IGNORED

ULTRASATAN

lotharek

As per request to share experiences:

I received notification from Canada Post that my parcel arrived on Friday, I have to pick it up on Monday.

So from date of shipment to date of arrival in Edmonton, Alberta is 58 days.

This is the first time anything from Lotharek (I've ordered 4 times) has gone longer than 15-18 days.

Next time I order (and I will again) I will pay the extra for speedier shipping.

In the Netherlands I received many packages from abroad. My experiences:

• If they are from the EU, they arrive generally very quickly (within a week) except when sent from the UK. The British Royal Mail does not pass the package to the regular Dutch mail service but uses small and cheap local delivery companies which s*ck big time. It takes much longer (sometimes more than two weeks) than from other EU countries. When you are not home, you have to e-mail for a new delivery appointment or pick it up from a far away location. Once they put a package in front of the door at the streets while it was a busy road were dozens of people walk by. It was a wonder it was still there.
  • When it is from outside the EU it can take 2-3 weeks when no import fees/taxes have to be paid. But if taxes need to be paid it can easily take 5-6 weeks to arrive. Once a package was laying for more than a month at customs.

Robert

rdemming, same in France. Anything "continental" will be fast (I think it was with Lotharek I received his package in 3 days, once...), but when it has to go cross the channel, it's slow.

And the only lost packages I had were with UK sellers.

It's coming! :) While DHL still shows it as sitting in customs in Germany, I plugged the tracking number into Canada Post's site this morning and was surprised to see it entered Canada 4 days ago and is now in Halifax (the last mail stop before delivery to me). Although for some reason it says I won't get it for another 3-7 business days (already passed customs in Montreal). Anyway, the DHL nightmare is over!

So, Lotharek mailed it on the 25th of March. Assuming I get it in 3 days that is roughly two months and a week. Ah well. It is going in a 25 year old computer that I waited a couple of years to find a keyboard for and just got a megafile for last year. What's two months for an Ultrasatan!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the UK got an Ultrasatan that can loan/sell me a SD cart pre populated with games/demos?

Ive tried formatting a SD card and putting files on. Ive set up my card for 3 partitions, but the first partition I select seems to make the files on the other partitions invisible and showing as there's no files there, also even If I can see some files and then come back out and back into the folders the files are missing again even from drive C partition

I'm trying on a standard STFM 1Meg TOS 1.02

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated as after my testing that the Ultrasatan is working ok, im going to have to pack it all away for 3 months due to house renovations

Regards

Nige

It may be because bad quality SD card.

Here is disk image with autobootable driver and many games - you can write it onto SD card with USB card reader on PC.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html

It may serve as test. If it works OK, I have partitioner/driver SW http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php

for custom partitioning.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 2Gb drive image I could provide with some of the more popular titles, but it contains PP's driver, so you would need to pay the 10 euros to PP first before I could send you a copy.

Edit: not sure this is going to be practical... Might be able to offer a download or something, I need to think about this. Might setup an ICD drive and copy games etc to that, then upload image.

Edited by GadgetUK

Thx for the offer Gadget

Im still not able to get this working correctly, I even bought a SD from Ebay that was full of demos for £10

That looses the drive partition information as well so I cannot use it

£10 thrown away it seems

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Nigel

Thx for the offer Gadget

Im still not able to get this working correctly, I even bought a SD from Ebay that was full of demos for £10

That looses the drive partition information as well so I cannot use it

£10 thrown away it seems

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Nigel

Why you pay for it, when can DL for free: http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html

Possible reasons of your problem: in most cases it is because crap quality SD cards. Tr to get some decent brand, like Kingston. 4GB card should cost not more than 6-7 GBP.

It may be some DMA chip problem in Atari, or even UltraSatan self. Or weak power supply.

I just noticed that you have TOS 1.02. It means that you can work with partitions of max 256 MB size. So, image above is not good for you. I will try to make some shorter, with only 1x 250 MB partition, what will be good for testing, in few days.

What partition sizes you created in your unsuccessful test ?

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

If you are losing drive partition info it could be the DMA chip in your STe - it is an STe isn't it? If it is I would take it to bits and check that you don't have the faulty DMA chip.

Edit: just read you are using STFM like me. Buy the PP driver off PP - see my link. Or before you do you could download the SD image PP uploaded which has some games already on it.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html

Edit: just read PPs comments about TOS 1.02 - that's going to be your issue. I would upgrade to TOS 1.04 first. Take case to bits and check if you have socketed ROM chips. You can then buy a set off EBAY. I could program you 6 chips but I dont have any left at the moment and it works out just as cheap to buy a set already done on EBAY. If you get the 6 chip set you will need to solder 2 or 3 jumpers on motherboard.

Edited by GadgetUK

I have multiple STFM/STEs, I just tried with my original STFM from the 80s

Most are in storage at present so will take me a couple of weeks to dig the other ones out to try

The PSU was the one that Gadget said to get, hopefully this is okay, no real way to test voltage levels as pins are so small

Re the SD cart, I bought this from ebay

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FATARI-ST-SOFTWARE-1000-DEMO-PD-COLLECTION-SATANDISK-ULTRASATAN-SD-CARD-BOOTABLE-%2F141033211616%3Fpt%3DUK_VintageComputing_RL%26hash%3Ditem20d63c06e0

it doesn't work either

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

My US arrived yesterday. I've taken a look at the SD card that came with it on my PC and when I try to open it the file comes up with a prompt saying that the SD card has not been formatted. I assume that means that the SD card has been formatted for DOS and that I need to use the DOS system to access the card and transfer files to and from it.

I don't know very much about DOS and some information on the commands I need to use would be a great help.

My micro USB phone charger arrived today and I've powered up the US with the SD card and everything seems to be okay on that front. It's just a question of how to access the SD card from my PC so I can add or remove files.

A utility called Drive Image for ST 1.3 will allow you to see your ST partition on the PC. When you plug in the card and get the format popup, just cancel it and run the Drive Image app and you can manipulate the ST partition on the card.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php

Guys, if you're running any kind of Linux, then Mtools is the way to go.

I use it under Kubuntu Linux here and it rocks.

I create 2 gig SD cards on my US equipped STacy, not even using the

compatibility method - pure TOS through and through with HDDriver,

then pop it into my Linux box and from a shell access everything,

including file copies, deletes, etc,

Sure, you have to familiarize yourself with a few text commands but

if I can do it, anyone can.

HTHs.

Edited by DarkLord

My micro USB phone charger arrived today and I've powered up the US with the SD card and everything seems to be okay on that front. It's just a question of how to access the SD card from my PC so I can add or remove files.

On my Windows computers, some built in SD readers just will not read a SD card created as TOS/DOS on the ST. Plugging in a $5 USB SD card reader on the same computer and that can read them fine.