IGNORED

64 columns screen driver?

ivop

I used a 64 columns driver with TurboBASIC once. Too long ago to remember what it was but it was readable on an ordinary color-TV.

Konrad (KMK) is also using 64 chars/line in his "System Info" tool which looks great. Changes are he also made a stand-alone version of the 64-columns part.

Waaaaaaaaaaay back in '85, I wrote an 80 column driver I sold to ANTIC or Analog (I forget which now... it was my very first commercial program). I also used it in a VT100 console I used with a JCAT modem to do my programming on the university mainframe from home at a BLAZING 300 BAUD!! :grin:

The 80 column driver was very compact assembly that fit in page 6. It ran in GR.8 and used special routines to compress the font pointed to by the system variable, drawing it to the screen. It was actually very readable on a regular TV over RF (it was written on an A400 hooked to a 10" Sony CRT over RF). I called the code from BASIC, which I used to do the VT100 emulation. The JCAT was hooked to an 850, and I used R: for communications. Pretty straight forward.

• Like 2

Thanks! I'll have a look at it. Any source available? And what about its speed, i.e. characters per second and memory usage?

The source is not available. About the speed: I didn't measure it, but you can download SysInfo here http://drac030.krap.pl/pl-si-pliki.php and see. IMHO it is fast enough.

The SDX driver is a little bit slower due to RAM banking (one switch per character), it occupies about 12 KB of ext RAM (out of this, 8 KB is font). The text output is 100% the same speed as the default GR.0 display, except the scrolls, which are slower (this can be fixed, though).

The built-in SysInfo code is much smaller (maybe 3-4 KB code+font, I don't really remember ATM) and also feels faster, no RAM banking required though.

Both are 64x24, so if you want to code a terminal 64x30, then simply go ahead.

Hmm,

there were some 64 columns drivers afaik in german magazines and/or applications, alas I do not remember where exactly and err, I did not collect them. However I did collect lots of 80 columns drivers, maybe they are helpful somehow. Attached are 6 disk-images with various 80 columns drivers... -Andreas Koch.

80_columns.zip

Waaaaaaaaaaay back in '85, I wrote an 80 column driver I sold to ANTIC or Analog (I forget which now... it was my very first commercial program). I also used it in a VT100 console I used with a JCAT modem to do my programming on the university mainframe from home at a BLAZING 300 BAUD!! :grin:

If I am remembering rightly, that program was called Easy80.It was an example of text and graphics in Graphics mode 8.I played with it and was able to modify it to save the text typed on the screen to a file.But I found the text was more readable using a monitor and even better with svideo.

Thanks! Looks like Bill Kendrick's flash80.com is the fastest w/ 1200-1400 characters per second.

That's the one I use if I want to test my code for 80 columns compatibility but it lacks support of cursor control like "positioning" and "clear screen". That is, the version I have does. Don't know if there are different versions.

I have source code with a couple of my 80 column handlers here: http://atari.kenscla...8utilities.html

Was going to double check for sure source code is included as I have listed but don't have an unarc utility handy at the moment.

Thanks! Now I am confused. The flash80 documentation in CharlieChaplin's zip-file says it's Bill Kendricks. It seems to be the same code as yours, and yours include source code. I assume it was you who wrote it then?

I'll have to try to find the source for mine. Haven't thought about it since the late 80's when I got my Amiga 500. I've got a lot of nifty stuff on floppy in a box somewhere that I did for the Atari... like a disassembly of The Eidolon. The cell animation routines in that game are really nice.

Thanks! Now I am confused. The flash80 documentation in CharlieChaplin's zip-file says it's Bill Kendricks. It seems to be the same code as yours, and yours include source code. I assume it was you who wrote it then?

Ah,

my fault I guess. If you read the original docs by Ken Siders for Flash 80 and compare them with the doc. on my disk - they are the same, except that another and wrong author (Bill Kendrick) is mentioned in my doc. I am gonna change that error in the doc. asap...

Besides, how about an ARC2ZIP utility for the command line ? Or how about IZARC which can arc/unarc, zip/unzip, rar/unrar, etc.: http://www.izarc.org/ for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and also for iOS. Attached you will find the ARC2ZIP utility...

-Andreas Koch.

arc2zip.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin