IGNORED

8-bitty iCade controller

SpiceWare

I ordered in a few iCade 8-bitty controllers for Xmas gifts, along with one for myself :)

post-3056-0-08029800-1352420386_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-03656900-1352420391_thumb.jpg

Been testing it out with my iPhone 4S this evening and it works as well as the iCade does with my iPad. The pairing has been simplified, no need to punch in the 4 digit code (it's 0000 which apparently means auto-pair). I also really like that it has a power switch on it - one annoyance with the iCade is it causes the iPad's software keyboard to not show up until the iCade goes to sleep. Solution for that is to go into the iPad's settings and turn off bluetooth, but the iCade should really have had a power switch on it.

One issue I've run into though is with Atari's Greatest Hits - it doesn't recognize the 8-bitty on my 4S. However, if I pair the 8-bitty with my iPad, it works fine there. Maybe there's something in AGH that assumes the iCade is only for the iPad.

Edited by SpiceWare

• 3 weeks later...

You might prefer the iCade Jr. or iCade Mobile.

I've seen some suction cup ball stands at Bed Bath & Beyond, plan to pick one up next time I'm there to restock my soda syrup. They look like this:

post-3056-0-02211700-1354304655_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-83399800-1354304726_thumb.jpg

That iCade mobile looks pretty cool! As long as Apple doesn't lock it out with an "update", I'm in!

To iOS, the iCade devices look just like a bluetooth keyboard. They way they work is one key is sent when you press a button (or move a direction), and another key is sent when you let go of the button (or release the direction).

If you check out their programming guide, you'll see that a W means "UP is held" while an E means "UP was released". The program must keep track of the state of each button.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying my iCade 8-bitty which I got in the mail yesterday. (I have the new iPad.) I sacrificed the wood grain sticker to open it up ... There are no solder points for the buttons .. So no mod possibilities .. Unless you gut the whole thing to put controller ports on it.

Edited by Rob Mitchell

• 7 months later...

I have Atari's Greatest Hits and Vectrex Regeneration installed on my iPad mini. I find that touch screen is very mediocre with both of these: a few games work alright, but a lot of screens just don't work well with "touch only" controls.

Last week I bought an iCade 8-Bitty. I couldn't find one in any local stores, so I ended up ordering one online for $25.

The 8-bitty is a decent size, shape and weight; very similar to an NES controller. It uses 2 AAA batteries, not included. When you power it on, there is a bright blue LED to indicate power. I found it very easy to link via Bluetooth, and starting using it right away. Response is pretty good, though I find the buttons to have a very noticeable clicking sound.

AGH seems to clue in right away that the 8-bitty is connected, so there is little mucking about with configuration. With Atari, it works fairly well, and is generally better than the touch screen controls for most games.

Where I found it excelled, though, was with the Vectrex emulator. The touch screen controls for VR are not bad for most games, but the 8-bitty works terrific. It really does make for an excellent gaming experience.

For $25 it is a pretty good deal!

It should be noted that the upcoming iOS 7 has a proper controller protocol and API, to allow for official controllers to be made for the system. Controllers like the iCade and iControlPad, which emulate a BT keyboard, will be rendered obsolete as developers move their focus to the official API.

I own an iCade and absolutely love it, but I feel it's important for people to know what's coming around the bend. I wouldn't spend too much on these devices, as their usefulness is slowly fading away.

It should be noted that the upcoming iOS 7 has a proper controller protocol and API, to allow for official controllers to be made for the system. Controllers like the iCade and iControlPad, which emulate a BT keyboard, will be rendered obsolete as developers move their focus to the official API.

I own an iCade and absolutely love it, but I feel it's important for people to know what's coming around the bend. I wouldn't spend too much on these devices, as their usefulness is slowly fading away.

To that end, Goldenegg, are we going to see an Apple controller with wide support? 16 bit rereleases and fighters are shit on iOS but controller support would change this drastically.

To that end, Goldenegg, are we going to see an Apple controller with wide support? 16 bit rereleases and fighters are shit on iOS but controller support would change this drastically.

