, but it would be nicer to just have S-video for everything.

As for installation, that's not a problem. I installed a similar board in my 2600 a few years back, and it's still working (and I didn't blow anything up!), so I'm comfortable with that stuff.

I've heard back from the 'electronicsentimentalities' link above, and they do ship to Canada. So barring any other issues like exorbitant shipping, I think I'll go that route.

Thanks! I've ordered a board and jack set for my 7800. It'll be nice not to have to use the fuzzy TV anymore.

edit: Hmm, the jack set is now out of stock - sorry if I beat you to it stephena!

Edited by SpiceWare

Make sure when you desolder the chip for the socket that you remove the chip carfully.

i thought i removed it nicely but damaged some traces and i cant get 2600 games to work properly.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably try practicing on an old board first, to get into the hang of it again (it's been a few years since I did this type of work).