IGNORED

Emulator Display settings for HSC play

NIKON

I am wondering if there is a rule for emulator display settings.

Some display settings actually slow down the game as if in slow motion.

Example 1..ProSystem 1.3 has several display settings that are equal to your video card resolutions. at 640x480 the game will play normal speed as if it were a cart in the console.

Now if I were to change that display setting to say 1040x768 then the game will play but in slow motion.

Example 2..MESS .. MESS has an option to speed up or slow down the Frames per Second which will speed up or slow down the game...for NTSC systems 60FPS is where it defaults to..but PAL systems are 50FPS (at least that is my understanding of PAL systems)

Now I know that there are some games where this will not matter..but then there are games where slow motion would be an advantage over the console players who do not have this option available to them.

This is only an inquiry as to the existance of such a rule.. and if there is not then maybe amend the rules to include the display settings must be on the lowest setting or the correct FPS setting for your region to truly emulate the game speed.

Some display settings actually slow down the game as if in slow motion.

ProSystem 1.3 has several display settings that are equal to your video card resolutions. at 640x480 the game will play normal speed as if it were a cart in the console.

Now if I were to change that display setting to say 1040x768 then the game will play, but in slow motion.

Sounds like a personal (computer) problem. Runs great for me at any settings.

I play in many HSCs and reading your post I remembered this text in the 2600 rules: "Also, please stay away from "questionable" emulation, such as DCStella (as it does not seem to run at full speed)"

As you see the problem was in the right speed. Many atari games use a faster speed to increase difficulty in later levels so I'd say you need to emulate the right speed to play in the HSC.

Example 2..MESS .. MESS has an option to speed up or slow down the Frames per Second which will speed up or slow down the game...for NTSC systems 60FPS is where it defaults to..but PAL systems are 50FPS (at least that is my understanding of PAL systems)

I'm not sure about difference in game speed regarding NTSC or PAL. It's possible to have different fps with the same game speed.

Imagine a live event watched both in PAL and NTSC TVs, you won't see people walking faster in the NTSC even with more frame per seconds.

This is only an inquiry as to the existance of such a rule.. and if there is not then maybe amend the rules to include the display settings must be on the lowest setting or the correct FPS setting for your region to truly emulate the game speed.

I agree, imho it won't do no bad at all to add something about emulator speed.

I play in many HSCs and reading your post I remembered this text in the 2600 rules: "Also, please stay away from "questionable" emulation, such as DCStella (as it does not seem to run at full speed)"

As you see the problem was in the right speed. Many atari games use a faster speed to increase difficulty in later levels so I'd say you need to emulate the right speed to play in the HSC.

I'm not sure about difference in game speed regarding NTSC or PAL. It's possible to have different fps with the same game speed.

Imagine a live event watched both in PAL and NTSC TVs, you won't see people walking faster in the NTSC even with more frame per seconds.

I agree, imho it won't do no bad at all to add something about emulator speed.

A live TV broadcast is different than a video game.