It won't be controller specific anymore. There will likely be multiple controllers by different manufacturers, but they will all use the same protocol from Apple. All that's needed is for developers to leverage the new API. Since it's an Apple supported API, which is part of the OS, it's much more likely that developers will use it, unlike supporting 3rd party devices like the iCade.

It won't be controller specific anymore. There will likely be multiple controllers by different manufacturers, but they will all use the same protocol from Apple. All that's needed is for developers to leverage the new API. Since it's an Apple supported API, which is part of the OS, it's much more likely that developers will use it, unlike supporting 3rd party devices like the iCade.

Anyone know why it took Apple so long to do this? Hasn't HID has been standard in OS X since it replaced OS 9? Was there some financial advantage for Apple not to have standardized input APIs? Or is there a financial advantage to doing it now?

I suspect that some of Apple's decisions are based upon controlling third-party markets. No better way to put those uppity accessory manufacturers in their place than to change standards (like connectors), requiring expensive product changes. Apparently it's important for Apple to beat it's hos once in a while to remind them who da pimp is. After all, you don't want those ho accessory manufacturers to get too big, getting ideas like banding together to exert power and a unified front.

Anyone know why it took Apple so long to do this? Hasn't HID has been standard in OS X since it replaced OS 9? Was there some financial advantage for Apple not to have standardized input APIs? Or is there a financial advantage to doing it now?

Apple wasn't focused on having their products becoming gaming devices. Even when gaming took off on iOS devices, it was primarily touch type games which wouldn't benefit from physical controls. Now that developers have been releasing more and more games which could benefit from physical controls, they've decided to take the time to figure out how best to do this.

I suspect that some of Apple's decisions are based upon controlling third-party markets. No better way to put those uppity accessory manufacturers in their place than to change standards (like connectors), requiring expensive product changes. Apparently it's important for Apple to beat it's hos once in a while to remind them who da pimp is. After all, you don't want those ho accessory manufacturers to get too big, getting ideas like banding together to exert power and a unified front.

I'm not sure how anyone can look on this change as anything but an extreme positive. You currently have a market with no standardization for controllers, so manufactures each have their own mechanisms for communication. There's only a very tiny percentage of games which support these controllers, due to their limitations and potential to stop functioning with a simple OS update (the iCade nearly became a doorstop with iOS 6.0, but Apple backed out a BT keyboard update).

This new standard opens the door for accessory manufactures. They can now build products which are fully supported by the OS and are likely to see a high attach rate with developers. Consumers will have more choice over what controller to purchase and they'll have many more apps which support them.

Apple wasn't focused on having their products becoming gaming devices. Even when gaming took off on iOS devices, it was primarily touch type games which wouldn't benefit from physical controls.

Apple wasn't focused on gaming but developers have been for quite a while. Since at least 2009 there have been mainstream articles about how Apple is a massive player in the gaming market. The iPad was released in 2010. The iCade in 2011. So, conservatively iOS has been a prominent gaming platform since 2011. That's a long time to be a prominent player in the market and not have standardized APIs.

iOS is based on OS X. OS X had HID long before iOS existed. I was simply wondering why it took them so long to port something they already had.

I'm not sure how anyone can look on this change as anything but an extreme positive. You currently have a market with no standardization for controllers, so manufactures each have their own mechanisms for communication. There's only a very tiny percentage of games which support these controllers, due to their limitations and potential to stop functioning with a simple OS update (the iCade nearly became a doorstop with iOS 6.0, but Apple backed out a BT keyboard update).

This new standard opens the door for accessory manufactures. They can now build products which are fully supported by the OS and are likely to see a high attach rate with developers. Consumers will have more choice over what controller to purchase and they'll have many more apps which support them.

I'm not against this change at all. I think it is too long in coming.

I mentioned Apple as a pimp beating their accessory making hos as a joke. Common... imagine Apple dressed as a pimp driving a pimpmobile with a wakka wakka soundtrack and not laugh. It may not have been a good joke, but it should still be recognizable as an attempt at humor.