IGNORED

Star Raiders

GroovyBee

An alternative is to look at the YM source of the excellent Hatari emulator. It has some influences from STsound but also others.

That code needs quite a bit of memory to hold some large tables. In my mind an algorithm that fits in the DSP's local RAM would be better in order to keep it off the bus as much as possible. Without a more in depth look at how the code uses the tables and some benchmarking/profiling I'll add it to the list of "potentials".

• Like 2

Made quite a bit of progress tonight and nearly everything is mapped to the jag pad.

Aft view and firing aft :-

post-21935-0-06932900-1350605026_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-75520700-1350605048_thumb.png

Long range scanner :-

post-21935-0-00958200-1350605074_thumb.png

Galactic map with cursor movement :-

post-21935-0-51229000-1350605110_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-88074700-1350605122_thumb.png

post-21935-0-02118800-1350605138_thumb.png

Hyperdrive :-

post-21935-0-71321400-1350605159_thumb.png

Shield on/off :-

post-21935-0-34823300-1350605230_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-17719400-1350605238_thumb.png

Computer on/off :-

post-21935-0-75873000-1350605272_thumb.png

Speed 0 to 9 :-

post-21935-0-78086800-1350605302_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-97077600-1350605308_thumb.png

The game is much more interesting to play now you can engage in dog fights and move around the galactic map.

• Like 8

Due to a serious lack of buttons ;) and the fact that I don't want the game to be a two jag pad game I've had to double up some of the keys. This is how its been mapped so far :-

Keys at the start

Fire B - Novice (easy)

1 - Pilot

2 - Warrior

3 - Commander (hard)

Keys during play

D-pad - Move left/right/up/down

Fire A - Aft fire

Fire B - Forward fire

Fire C - Hyperdrive

1 - Shield on/off

2 - Target ID

3 - Combat computer on/off

7 - Long range scanner view

8 - Galactic map view

9 - Aft view

OPTION - Emergency hyperdrive (2 presses)

HASH and D-pad left (simultaneously) - Move cursor in galactic map left

HASH and D-pad eight - Move cursor in galactic map right

HASH and D-pad up - Move cursor in galactic map up

HASH and D-pad down - Move cursor in galactic map down

STAR and 0 to 9 (simultaneously) - Set forward speed (0 is slowest, 9 fastest)

HASH and STAR (simultaneously) - Exit to title

PAUSE will be used for pausing the game (still to be implemented) and I still need to add restart at the current level which will be on 5 most likely.

Have you looked at how the keys are setup on the 5200? ;) http://www.atariage.com/overlay_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=664

Thanks for that. I hadn't looked at it prior to assigning keys but I've actually mapped the speed to the same key layout :lol:. The game's jag pad key layout isn't set in stone at the moment either. It was just a configuration to test out all the functionality present in the original ST keyboard handler.

Its not really an idea because that is exactly what the code does at the moment. Alternate suggestions are always welcome.

Well la de da...

Ok... let's take a quick look at these for a moment.

"Fire B - Novice (easy)

1 - Pilot

2 - Warrior

3 - Commander (hard)"

Looks fine.

"Keys during play

Fire A - Aft fire"

There was a aft fire? LOL!

"Fire B - Forward fire

Fire C - Hyperdrive"

Any way this could be toggled to the user's preference? I know in Bubsy those three keys are in various combinations available to the user. I like the fire at B, but Hyperdrive might be too easy to bump at C. Etc etc.

"1 - Shield on/off

2 - Target ID

8 - Galactic map view

9 - Aft view"

I think a switchable default for the number keys would be good as well. Keys for speed, or keys for accessories.

I could see wanting the keys for speed, but then some might want them for accessories.

"OPTION - Emergency hyperdrive (2 presses)"

Nice!

"HASH and D-pad left (simultaneously) - Move cursor in galactic map left

HASH and STAR (simultaneously) - Exit to title"

How about "Hash and 0" to get on the galactic map, move around, select and then "Hash and 0" to get back to regular control?

"PAUSE will be used for pausing the game (still to be implemented) and I still need to add restart at the current level which will be on 5 most likely."

Nice.

So, given a bit more time, that is what I would like to see.

I'm not in favour of having programmable keys because the game will not see a cart release (binaries only) so the settings won't be saved between sessions.

It would seem a bit cumbersome to me to activate Galactic map view and then press another key combination to start moving, move the cursor around and then press another key combination to deselect it again before navigating the ship. In the current scheme you switch to Galactic map view hold down # (right hand) and move the cursor with the d-pad (left hand) to where you want to go. Let go of hash and you immediately go back to ship control. Less keys to fumble with in the heat of battle ;).

I'm loving this topic and your work GroovyBee, I got into the ST about 10 years ago, only previously owning 8-bits and consoles. I never did try ST Star Raiders though, maybe on bad advice, I was told ST Raiders just didn't compare to the original 800/5200 versions, and at the time I was very much into Battlesphere, so I just never tried it on the ST. For now I don't have a working ST and no plans to rectify that soon, so I'm glad to see a Jag conversion (no Battlesphere any longer either).

• Like 1

if there is not enough keys, how about holding 'option' switches to a second layout? Or B or something? Is that workable?

There aren't enough keys that is why you have to hold hash and d-pad simultaneously to move around in the galactic map and star and 0 or 1 or 2 ... or 9 simultaneously to set the speed.

• Like 2

Due to a serious lack of buttons ;) and the fact that I don't want the game to be a two jag pad game I've had to double up some of the keys. This is how its been mapped so far :-

Keys at the start

Fire B - Novice (easy)

1 - Pilot

2 - Warrior

3 - Commander (hard)

Keys during play

Fire A - Aft fire

Fire B - Forward fire

Fire C - Hyperdrive

1 - Shield on/off

2 - Target ID

8 - Galactic map view

9 - Aft view

OPTION - Emergency hyperdrive (2 presses)

HASH and D-pad left (simultaneously) - Move cursor in galactic map left

HASH and STAR (simultaneously) - Exit to title

PAUSE will be used for pausing the game (still to be implemented) and I still need to add restart at the current level which will be on 5 most likely.

I don't see 4, 5 and 6 being used for anything, wouldn't it be better to use them instead of the asterick and hash tag, they are much easier to reach, not to mention that 4 and 6 map to the shoulder buttons on the procontroller which would make it even easier to use for those who have procontrollers. 7, 8 and 9 map to the z, y and x buttons too, on the procontroller.

Edit: I see 4, 5 and 6 are used for speed, in combination with the asterick, but it seems a poor use to me personally. Would it be possible to map the speed to the 4 and 6 keys, with repeated presses either speeding up or slowing down and the the 5 key to control the galactic map.

Edited by Gunstar

anychance of getting this to be a Jagnet (network) type game like battlesphere is

I have no plans. Star Raiders is just an experiment to me to see if ST games could be made to run on the jag at a good speed by doing real time conversion of the graphics (the most interesting part). Its pretty much done bar optimisations, sound and high score/rank stuff.

• Like 4