IGNORED

Special Atari 2600 Gold?

rasch_C

I have to wonder every time I see an auction listing for an 2600 console with an asking price of >$400. Yeah, it may be a heavy sixer, and may be complete with box, but is the box worth $700? My head spins everytime I see one of these auction.

Most recently, I see a couple current listings with prices at $800 and $1000 (sorry, $999). What is sooo special about these? Am I missing something? Do they actually sell any at these prices? If not, why do they continue to try to get these astronomical prices?

When I first read this, I thought you meant Al Alcorn's gold plated 2600

I thought the same thing.

To the OP, people are crazy sometimes. Maybe they saw something on TV that made them think they could get rich off the stuff in the closet. Maybe they heard someone say Atari stuff was worth a bunch in a shoe store somewhere. You never know where people get the ideas they have. At the end of the day just laugh at them and move forward. It sucks when you see something you really want jacked up like this, but outside of that it is just their loss and I'll let them have it every time.

When I first read this, I thought you meant Al Alcorn's gold plated 2600

Yeah, I realized that after I posted (lol). Didn't know that existed 'til after I posted.

It was more of just a curiosity, or thought. I'm all set with consoles I have. I just seemed to notice this last year, when I got back into Atari, as being a quite regular type of auction. Just "smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave."