IGNORED

Venture Review

Goochman

I got my Venture cartridge today and was really excited to pop it in. This is one title I really wanted on the 8bit back in the 80's only to not see it. The 2600 version barely satisfied my desire to play this at home.

I will start with this - This version looks, smells, and plays like the Arcade. Pete did a great job with all the visual elements.

I have a few critiques though:

1. It would've been a nice touch to have Winky run around the treasure screen on his way to the dungeon like the arcade version - picky I know ;)

2. It feels and plays very much like the Colecovision version - which for me is way to easy. I ran through all the levels and treasure count barely breaking a sweat

3. Everything seems to be about 1.5x bigger perspective wise vs the arcade - I think this is one reason the difficulty is not as hard since the arrow is a bit bigger and so are the monsters so shooting them isnt very challenging. I could never get past the 3rd screen on the arcade due to Winkys clunky movement and the monsters moving fast. Speaking of which Winky moves pretty smoothly in this version - though frustrating on the arcade with the 'lag' movement of Winky, it adds to the difficulty.

I also have to admit I was a bit bummed that an extra level wasnt thrown in - maybe there is an Easter Egg to be found here.

I also think I've run into a bug - not sure if Lance or Pete come here anymore but after I cleared all the treasures I was returned to the first level but all the rooms were solid and all I could do is die. Pictures are attached including a blurry title screenshot.

IMG_0781 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0782 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0784 (Copy).JPG

• Like 1

I got my Venture cartridge today and was really excited to pop it in. This is one title I really wanted on the 8bit back in the 80's only to not see it. The 2600 version barely satisfied my desire to play this at home.

I will start with this - This version looks, smells, and plays like the Arcade. Pete did a great job with all the visual elements.

I have a few critiques though:

1. It would've been a nice touch to have Winky run around the treasure screen on his way to the dungeon like the arcade version - picky I know ;)

2. It feels and plays very much like the Colecovision version - which for me is way to easy. I ran through all the levels and treasure count barely breaking a sweat

3. Everything seems to be about 1.5x bigger perspective wise vs the arcade - I think this is one reason the difficulty is not as hard since the arrow is a bit bigger and so are the monsters so shooting them isnt very challenging. I could never get past the 3rd screen on the arcade due to Winkys clunky movement and the monsters moving fast. Speaking of which Winky moves pretty smoothly in this version - though frustrating on the arcade with the 'lag' movement of Winky, it adds to the difficulty.

I also have to admit I was a bit bummed that an extra level wasnt thrown in - maybe there is an Easter Egg to be found here.

I also think I've run into a bug - not sure if Lance or Pete come here anymore but after I cleared all the treasures I was returned to the first level but all the rooms were solid and all I could do is die. Pictures are attached including a blurry title screenshot.

Please let me use the pictures on the 5200 forum

I have a quick and lousy youtube video of Venture here:

I found there is a 2nd set of difficulty levels called 'c', I presume means challenge. This adds more monsters to the rooms and sometimes the treasure is hidden until all monsters are killed. Level 9 difficulty almost makes for the arcade challenge but I can still get through the screens pretty quick.

Thanks for that! Yep, it is Venture. Nice animation and music. I didn't see the thing that chases you ... you must be too fast for it.

Good catch - he is there but really takes a long time to come out - but when he does he's lightening fast. I watched a video on the original Venture. The 'time boss' comes out rather quickly but isnt real fast.