IGNORED

Atari 2600 paddles + Commodore 64 = KA-BOOM!?!?

mäsäxi

Hello!

Is it safe to connect Atari 2600 paddles to Commodore 64? I know, Commodore 64 has Atari type joystick ports, but I am asking as I know that certain old computer´s controlling hardware, like mouses etc, may be dangerous to use on some other old computer. In the past I once visited some site, which had list of 8- and 16-bit computers and their hardware and each hardware had a description if it may cause a short circuit if used on some other computer.

That´s why I want to be sure before I will try anything else than ordinary Atari type joysticks.

Other question is, if it can´t short circuit my Commodore 64, will Atari 2600 paddles work properly on Commodore 64?

Kind Regards,

MäSäXi

Edited by mäsäxi

The C64 can use the same joysticks and paddles, however Atari paddles contain a potentiometer with twice the resistance of C64 paddles - range of motion will be limited accordingly. The capacitors that charge to read the paddles are contained within that wonderful subtractive analougue synthesiser know as the SID; the higher resistance in the Atari paddles are fine (just longer charging time/less motion) but don't risk damaging that fantastic chip with an unmodified genesis controller (shunts the cap).

• 2 weeks later...

but don't risk damaging that fantastic chip with an unmodified genesis controller (shunts the cap).

Yeah, I once loaned my Genesis gamepad to a friend to use on his C-64 cause I said it worked on my 130XE. A week later he said it wasn't working right... I do know that the C button is wired to one of the paddle signal but can't detect the A or start button.

The Sega pads also don't work on the ST, so I don't know how weird the (former) Commodore engineers made the joystick ports on those machines...