IGNORED

hooking up 7800 on modern tv

rushguy

I do hear you saying River Patroller that would work, however, I want to make my system portable as possible, since I have two tvs in the house I really don't want to drag the vcr around everytime when im playing on different tvs or when I want to bring at a friends house or something, anything else, i can buy that is smaller?

The video mod is pretty easy, or you buy a kit with all part so you don't have to find them yourself. Or if you don't feel you can do the mod, there are people on the board who will do them, and I believe it's cheaper than buying another device, and more portable as you mentioned you wanted.

Harmony Cart should absolutely work with the mod, and like evg2000 said, plenty of people here should be willing to mod your 7800 for a fraction of the cost of an RF demodulator, and you wouldn't have to carry around extra hardware.

Edited by Rex Dart

A timely topic. What do you do if there is so much lag, it makes games totally unplayable? Just last night my neighbor invited me over to try out my old games on his new TV. We hooked the Atari up to the VCR RF jack which was connected to the TV via either composite or HDMI (I don't remember). There was about a second's worth of lag. Seriously. I couldn't play anything it was so bad.

I just did the MOD myself.

It's not bad, but that was some tight soldering work (for someone who doesn't do it alot). If you're not comfortable with that, it'd be best to send it out..

Mine works great with my CC2 cart, so I'd imagine a Harmony would be fine as well...

desiv

I do hear you saying River Patroller that would work, however, I want to make my system portable as possible, since I have two tvs in the house I really don't want to drag the vcr around everytime when im playing on different tvs or when I want to bring at a friends house or something, anything else, i can buy that is smaller?

Just a tip, our usernames are on the top left of our posts, for example I am not River Patroller I am OldSchoolRetroGamer, just as you arerushguy and not Space Invader.

Well, your only option then is an RF DeModulator. Most examples are pricey, this is an external box that does the same thing as the VCR would. There is just no simple way, there is no simple adaptor plug to turn RF into AV because electronic circuitry is required to convert the signal. You can search "RF DeModulator" on Ebay. not sure the Shack would still stock something like that. Personally I think you would still be better off finding two old VCR with working tuners, does not matter if tape mechanism does not work, for the price. Either that or find someone to AV mod your 7800 console so the RCA jacks are built right in.

What do you do if there is so much lag, it makes games totally unplayable?

Buy a new TV.. ;-) Seriously, the MOD doesn't affect the lag at all, that's all about the TV.

There was about a second's worth of lag. Seriously. I couldn't play anything it was so bad.

A second?? WOW!

I'm sure there is some lag on my LCD, but not that I noticed.

In fact, I had my best game ever of Xenophobe last night. ;-)

desiv

Edited by desiv

A second?? WOW!

I'm sure there is some lag on my LCD, but not that I noticed.

In fact, I had my best game ever of Xenophobe last night. ;-)

Yeah, it was seriously that bad. Totally unplayable. The TV was obviously doing a ton of processing to the signal, so we looked around in the menu to find a setting we could change. We didn't find anything, so we finally quit for the night.

Thanks for the reply and the tips OldSchoolRetroGamer ,I am very new to this forum. I have found it to be a positive experience. Another alternative I was thinking if would it be possible to mod a flashback 2 system for cartridge port and use a harmony cartridge from the port?

A timely topic. What do you do if there is so much lag, it makes games totally unplayable? Just last night my neighbor invited me over to try out my old games on his new TV. We hooked the Atari up to the VCR RF jack which was connected to the TV via either composite or HDMI (I don't remember). There was about a second's worth of lag. Seriously. I couldn't play anything it was so bad.

If you experienced lag through the VCR-HDMI, then try hooking the Atari directly to the TV. I found that my DVD recorder was unusable for recording NES videos because there was a HUGE amount of output lag on the DVD player, like almost two seconds. My Happauge USB capture device is even worse. I imagine if your VCR has an HDMI port, it's likely one of those DVD recorder combo units. You need to hook the Atari directly up to the RF port on the TV set to minimize lag. Old-school analog VCRs have no frame buffer thus are lag free, if you need a composite source. Even a busted VCR that destroys tapes will likely work fine as a demodulator. Edited by stardust4ever