IGNORED

Star Raiders

GroovyBee

Why? It's a 16-bit version of an 8-bit game on the 64-bit Atari Jaguar? Surely that doesn't align with your high standards for homebrews on the Jaguar?

I don't have to explain myself to you. You wouldn't understand anyway.

Edited by Brian R.

• 2 months later...

Meh, nothing can beat the awesome gameplay of the Atari 800 Star Raiders, though Battlesphere's "Alone Against the Empires" I thought was a close modern translation.

That said, would not complain if I was given another Jaguar game (Star Raiders ST port.)

Except the awesome game play of 5200 Star Raiders !

I should probably do some more.

If only to irritate the 'not another 16-bit port' crowd, who wouldn't know what fun was if it <insert obscene comment here> ;)

Gee, Groovy, I hope you don't get so bored that you decide to port ST Gauntlet over to the Jaguar... :)

• Like 4

Hell, bring on the 16bit games, they say the 68000 is the weakness of the jag, but being as its in the genesis, sharpx680000 and Neo Geo shouldnt we get some of the best 16 bit games yet? I think it also runs at a faster clock speed that these mentioned. also be noted I have no knowledge other than specs Ive read. but some neo geo, capcom, irem, compile, raising ports- who would complain about that? other than copyrights, I think the Jag's weakness could be considered its greatest strength for retro 16bit gaming.

Hell, bring on the 16bit games, they say the 68000 is the weakness of the jag, but being as its in the genesis, sharpx680000 and Neo Geo shouldnt we get some of the best 16 bit games yet? I think it also runs at a faster clock speed that these mentioned. also be noted I have no knowledge other than specs Ive read. but some neo geo, capcom, irem, compile, raising ports- who would complain about that? other than copyrights, I think the Jag's weakness could be considered its greatest strength for retro 16bit gaming.

The availability of source code would probably be the most difficult aspect. The ST source code for Tengen/US Gold/Mindscape Gauntlet I & II might be easier than the superior Tengen Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version [Gauntlet 4] but that would certainly be the best version to port over to the Jaguar from. Throw in support for the Team Tap and Bob's your uncle. Of course, if you want to go for the gold, then you'd want to support Jag Link so you could do multi-player but with each person with their own screen.

MIDI Maze should be on the Jaguar [and same with the Lynx]. And classic ComLynx capable Lynx games like Todd's Adventure in Slime World [which also had a Genesis port] and Warbirds would also be gladly welcomed. The Jaguar's networking capabilities would be one way to make it shine via homebrew. I forgot about Road Riot 4WD…there is a Falcon version of it but that was using the Falcon's 68030...

Slight issue with the NeoGeo ports.

Very few of the games were under 32meg (4mb) vs a standard Jag cart and, even when taking into consideration the Jags ability to support 64meg carts (8mb), again, not many Neo Geo titles were under 64meg. Maybe some of the really early titles were sub-64, but I can't think of many off hand?

I'm also presuming that there's something more at hand in the Neo's hardware architecture, than just infinitely sized carts, that enables NeoGeo games to run with the amount of frames of animation, sprite sizes and level of detail that they do? (i.e. games like KOF 03 run with 2 characters on screen with 4 held in memory, compared to the PS1 which couldn't do the Capcom 2v2 tag titles due to memory constraints). All off hardware dating back to '89/90!

Also, the Neo has a completely separate processor for Sound/Music.

I figured the snk ports may not be possible, I own a Neo Geo aes anyway, just meant that some arcader 16 bit games of the time would have been great. I was also thinking about snk's "time soilders" a neat little ikari warriors type game that was never ported to anything but the sega master system. but still some capcom beat em ups, classics like Double Dragon 1 and 2. golden axe 2 the arcade version, which still has not had a home release. I'm totally dreaming hear but I think its possible. hell, maybe just some new games in the "spirit/style" of these classics. Native, that is the 2d game the Jag needed, after seeing this thats all the proof I need to claim the Jag was indeed a 2d powerhouse. also I just looked at my collection, many first gen Neo Geo titles were under 64megs, ghost pilots, fatal fury, burning fight, and magician lord ect. however these can be had for $20 on a ps2.

Thanks,

Amiga could probably be done too, assuming you can find someone with the ridiculous combination of knowledge and inclination needed ;)

That's pretty cool.

Could that be done for Amiga titles in the cases where they are better than the ST versions?

I write this without knowing if there's a Paula emulator for the Jaguar's DSP.

• Like 1

Kudos to GroovyBee and CyranoJ for their work on getting these games hacked to run on the Jag. Very impressive! I've wanted to do similar hacking on 8-bit or 16-bit games for both the Lynx and the Jaguar as a side project, but considering how long it takes me to do a primary project these days, I probably shouldn't sign up for another side project. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks,

Amiga could probably be done too, assuming you can find someone with the ridiculous combination of knowledge and inclination needed ;)

Another idea would be to hack the ST games so that they'll support the STe/Falcon/Jaguar controllers through the enhanced controller ports for use back on the ST. The software publishers certainly didn't do that originally. Some people are updating those games to work on higher versions of TOS, with other 680x0 CPUs, and to allow hard drive installation but it would be nice to also add the ECP to the mix.

