IGNORED

Atari 7800 F.P.S.

NIKON

Actually, it's 30 in NTSC and 25 in PAL. Those were the native fps rates of pre-HD televisions.

The frame alternates an interlaced signal. It would only be truly 60 fps if it were capable of outputting a progressive scan image, which it doesn't do.

Since I use an emulator.. the lowest frame rate I can go to is 50 FPS...and that seems to slow things down alot...so I play at 60 FPS ... When I put it up to 70 FPS this move is fast motion...LOL sure is funny to see Atari 7800 games go so fast.

Actually, it's 30 in NTSC and 25 in PAL. Those were the native fps rates of pre-HD televisions.

The frame alternates an interlaced signal. It would only be truly 60 fps if it were capable of outputting a progressive scan image, which it doesn't do.

Actually, you're wrong - it's 60 in NTSC (actually, 59.97) and 50 in PAL. Most early game consoles, the Atari 2600 and 7800 included, do not output interlaced video; they output 262/312 scanline progressive video (NTSC/PAL, respectively). This is accomplished by not alternating between even/odd fields, so every subsequent field is a complete redraw of a new frame overlaid exactly on the previous field. You can easily tell it isn't interlaced because 1) no flicker, 2) the characteristic dark lines between rows of pixels due to the missing field.

The 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, and Sega Genesis, to name a few systems, all output progressive video exclusively. The 2600 is an odd piece of hardware in that the number of scan lines and their phase is determined by software, so it is theoretically possible to create nonstandard progressive and interlaced modes on that unit, but such modes are not RS-170A compliant, since the hardware was never intended to officially support them. The other systems are all hard-locked to progressive-only video output, usually either 262 or 263 scanlines for NTSC and 312 lines for PAL/SECAM. It wasn't until the later era of SNES/N64/Sony PS1/Sega Saturn that NTSC/PAL interlaced modes were supported in video game consoles.

Also bear in mind that the frame rate of the video output is not necessarily the same as the frames-per-second that the console is capable of. It is an upper limit, since you can't refresh the screen any faster than that, but only the Atari 2600 is truly "raster bound"; all 2600 games are in some respect 60/50 fps games since the display kernal is forced to update at the video rate. Other systems will tend to have variable frame rates from game to game depending on how well-programmed any particular game is.

262 lines isn't a full frame, it's half. A full frame is 480.

Not for non-interlaced signals. The 2600/5200/7800 send the same 262 lines 50 or 60 times a second with no 2nd field. There is a noticeable drop in animation smoothness when Atari games drop the frame rate from 50/60 to 25/30.

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot, but I came in here expecting info about a new 7800 First Person Shooter, lol!

I wasn't expecting info on a new one; I thought it was going to be another "could the 7800 do DOOM or Wolf 3D" topic.

The answer is yes. It can do anything.

Edited by Atarifever