IGNORED

Vectrex input

SpiceWare

I recently acquired a Vectrex and have already acquired a small collection of games for it.

I plan to bring my Vectrex and a few cartridges to the Houston Arcade Expo this weekend and would like some input on which of my games I should bring, and which I shouldn't:

• Armor Attack
  • Bedlam
  • Berzerk
  • Cosmic Chasm
  • Fortress of Narzod
  • Heads-Up Action
  • Mine Storm (built in)
  • Rip Off
  • Scramble
  • Solar Quest
  • Space Wars
  • Star Castle
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  • Web Wars

For games I bring I think they should be easy for somebody to walk up and play it. I think games I should not bring would be ones that are rare, and thus it would be a shame if they walked off.

Due to time constraints, I've pretty much only checked the games to make sure they work. That said, I found Scramble to be quite impressive and easy to pick up, so I plan to bring that one unless it's rare.

Any recommendations for games I don't have that I should get?

I only have an overlay for Fortress of Narzod. Would any of the games I have work better with their overlay? I suspect WebWars and Armor Attack would benefit, but don't know for sure.

I also suspect my screen needs to be adjusted as the score in Fortress of Narzod is quite a bit off from the score box.

post-3056-0-53932200-1351708120_thumb.jpg

I always take my Vectrex to my show, most people have never seen one and it really makes an impact.

Honestly in a show environment as i think you understand already -- go as simple as possible, especially if its just the general public. Games that are obvious that anyone can pick up and play work best. I actually set Narzod up at our show but ended up taking it out after the first day because people were getting confused (sad i know). Minestorm went over a lot better because people understood the asteroids concept.

Of course if its a classic gaming crowd they might be a bit more advanced and maybe able to handle the more "complicated" games but you can never go wrong with simple :)

^ What "number six" said. Built-in Minestorm (Asteroids) and Scramble (Scramble) are most recognizable.

I heard that Narzod was fantastic, and recently got one with its overlay, but for casual gaming it's frustrating.

Web Wars is Tempest-like, but I forget how hard it starts.

Is your Vectrex a good "Make in Hong Kong" or a less-good "Made in Taiwan?" Check back under Serial Number. Serial numbers that end with "A" are Taiwan.

Any old system can go bad, but it seems to me the Taiwan ones have deteriorated faster.

Narzod came with my Vectrex, so it and Mine Storm are the games I've spent the most time with. Narzod is quite fun, but it was frustrating before I figured out how to play so I doubt I'll bring it.

Web Wars looked cool, but I couldn't figure out what to do with the brief time I had to spend with it, so I don't think it'd be appropriate for the expo. I've been quite busy wrapping up Space Rocks, getting my presentation ready, etc. which is why I'm soliciting input for appropriate games.

I plan to print out a brief instruction sheet to set beside it. It'll point out where the power knob is, to hit button 4 to start game, and what the buttons do for whichever games I end up bringing.

It's a Taiwan model.

Heh, too late to affect your decision I suppose, but Star Castle is rare and valuable, (as well as too difficult for the casual gamer in my opinion), so maybe not a safe choice.

Web Wars is much MUCH better with the overlay, and if you can get a hold of one, it is THE essential game to showcase the Vectrex in my opinion. The 3D effect requires the overlay, and it is quite impressive. It's really not a very complicated game either. Maybe just requires a brief introduction. (SHOOT/DODGE the stars, CAPTURE the trophies, ENTER the doors). - It's in my top 5 all time video games, and better than Tempest in my opinion.

Web Wars may not be THE simplest game for a stranger to pick up, but it is certainly the most impressive sight for a stranger to see on this curious old console.

Solar Quest is very straightforward and actually pretty fun in my opinion. It provides a longer and less hectic experience than other games of its type. But there is nothing spectacular or impressive about it.