I figured the snk ports may not be possible, I own a Neo Geo aes anyway, just meant that some arcader 16 bit games of the time would have been great. I was also thinking about snk's "time soilders" a neat little ikari warriors type game that was never ported to anything but the sega master system. but still some capcom beat em ups, classics like Double Dragon 1 and 2. golden axe 2 the arcade version, which still has not had a home release. I'm totally dreaming hear but I think its possible. hell, maybe just some new games in the "spirit/style" of these classics. Native, that is the 2d game the Jag needed, after seeing this thats all the proof I need to claim the Jag was indeed a 2d powerhouse. also I just looked at my collection, many first gen Neo Geo titles were under 64megs, ghost pilots, fatal fury, burning fight, and magician lord ect. however these can be had for $20 on a ps2.

Perhaps what is needed is a Flash cart that also packs extra RAM on it that can be used for banks witching purposes whether for cart ROMs or CD images. Basically an AtariMax cartridge for the Jaguar. Heck, make it a beefy cart that also added a socket for a 68020 and you could run Area 51 arcade on it by tricking it into believing it's a CoJag. :)

Glad to see this project is still alive, would be just awesome to play this top Atari classic on the Jaguar. Great conversion idea here, interesting jag development read, a skilled Jaguar enthusiast - lets hope this game comes to fruition. :cool:

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Nah! I'm not interested in selling this, so it'll be a free ROM.

Also happy to see this is still being worked on.

GroovyBee has not posted anything on this for over a year, and I believe in other threads he said Star Raiders ST was now a dead project.

Another technical challenge (see also Soulstar) where improvements were made and in some programmer's room a game was played, pictures were made, they said "Hey well that's cool moving on" and that's that. I will say, was a fun thread to follow.

Nothing to see here, aside from good messages in the past of progress and hacking.....

Edited by doctorclu

GroovyBee has not posted anything on this for over a year, and I believe in other threads he said Star Raiders ST was now a dead project.

What other threads might they be? As far as I'm concerned this still applies (emphasis mine) :-

The game plays like the ST version. It just needs the high score screen and initials entry adding and the in game sound to work better and its done and dusted. However, its not exactly a top priority for me at the moment.

That is why you should first release the game, and in second room talk about it.

As I said here :-

I have no plans. Star Raiders is just an experiment to me to see if ST games could be made to run on the jag at a good speed by doing real time conversion of the graphics (the most interesting part). Its pretty much done bar optimisations, sound and high score/rank stuff.

CJ has also proved many times over its that entirely possible to run ST games on the jag at the same frame rate. Given that this will only ever be a free binary ROM release, I'm in no rush and have nothing to prove.

CJ has also proved many times over its that entirely possible to run ST games on the jag at the same frame rate. Given that this will only ever be a free binary ROM release, I'm in no rush and have nothing to prove.

And there you have it folks, was a fun experiment and fun thread. Rom will be released, or not. Move along and play other games in the meantime...

What other threads might they be? As far as I'm concerned this still applies (emphasis mine) :-

I think this thread sums up the answers given when people have asked:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221435-klax-atari-st-to-jaguar-conversion/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2918180

Cool, it's a game on a hard drive. It works, awesome! Other than that it is not really vaporware per se, just in tinkershop limbo, which I have some projects in that stage as well, and also low on the priorities. I'll enjoy it if it's ever released by you or whoever eventually ports the game. I've gone from excited (because Star Raiders and Joust are my favorite titles hands down) to realizing it will probably be a while till anything happens. Disappointing, but I didn't put the work into porting the game, so it is what it is.

To me or anyone else, if you want to see Star Raiders sooner the message I'm getting is learn how to port ST games on your own. Fair enough.

And just bringing that reality to others so we can move on and focus on other current projects. That is basically what I get from your messages on this at least. Move on, this is low on the priorities, etc.

That aside thanks for the pictures and letting us know it can be done. This thread, I believe Elite II and some other threads were some of the first that showed that an ST game with a little tweaking without source code was possible.

And that is what I also relate to others, this thread is not about a game you can actually play but just the initial knowledge that one day such a game CAN be ported and played on the Jaguar.

(drops mic)

Edited by doctorclu

Even more kudos to CJ for actually making things happen I guess, beyond the fun factor.

Well, he might pick this one up just for the sport, and I guess Groovy will be the first one to show :) and thumbs up and all, me second.

Yes there is fun, and there is other things - thank God - in everyone's life. I could write a long list with things that are important in my life... but I wont.

(rotates mic)

Just havin' fun - in the fuuun thread.

• Like 1